Yeti or?

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by Mark Walker, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Active Member

Looking for opinions on a 50qt overpriced cooler for vehicle/trailer camping. :D
    Thanks.

2. Tacoma Red

Tacoma Red Active Member

Ughhh. I thought you had a pic of Sasquatch or a guy in an ape suit.

3. plaegreid

plaegreid Saved by the buoyancy of citrus

I too was baited by the title! I want blurry photos of cryptids, gosh darn it! :D

4. Kevin J. Burnham

Kevin J. Burnham Active Member

They are the rage !!! It all depends what you want. I'll just say this at that price I'd put a booby trap by it. Very hot little item on the douchebag tweeker list !!!!

5. Teenage Entomologist

Teenage Entomologist Gotta love the pteronarcys.

6. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

Mark, you have already stated that they are overpriced so there are no surprises there. If you have it-spend it, there is probably nothing better on the market.

I recently bought a new smaller Coleman to replace my 80qt model. It is one of the extended cold models and does very well for my car camping needs-certainly better than my 2 decade old model. It was hard to find one without those jive assed wheels on it but I did and am very happy with it. Years ago before they built the efficient models they do today we would camp at Kelly Creek at the end of June. We had the old metal clad Coleman's of the day and always topped off with ice at Orofino. When we reached Kelly we would find a spot in that would be in the shade all week, place the coolers there and cover them with old sleeping bags that we would soak in the river every day. That more than doubled the life of the ice. Using that same technique with a modern cooler would be even more effective. You can buy several Coleman's and expedition sleeping bags to cover them for the price of one Yeti! But if I were in your shoes I would buy the Yeti anyway-just for the braggin' rights.:D

Ive

7. obiwankanobi

obiwankanobi Active Member

My gf and I bought one last summer before a week long camping trip. We dry iced it before we loaded it and our ice could have lasted the trip but we chose to buy replacement ice after 4 days. I had to make a quick trip to get a fly removed out of my finger so since we headed to town we bought some supplies.

One thing to possibly think about is to only use the yeti for ice storage to resupply your old cooler with your food. We noticed that if you have to get into your cooler a lot even a yeti will hold ice for only so long.

8. Mark Walker

9. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

I'm pretty slow I guess but it just occurred to me that all coolers represent a design that is about 100 years old and other than better insulation nothing has improved. They all have a fatal flaw in that every time you want to get out a bottle of beer that that has a footprint of about 4 square inches you have to open a lid that is closer to two square feet. Of course the ice melts soon. It seems to me that a 6'' X 6'' hatch or round port would allow you to reach in and get many of the items that are smaller sized without incurring a complete change of air that opening the entire lid causes.

Another blunder by manufacturers is the current trend to put cup holders in the lid. My new Coleman has 4 of these things and they are just stupid. If you put drinks in the damned things and open the lid....well, gravity rules. But just as bad is the fact that there are 4 places on the lid where the insulation is either paper thin or non existent. This flies in the face of building a more efficient cooler. Fortunately there is a fix. I cut 4 tapered rounds out of 2'' Styrofoam and glued them in place flush with the top of the lid. Some white calk around the edges and a coat of Kilz and the problem is solved. The lid-as-cupholder thing was someone's wet dream that they sold to marketing but was ill conceived from the get-go.

freestoneangler and ribka like this.
  10. Old406Kid

Old406Kid Active Member

Mark,
    You might take a look at the Pelican coolers.
    http://www.pelicancases.com/pelican-vs-yeti-s/141.htm
    Costco had the larger size for a decent??? price.
    Lifetime warranty and some really good design features in my opinion.
    That being said, I have several friends with Yeti's and all are satisfied and one friend
    with an Engle who said he would probably buy the Yeti if he had it to do over. (Might be a cult thing);)

Why do they all have to be so damn heavy?

11. Dan Nelson

Dan Nelson Hiker, Fisher, Writer, Bum

Yeti's still have one of the best ice-holding abilities, but their competitors are closing in. For 50 qt, the Yeti would be my choice, but if you don't want to carry a 26-pound cooler (empty weight) then check out the new Igloo Yukon Roller line: http://www.igloocoolers.com/Coolers/All-Coolers/Yukon-50-Roller-Tan

Great way to get nearly identical insulation with the convenience of a wheeled box.

12. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

They are nice I know people who have them & swear by them. If your only using them for 3 or four day trips I have'nt seen any big advantage over my coleman cooler. But on longer trips thats where they are an obvious advantage.that said likely as not ten years from now I'll still be looking for one in a garage sale!!

Jeff Dodd and flybill like this.
  13. Trapper Badovinac

Trapper Badovinac Author, Writer, Photographer

I have two matching Yetis (a balanced load on a mule is a happy thing!). They have performed very well under very harsh conditions like getting banged against trees and opened and closed thousands of times.

They are so efficient, I no longer use ice for 9-day back country trips.

They are USFS bear proof certified, so I don't have to hang them every night.

When I bought my first one years ago, they were pretty much the best game in town. Now, there are a bunch of others out there that are built the same. If I were buying coolers now, I'd seriously shop around and look at their competition - Grizzly, Igloo, K2, Engle, Pelican (which is now on sale at CostCo.)

I found this test of the high end coolers.

http://sportsmansnews.com/2013/05/extreme-coolers/#.UhN0iOC0LtV

This was what they found:
    Trapper

14. Mark Walker

Thanks for that link, Trapper.

Liking some of the features on this one; lid folds back farther than Yeti, solid rubberized grip handles opposed to rope, large drain plug with keeper/stow slot, & price. Insulation thicknesses seem to be on par with Yeti and others.
    Anyone have one?
    Thoughts?
    http://www.samsclub.com/sams/sportsman-cooler/prod10150470.ip?navAction=

15. Old406Kid

Old406Kid Active Member

Don't know much about the cooler but great video!!!

16. Casey Hodges

Casey Hodges Member

I have the 20 qt and 65 qt Yeti's and love them. The 65 is there best do-everything size. Get a tan one, because the white doesn't stay white for long. And a good lock!

17. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Haven't run the math, but how many fewer bags of block ice will it take to pay for one of these as opposed to using my plain-Jane Coleman? And Ive just defined the holy grail of cooler design... writing up the patent right now ;).

18. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Reminds me of the old Samsonite luggage commercials with the gorilla.

19. troutdopemagic

troutdopemagic Active Member

I've owned two Yeti's for close to 2 years now. I didn't understand why they cost so much until i bought it. They hold ice ridiculously long, incredibly durable, and bear proof. Nothing I've ever seen compares. If I had one gripe, its that they are very heavy, but they wouldn't work aswell if they were lighter.

20. chewydog

chewydog Active Member

When you do that math, make sure you include your time and gas running into town when you could be fishing.