your favorite fly why ?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by cutthroat kid, Sep 14, 2013.

1. cutthroat kid

cutthroat kid cut throat kid

my favorite saltwater fly from the beach is the size 6 or 8 wool head sculpin.

I have been fly fishing for 2 years and , like a lot of new fly casters I bought and tried lots of different
    types of flies, sand lance polychaete, coho killers, buggers ect, but I have caught 50 % of my cutthroats and all of Coho salmon on a brown wool head sculpin with duck feathers.

1 It floats on the water and rides high in the water column when I fish it with and intermediate sinking line, so it often does not get caught on rocks and grass when searching shallow water from the shore before entering, the water

2 its tightly spun woolhead cone head makes, lots of vibration like a bait fish in both still and moving water, which can be heard and sensed by fish through their lateral line

3 dark in color it works in most of the time, in low light conditions, which is quite a lot of time, considering Puget sound is often murky and often overcast during the spring and fall.

4 it is easy to cast with length and precision on a 12 lb leader and 10 lb tippet and turns over quite nicely with and easy landing

5 when I fish it, I strip 3 short 2 to 3 in strips and then pause to make it look like erratically moving sculpin
    6 you and also gradually move your rod tip back towards you while striping to make it look like a panicked bait fish

I buy them at the gig harbor fly shop and I always have 4 in my box

what is your favorite fly and why

2. Phil Fravel

Phil Fravel Friendly

Media:
    OK Ill play

I have lots of favorite flies.

So from the beach. I would have to say Clouser. does not hang up

From a boat Shock n Awe

Why?????
    catch fish and reasonably easy and fast to tie

3. Tom Bowden

Tom Bowden Active Member

Media:
    I get most of my sea-runs and resident coho on two patterns: the Rolled Muddler and a Gold Woolley Bugger.

The Rolled Muddler was designed years ago in B.C. to imitate a small sculpin, and also works well as a fry imitation. I tie it very sparsely, using red tying thread that might look like gills. Most of the time I use one with a silver body and natural mallard wing, but I've also had success with gold. I tie it on with a loop knot, which enhances the action.

My Woolley Bugger pattern has a gold body, tan marabou tail with a couple strands of fl. orange krystal flash, and a gold bead head. I counter-wrap the palmered hackle with gold wire for durability. It might imitate a sculpin or a sand shrimp, or maybe just has an enticing action. It works especially well in the winter.

These are both old school patterns tied with soft natural materials, and just enough flash to attract the fish.

Tom