NFR Wine- Wa or CA

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Charles Sullivan, Apr 19, 2014.

1. Grayone

Grayone Fishin' to the end, Oc.P

" She has geographic tongue" .......Terroir....aka Terwa!

2. I will agree with you there about Pinot -- at least for OR Pinot, I have never had a good bottle of Pinot for under $10. It's more expensive to grow (low yields, other issues resulting in crop losses) and I guess that supply and demand thing. But I didn't want to disparage all Pinot as being bad -- but I too become tempted to disparage Burgundy Pinot as bad ... simply because I can't afford the good stuff!

I was just recently told about the increasing amount of Pinot Noir in Chile -- I'm going to seek some out and see what it's like and see if there are any values there. I'd like to find some PN from the Bio Bio valley - one of the furthest (the?) south growing areas in Chile - so the wines should reflect cool climate conditions and could be interesting.

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  3. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

I used to run an account team at a Portland ad agency that was a finalist for the Oregon Wine Advisory Council business in 1987, the same year that Willamette Valley VIneyards' pinot noir won Parker's first double blind shootout with French burgundies. The same three Oregon wines took the top three spots in both New York AND Paris a few months later against burgundies costing hundreds. That was the year that put the world on notice that Oregon pinots could run with the big dogs.

However, back then while *some* Oregon pinots were (and still are) absolutely outstanding, many or even most were not. Further, the collective winemaking experience was so thin that one year's champion vintage would be next season's swill. Yet following the Parker blowout, everybody's prices went up by half or more.

Fast forward nearly 30 years and the Oregon pinot industry has become a lot deeper following massive infusions of money and expertise from some of the world's biggest and most experienced producers. The wines are still expensive but the variability from year to year has gotten a lot better.

These days, my wine mantra is pretty simple: It doesn't take an expert with a world-class nose and palette to choose a GREAT bottle of wine. Anyone willing to plunk down a $100 bill has a good shot at picking a winner.

For me, my goal is to find out just how many GOOD bottles I can buy for the same money. Sadly, that rarely includes Oregon pinots except for very special occasions.

K

4. Kevin J. Burnham

Kevin J. Burnham Active Member

I'd say Ennis. That's what tell her then when you find out there is no wine then say well we came all this way might as well fish !!!

5. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

I think it's also known as benign migratory glossitis or erythema migrans per websites.

Onto the Pinot's. My wife does not like any. She's tried numerous. Including at a wine tasting where the guy was a Pinot snob and told my wife she'd definitely love it (supposedly highly rated). She ended up taking a drink and dumping rest in the dump bucket. Guy was offended. LOL.

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  6. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Sadly, I've found that too many domestic pinots can be thin and watery. Yes, there are some high-end ones that are outstanding. They're just not worth $30-$50 a bottle or more to me.

I was at a wedding last fall of some folks we drink wine with so it was not surprise they had some nice choices. Turns out they served a lovely California pinot by a second label of Caymus called Meiomi. $20-$25 is more than I usually pay, but this one was so outstanding that I made an exception. It's big and jammy with lots of fruit and an inky, dark color. It stands up well to strongly flavored dishes.

At $20, this is the lowest price I've yet seen it for: http://www.totalwine.com/eng/product/meiomi-pinot-noir/14738750

K

7. jersey

jersey livin' the dream

Too bad you cant come down... my work is associated to the wine biz. Lots of places to recommend.

Try pepperwood pinot for the frugal budget, its sometimes very worth it...

take kents recommendation seriously, caymus has access to fantastic grapes and the know how to use it. their wine is fantastic

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  8. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Jersey, you run into Dan Duckhorn, tell him Jerry Griffin says "hi"!

My mother was a de Haven, and since i'm half French, I don't taste wine-I drink it. Get me around champagne though, and it's pop to a frog. We chug the stuff. Wine "tasting" doesn't work at all for me, especially with the outrageous fees they charge here in Leavenworth.

9. lylelovett666

lylelovett666 Active Member

IMO most was wines taste unstemmed & unfinished. Seems that wa wine makers just can't take the time to properly age their wine. Ca produces some of the best wine on the planet. Worth the trip to Ca just to visit Cakebread.

10. All 100% true (or I should say I'm 100% in agreement - what do I know?) - while the variability from year to year in winemaking has gotten a lot better - there still is a huge variability X factor in Oregon pinot: Mother Nature.

The best Pinot (i.e. the Willamette) is not grown on the dry side - like where all the go-to WA wines are grown. As such, seasonal variability in temperatures and rain can make or break a vintage. Take vintages like 2007 and 2011, rainy and frigid (respectively) -- for most (but not all) producers it was an "off year". Keep an eye on 2012 - it is unfolding to be one of those once in a decade (or lifetime?) kind of years. Because the years are so different in OR vs. WA, it is one of the reasons I look forward to them.

Think of it like fly fishing ... if the fishing rocked your world every time (or even was just consistently good everytime), those once-a-season (decade?) dream come true kind of experiences wouldn't seem as special. For some of you guys who really know what you're doing, you can make lemonade out of lemons when the conditions are not in your favor, but for me that's one of the things I love about it -- you never know what you're going to get, you're always hopeful and full of anticipation, and excited to see what curveball Mother Nature and her fish throw at you. It's the unknown ... it's unkown because it's so variable.

good pinot in OR for <$25: Walter Scott, Belle Pente, Haden Fig, Evesham Wood, sometimes A to Z, sometimes Lorelle. NOTE: these are all the lower end of their lineups ... and often a $20-22 bottle in OR is $28 on the shelves in WA. But if you get your hands on the 2012 Walter Scott, Haden Fig or Evesham Wood ("Willamette Valley" bottlings), you can't go wrong. Another favorite is J.Albin ... but he's pushing $30 up in Seattle. small producers (except for A to Z)

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  11. ceviche

ceviche Active Member

I once dumped nearly a whole bottle of an Oregon Pinot towards a Coq Au Vin I was making (anyone remember that rooster I was trying to get rid of?). The damn thing was so damn tasty, I almost cried.

--Dave

12. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

Well we went to Kelowna and Penticton. We had a blast, although anytime I can get away with the wife sans kids for 3 days I will be happy.

I will likely be back there next year. This time possibly with the kids and a VRBO. Maybe with the boat and tube.

I did not fish. There are very few streams that we saw and I am not a lake man. The BC desert is hot in August. Canadian beer is awful (glad I brought some Sierras). I liked their wine, but in truth I like most red wines. Wifey enjoyed them too.

We spent a lot of money. B.C. stands for bring cash.

Go Sox,
    cds

13. psycho

psycho Active Member

Check out some of the Micro Brewers, some really good beers come out of them. Large brewers are all alike be they north or south of the line. Their product doesn't even qualify as horse piss.:D

14. stilly stalker

stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

I'm an old vine Zinfandel fan- Wa has nothing on California for this.

Not saying Wa doesn't make good wines, just not the wines I'm into

15. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

I tried some of he local beers on tap in Kelowna. Like every other Canadian craft beer I have had I was underwhelmed to say the least. The Canadians really need to step up their game. I suspect they will, but it will take time.

Go Sox,
    cds

16. Mark Kulikov

Mark Kulikov Active Member

Santa Ynez valley in Santa Barbara County Calif will rival Napa in wine tasting anytime. You can also treat her to the awesome food and shopping in the quaint little Danish town of Solvang at the same time.

Sent from my little square phone thingy...