Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Winter Lake Swap

Swap 
12K views 125 replies 16 participants last post by  Blue 
#1 ·
Winter Lake Swap Closed

Closed!

Looks like we are tying two flies. You can either tie two different patterns, or you can tie double of the same pattern that way if it works well for someone they have two if they break off. At this point we have either 12 or 13 tiers depending on TD. So plan on tying 12 (we may need to make it 13) of your favorite lake pattern and then either 12 (13) more of the same pattern or 12(13) of a second favorite pattern.

Once all your patterns are tied up ship them to me with either a self addressed stamped returnable envelope or money to cover shipping back. I'll send PMs to everyone involved with my address.

I know I'll be tying my skinny bloodworm, yes the one that Kristy killed them on at Lone. I'll tie my stillwater nymph as my second fly.

Looking at the calendar I think that two to three weeks should be plenty. Lets say a due date of no later than February 3rd. Chef don't worry about the time, come over one night and we'll crank them all out at once.

1. Irafly: DONE!
2. Rob Ast DONE!
3. Chef DONE!
4. Nailbender DONE!
5. troutpocket: DONE!
6. TD DONE!
7. Camo Clad Warrior DONE!
8. Ron McNeal DONE!
9. Bob Jones DONE!
10. Jeff Studebaker DONE!
11. mrcoachman DONE!
12. Rick Todd DONE!
13. Jeff Dodd DONE!
14. Blue DONE!

See less See more
#87 ·
I think all will be in on time, a rarity in the a swap. Camo's mids came in today and I even though winter might stick around all these flies will fish year round, this is turning out to be a great swap!

Ira..

#92 ·
Ron, I tried imagine something exactly like that soft hackle for a few slurper days I've come across but could not quite put my finger on it. That fly does not go into my box until I tie many many more of them. At first I thought you tied my exactly 13 extra flies with nice little tags each, guess I'll send those beautiful bugs out to everyone as well.

Just waiting on Jones and Chefs.

Ira..

#95 ·
My recipe for the two flies. the chronomid Hook TMC 3769 #16. Thread Premium 6/0 black or white, 4 black beads #11 or #15 , Gills White ostrich herl, and / or white bead size 10. okay? now the Damsel nymph.Hook TMC #300 Size #10/12 About a dozen weaps of medium lead wire, Thread danv. 6/0 olive. Tail and wing marabou olive. Body wool yarn and special olive synthetic sparkle yarn twisted and wrapped around body That's it. thanks

This post has been deleted
#96 ·
Thanks Ira. Nice to hear that that pattern resonated with you. I've told more people about this fly, given more away than I can count, but I always feels they don't believe me: that it's just too plain, too simple, too insignificant, and, as a result, just never fish the damn thing. Their loss........................
Nope, as soon as I saw it I recognized its value, can't believe I don't have it in my box already, I'm almost literally itching to use it.

Ira..

#98 ·
All Flies Are in, and they were all in on time. Last flies dropped off at 8:30 PM on the 3rd. I would have had them all shipped out on Friday but my day Friday ended up being a tad too exhausting so shipped them out around 11:00 AM today. Some should see them Monday others will have to wait until Tuesday or in Blue's case, I'm not sure. Those picking up might even see them today.

As for me, heck I've already fished a couple patterns and caught fish on mrcoachman's pattern.

Next up, let's post a little best of: Like: Best looking fly as far as asthetic apeal, The fly most likely to catch fish, The fly that did catch you the most fish other than your own or one tied by your fishing buddy, Best tag, Fly you are most likely going to imitate the quickest before you lose it... Add your own categories if you like.

I should have the photo's up today. For those that did not tag their flies, I tried to keep track and I'll identify your fly in the photos if I got it wrong, let me know. I'll post a link here when they are done. When the photo's are up we all expect recipes if you don't we will bug you until you do.

Lastly, if you look throught the photo's and realize that you have extra's or you are missing a fly let me know, I tried real hard to make sure that everyone ended up with everything but with over 364 flies I might have messed up somewhere, heck at the end I almost forgot to add my own flies to the mix because I was so busy separating out all yours. Man that would have made me the biggest swapmeister heel ever.

Great! Swap.

Ira...

#100 ·
Ok, here is the link http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/gallery/u1405-irafly.html

For some reason or another, I messed up and it did not end up in the fly swap sub category. So now it is in my album. If you have better pics (Like I think Rick's pics of his flies are better on this thread) feel free to post them here, trust me you will not hurt my feelings. MrCoachman, I still have your recipe, I'll put it up for you under your bug.

Ira..

#110 ·
Ira and every one I am pretty bad and very humbled. your flies arrived today and I was sitting here tying a few and also checking the forum. and wow you guys are good. I never had real lessons or tied with anyone so have had little to compare to but I'm not even in the class with you guys. MY flies are simple but usually work is all that has gotten me by I guess but I really love what came in the mail I'm sorry it wasn't afair exchange. Thanks so much for the opportunity to share with all of you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.