Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Woman's Wading Jacket Sizing?

385 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Freestone 
#1 ·
Want to get a friend a jacket. My older men's medium Simms Freestone jacket is just a bit too small/tight for her when layered up for cold weather fishing. Any suggestions? Same size but in a women's version? Do Redington and Simms fit any different in the same sizes? A men's large would be too big (thankfully ;)).

#2 ·
Try not to laugh...
I love the Simms Women's jacket. Tried to talk myself into buying one (no one will know...)
I never did, but know that a Women's Large was about the same as a men's medium.
If you really want to know, call 'Pandy' at Simms customer service with your friends measurements. There are several women at Simms that should be able to give you real sizing advice.

#3 ·
... a Women's Large was about the same as a men's medium.
That's about right but it can vary significantly not only between brands, but also between models within a brand. There seems to be way less size standardization in women's clothing. To me, much of the women's stuff on the market seems like it is made to be worn only in warm weather and/or look form-fitting, not to be layering for winter steelhead fishing. I still wear an old men's size Small Patagonia SST jacket as it is really roomy and can fit enough layers to stay warm all winter (usually 5 including a puffy jacket). I would have to go up to an XL in most women's jackets to fit as many layers.

I'd call Simms as Anil suggested but I would also highly recommend having her try it on first if at all possible. If that isn't possible, be sure to do the try on session well before a trip so exchanges can be made if needed. As you know, she is likely to get far colder than you will so have her try it on with as many layers as will she thinks she will ever need, then pile on 1 or 2 more! She may not win a spot on the cover of a fashion magazine but she'll be warm.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.