Wood handled spey rod?

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by Mikey_Mac, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Mikey_Mac

Mikey_Mac Member

Hey ya'll-

I found a couple spey blanks for a good deal at the sportmans show. They're biggins- 15' 11 weights. I am planning on building them up for my wife and I. Here's my question: I have never fished a spey rod before, and my wife is little (5'2"). I am an experienced wood turner, and was wanting to turn some kick ass wood handles for these things. I know that spey handles are huge, so would the extra weight of wood be too much for this behemoth? My thinking is that it might actually help a bit in balancing it out, since they're so long. Am I wrong? Tell me what to do, oh wise ones...

2. FLGator

FLGator Member

The weight from a wooden handle isn't going to be a problem. Take a look at Gary Anderson's and bob meisers wood grips and see what you think.

3. Matthew LeBret

Matthew LeBret Active Member

Media:
    Depending on the action of the blank it might flex into the butt and having it ridged at the top of the fore grip might stress the blank causing a sheer point. Mixing wood with cork or burl will take that stress off the blank.

4. Tyler Speir

Tyler Speir Artist

Media:
    Home Page:
    I agree with Matthew 100%...

5. WABOWMAN

WABOWMAN Active Member

What Matt said.

6. Derek Day

Derek Day Rockyday

Media:
    Snap! But if you've turned a bit of wood, you shouldn't have a problem coming up with something really cool that incorporates wood and cork.

7. Douglas Webb

Douglas Webb New Member

Media:
    I turn wood grips and bore them out and insert urethane arbors which reduces weight and allows for some flex. I just signed on to this site and posted a couple of pics in the gallery of a switch grip (wood) and a spey grip (cork with wood accents.