Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Winter Lake Swap

Swap 
12K views 125 replies 16 participants last post by  Blue 
#1 ·
Winter Lake Swap Closed

Closed!

Looks like we are tying two flies. You can either tie two different patterns, or you can tie double of the same pattern that way if it works well for someone they have two if they break off. At this point we have either 12 or 13 tiers depending on TD. So plan on tying 12 (we may need to make it 13) of your favorite lake pattern and then either 12 (13) more of the same pattern or 12(13) of a second favorite pattern.

Once all your patterns are tied up ship them to me with either a self addressed stamped returnable envelope or money to cover shipping back. I'll send PMs to everyone involved with my address.

I know I'll be tying my skinny bloodworm, yes the one that Kristy killed them on at Lone. I'll tie my stillwater nymph as my second fly.

Looking at the calendar I think that two to three weeks should be plenty. Lets say a due date of no later than February 3rd. Chef don't worry about the time, come over one night and we'll crank them all out at once.

1. Irafly: DONE!
2. Rob Ast DONE!
3. Chef DONE!
4. Nailbender DONE!
5. troutpocket: DONE!
6. TD DONE!
7. Camo Clad Warrior DONE!
8. Ron McNeal DONE!
9. Bob Jones DONE!
10. Jeff Studebaker DONE!
11. mrcoachman DONE!
12. Rick Todd DONE!
13. Jeff Dodd DONE!
14. Blue DONE!

See less See more
#37 ·
Blue is sooooo in. With 14 tiers, you only need to tie 13 (unless you want me to send you your own fly back or you want to have me randomly send out extra flies to other tiers, I like that, I may just throw in a bonus fly or two for fun.

Ira..

#38 ·
On other ties, the ones involved would tie the number of flies as people. The extra flies were then given to someone in need or whatever.
We did one once where I auctioned off the box full of two fly ties and I sent the money (which by the way ended up $200.) to Orvis which doubled that amount for CFR. Or we have made up a box for some member on the forum. Just a thought. What is one more fly.

#45 ·
A little commercial here. I was feeling pretty good about this. Got the 14 bloodige done and Sally Hansened, so started on the Spiders. Figure I was making great time and would be able to send them by first part of next week.
Well, I got hungry so went to slice some Aged Cheddar with some crackers. The cheese is that stuff that smells like stinky feet...LOL and hard as a rock. I took the big ol' butcher knife and was cutting the wax off. Kept telling myself, cut away! I don't listen to even myself, honey so you should feel better about that LOL.
YUP, Caught the joint up by the finger nail on the pointing finger and the thumb on the left hand. Throb! Hardest part, putting the bandage on.
Good news, it doesn't effect my tying,....WOHOO! So again, by the first of the week.
I will now return you to the regularly schedule tying.

#47 ·
Blue sorry to here about your cuts.I spent some time in Utah back in the 80s. I fished the provo river
and the green, wow the green was awesome. I'll be dropping my flys off at Iras today,ends up we live not to far apart here in Everett. Can't wait to see all the different types of bugs!
Mark

#50 ·
Great now we can't fish her flies in artificial only waters because they have added scent. :) Smashed my thumb real bad a couple weeks back as I was putting my boat trailer on the hitch. Ended up missing my ferry in order to do some doctoring (lucky for me my wife is a nurse), I did manage to catch the next ferry and still ended up having a somewhat decent day fishing but that thumb did get in the way of tying for a week or so.

Hope all heels well.

Ira..

#54 ·
Finished mine tonight. A marabou minnow with red hackle gills, and a black & silver buzzer with marabou gills.

They'll be in the mail on Monday. Can't wait to see what everyone else sends in (so I can cannibalize your ideas for my stillwater arsenal).

#58 ·
Jeff Studebaker, I love that baitfish pattern and I almost put that chironomid in my mouth, I can't imagine how the fish will avoid it. Three tiers done and in and so far... man they are awesome.

Ira..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.