Wolves on the Westside?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by scottr, Aug 19, 2012.

1. dflett68 Active Member

snohomish
    Ratings: +179 / 0
    best paragraph i've ever read on this forum. can't wait to see the church of science respond. of course, it's not possible to have a rounded world-view without the kind faith you reference, because there's too much to know for any person to experience themselves. we have to pick and choose what we really care to know for ourselves through experience and personal observation, and even then it is mostly chasing the wind. which, to me, has always been the best reason to leave room for the possibility that i am wrong, the experts are only partly right, and the person i am currently debating with most likely has something to offer that is useful and at least partly true.
  2. Flyborg Active Member

Kalama, WA
    Ratings: +583 / 0
    Don't get me wrong--I hold science, truth and knowledge in very high regard. I just happen to think it's current place in society is misjudged, misused and misaligned with peoples perceptions. What we often state is science is anything but. I think it was Sagan again who said that we depend greatly on science and technology but the masses really don't understand what science is (that's probably a poor interpretation of the quote on my part). And again, as you pointed out, you can't form a rounded worldview without faith--whether it's faith in science or something else, there simply isn't enough time to do all the math ourselves. That's why I hold such a disdain for fundamentalism. What people regard as truth is rarely known as truth, so not allowing room for other viewpoints seems insincere in honest discourse.
  3. TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

Vancouver, WA.
    Ratings: +34 / 0

Interesting take, but for me its boring relativism. If you doubt everything, nothing gets done or learned to carry onto the next step. No progression because you are always doubting something you already "learned". Dude, we are talking philosophy on a flyfishing board on a post discussing wolves LOL. Jarrod, lets fish and talk this over.
  4. Flyborg Active Member

Kalama, WA
    I don't doubt everything, I just hold the truth in higher regard than most ;)

Is it relativism? Probably, but due to the internet and corporate sponsorship of knowledge, the concept of relativism is more real and dangerous than ever. If you don't hold the truth in very high regard, you'll believe anything. Does that hold back progress? No, it makes sure we have the right kind of progress. Being skeptical of the truth doesn't mean you believe in no truth.
    And this is completely relevant to the discussion at hand. People have been quoting empirical observation and presenting it as science and fact, when it's neither. It's just observation.
  5. Flyborg Active Member

Kalama, WA
    And hell yeah, lets fish after work this week.
  6. triploidjunkie Active Member

Grand Coulee, WA
    Ratings: +1,000 / 0
    98d1158920230-kindergartens-oerlikon-zurich-hijack.gif
  7. Golden Trout Active Member

North Central Washington
    Ratings: +32 / 0
  8. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,235 / 9
    Triploidjunkie, you will forever be held responsible for this nightmare!

What does one do with a dead wolf after one shoots it?
  9. Flyborg Active Member

Kalama, WA
    Eat it, I would hope.
  10. 5shot Member

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +11 / 0

Make a nice rug for the den wall...
  11. Flyborg Active Member

Kalama, WA
    Ask Burt to do a wolf version of this:

[IMG]
  12. Gary Thompson dirty dog

East Wenatchee, WA
    Ratings: +106 / 0
    Well if a guy killed a wolf legal and the pelt was winter prim it could be worth $400.00 to $500.00
    I would like to have a wolf pelt on the wall, it would look good with the bear and the deer antlers, the fish pics and wood carvings, fly rods, muzzle loaders, bows, ya know, man cave stuff.
    I got to thinks about the wolf killing just for the fun of it.
    From all I've learned about wild predators, wolves, big cats, they don't kill just because it's fun or because it's easy.
    Dogs and house cats will kill for fun.
    I personally know of a mountain lion that killed a llama and did not eat any of it, didn't come back the next nite or the nite after to feed on the llama. We were waiting maybe that was why it didn't return.
    Long story short we called the man with the hounds and they found the old tom cat 8 miles away and killed him.
    He had llama fur stuck on him. Guilty
    I'm not saying that the wolves would not kill a bunch of sheep then run off and hunt up an elk and eat the elk instead. It just seems strange behavior for a wild predator.
    "Wolf dogs gone wild" in America, dropped off in a neighbor hood like yours.
    Mommy get yer gun.