Wulff Irresistible SBS

Discussion in 'Fly Tying Step by Step / Video' started by ScottP, Feb 22, 2013.

1. [​IMG]

Or is it a Rat-faced McDougal? Whatever, it's a pain, especially trying to execute a reverse pinch-wrap on a clump of pre-trimmed calftail in a very tiny space and I was working with a pretty big piece of iron. Having to tie a bunch of these on #16's would be a level of Hell even Dante never imagined. After we get back from our hike, I'm gonna try it tying tail and wing in first before spinning the body.

hook - Dai Riki 320 #12
    thread - UTC 140 tan
    tail - moose body hair
    body - caribou
    wing - calftail white
    hackle - brown/grizzly

mash barb, attach thread at 60% mark and wrap back to point above barb

[​IMG]

clean and stack a clump of moose body hair

[​IMG]

measure for length (hook shank) and tie in

[​IMG]

trim butts and cover with thread

[​IMG]

clean a clump of caribou (no need to stack since you're throwing away the tip section) and trim fairly short so it clears the hook point when it spins around the shank

[​IMG]

pack it back and repeat with a second clump

[​IMG]

cover tail with tape to protect it during body trimming

[​IMG]

trim body; this took a while to get the proper shape and looking back, it's a bit fat

[​IMG]

clean and stack a clump of calftail; trim to length (hook shank + a bit for tie-in)

[​IMG]

execute a reverse pinch wrap (hold the hair with right hand and wrap with left; opposite if you're a southpaw); a little bit of gel Super Glue (thin stuff wicks up the hair like crazy and leaves you with an unintended "post" - trust me, this is the 3rd wing I've attempted on this fly) and a couple more wraps will anchor it

[​IMG]

divide and post the wings

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

prep the hackle and tie in

[​IMG]

wrap hackle, half hitch x 2, SHHAN and walk away being thankful you don't have to tie these for a living

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Regards,
    Scott

Mark Mercer, Jackd and Eyejuggler like this.
  2. When fly tying becomes too easy for you, tie up some Irresistibles to put things back in prespective. :)

3. Hike went well

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

back to the fly

wing and tail in & taped

[​IMG]

body

[​IMG]

split

[​IMG]

posted

[​IMG]

hackled & done

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Option #2 was a lot easier. If I ever tie these again it'll be this way; ef the reverse pinch wrap.

Regards,
    Scott

Builder likes this.