Winter Steelies, any luck and where?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Peter Pancho, Dec 10, 2002.

1. Peter Pancho

Peter Pancho Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Hello, was wondering if anyone is doing fairly well with the Winter Steelie action? I myself only hooked 2 on my last 4 trips. What fly patterns work best for Winter Steelies? I'm having problems hooking up. Maybe I just need more patience, I don't know. I'm trying not to think about bringing my spinning rig as my backup. But seeing the GearChuckers hookup 5 times in an hour is kinda sickening!
    I use the basic 5' type3 sinktip with 12' leader/flourocarbon tippet, fishing in water no deeper than 4'.

Thanks guys for your help!

"Follow Me and I will make you fishers of Men"
    Matthew 4:19

2. Paul Huffman

Paul Huffman Lagging economic indicator

Media:
    Home Page:
    A 12 FT. leader?

3. Scott Behn

Scott Behn Active Member

Media:
    I have only been fishing the Pilchuck since it has opened and I have only seen one and my brother-in-law has seen two other then that we have been catching src, dollies, and occasional chum. When will they (Steelies) be here. I'm tired of seeing nothing but chums, especially now that alot of 'em are littering the banks with bodies and serious stank!!!
    Scott

4. Philster

Philster Active Member

Media:
    Rain = Fish. All steelhead fishers should have a smile on their face with the recent "turn" in the weather. Big winds on the weekend also equals less fishermen. Another smile...

5. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Media:
    Home Page:
    Low water flows are part of the momentary problem. Then there's the gear fishermen killing too many fish, especially and specifically wild steelhead and salmon.There just aren't that many fish around. So you actually did pretty good. Bragging good. As for the rig, maybe try a shorter leader, about four feet on that tip and in that water.

6. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    What do I know---I'm just an old man

Went to the Skagit this morning and went by the way of up the N/Fork Stilly. Well on the way there the river was clear and on the way back it was a nice shade of brown.Most coming out of deer Creek.

Jim

7. Peter Pancho

Media:
    Home Page:
    Yeah, I thought my leader was kinda long. Looks like I'm gonna have to make my own leader/tippets. What brand of leader/tippets do you guys use and why? For leaders, I use Maximas 7'tapered(green package) with Seagars Grandmax Tippet. I buy both at Sportco in Fife, both are SUPER CHEAP!

8. Philster

Philster Active Member

Media:
    Yeah... I hear you. But I'm betting there will be some fish, and some cleaner water around this weekend... I'm also betting you know where that will be Old Man :WINK

9. Dino

Dino New Member

Had a ton of hookups on the lyre on the penninsula over Thanksgiving weekend,

Using single egg patterns with about 4 feet of 10# then a tippet of 8# of about 5 feet with a single twist on to get the fly down fast about a foot up from the fly.

Only problem is this is a really tite area so you must I repeat MUST have a few different casts in your bag of tricks. Try a good roll cast or a steeple.

Have fun and enjoy the strikes.

"I fish therefore I am"

10. Peter Pancho

Media:
    Home Page:
    where in Lyre River were you? We camped there last summer and fished it a little with little luck. Beautiful river though, stayed at the smaller camp ground. Did you fish where the log jam was futher up the river under the freeway bridge? It is really tight there.

11. Nailknot

Nailknot Active Member

Media:
    I just fashion my own leaders with Maxima Ultra Green tippet spools in 12, 10 and 8 lb, maybe with Seagar Flouro 8lb when conditions are low and clear. I tie them with double or triple surgeon knots on the river as they break off. Length varies from 8 to 4 ft depending...

12. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    What do I know---I'm just an old man

Oh no not me. What makes you think that I know where the clearer water will be. Just because I've been fishing around here for about 40 years. What makes you think I know. Heh,Heh,Heh. :DEVIL

Jim

13. Rob Blomquist

Rob Blomquist Formerly Tight Loops

Media:
    I build my own leaders out of Rio Max or Rio Max IGFA. I like it because its is not too limp, as I don't need a floppy tippet for winter steelies, and its very clear, almost hard for my eyes to see to tie blood knots in.

My leaders are basic tapers from 20# to 8-12# in the 3-6 foot length. I like short leaders with heavy tippets 12 or 16# with heavy or bulky flies, and longer ones with smaller flies in clear water.

As has been said around here, Bill McMillian is said to fish floating lines and long leaders in the winter. So there are many ways to catch a steelie.

Rob
    ---------
    Genetic pollution damages wild
    stocks, bonk those Hatchery Zombies!