Wood handled spey rod?

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by Mikey_Mac, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Hey ya'll-

I found a couple spey blanks for a good deal at the sportmans show. They're biggins- 15' 11 weights. I am planning on building them up for my wife and I. Here's my question: I have never fished a spey rod before, and my wife is little (5'2"). I am an experienced wood turner, and was wanting to turn some kick ass wood handles for these things. I know that spey handles are huge, so would the extra weight of wood be too much for this behemoth? My thinking is that it might actually help a bit in balancing it out, since they're so long. Am I wrong? Tell me what to do, oh wise ones...

2. The weight from a wooden handle isn't going to be a problem. Take a look at Gary Anderson's and bob meisers wood grips and see what you think.

3. Depending on the action of the blank it might flex into the butt and having it ridged at the top of the fore grip might stress the blank causing a sheer point. Mixing wood with cork or burl will take that stress off the blank.

4. I agree with Matthew 100%...

5. What Matt said.

6. Snap! But if you've turned a bit of wood, you shouldn't have a problem coming up with something really cool that incorporates wood and cork.

7. I turn wood grips and bore them out and insert urethane arbors which reduces weight and allows for some flex. I just signed on to this site and posted a couple of pics in the gallery of a switch grip (wood) and a spey grip (cork with wood accents.