Your favorite rod.

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Danielocean, Jul 9, 2013.

1. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Media:
    It's worth remembering that the term 'heavy' is highly relative when talking about fly rods. Not too long ago before the introduction of today's tubular plastic 'soda straw' rods, pretty much everybody fished bamboo rods which are made from solid wood.

For example, a 'lightweight' Granger Special 9' 3-piece for 5wt weighed 5.1 oz. And that's for the blank alone, not counting the guides, grip or reel seat.

Yet somehow back then people not only managed to fish them all day long, they caught more and bigger fish than we do today. It's all a matter of perspective.

K

Brookie_Hunter likes this.
  2. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Media:
    Nice set-up Jon!

3. porterHause

porterHause Just call me Jon

Media:
    It's hard to compare the two. The Winston is like buttah (not quite room temperature butter). For a "fast" action rod it still loads well down into the butt, and rewards you with that "oh yeah" feeling. The One is much stiffer at the tip.

4. porterHause

porterHause Just call me Jon

Media:
    Thanks Brian! To save the tax return dollars, or spend them...that was the question. The answer is obvious lol.

5. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

I have three Fenwicks. Each of a different vintage & each of different materials, and they are all "6 wts." Each one is a 2 pc, but a completely different animal from the others. 8' glass ferralite (circa 1965, my first flyrod), a 9' boron that I picked up "used," and a 9'9" graphite "Iron Feather" that I also bought "used."
    I like these rods, and probably won't sell 'em.
    The Iron Feather would be much improved if I replaced the handle with a new one that has fighting butt.

However,the rod I use the most is my 9' TFO 4 wt, 4-pc Jim Teeny model. Strong lower half and fairly fast action...is a decent nymphing and streamer rod. It feels more like a 5 wt, and casts most 4 wt and 5 wt lines with ease. It feels well-matched to battle with a 15" or 16" cutthroat, or a 20" Satsop Springs stocker 'bow. A 10" or 12" trout can still put a good bend in it, but I think I could handle a summer steelhead with this rod no problem.
    If I had to use only one of my current rods for all-round trout fishing and river fishing, this would be it. It has typical TFO lousy cork for the handle, so I don't have to worry about it.
    I don't have a reel that I really like that is matched with this rod. I've been using 3 different reels on it, and the reel I use on it most often has 3 spools, each loaded with a 5 wt line (has decent disk drag, but no clicker...silent running...I'd take this reel to BC for lake fishing, to help avoid Loons). The other reels have 4 wt lines. I even fished it with my Medalist 1594 loaded with a 6 wt Cortland 333+ full sink, and was able to cast that line a good 40' +, and I am the worst of the worst casters on this forum.:D

6. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Media:
    I'm kind of stuck on older rods. A few I fish all the time and they are likely the first to come out of the tubes.
    A few of my favorites.
    Sage 490-4 RPL
    Loomis 1086-4 GLX
    Loomis 1146-2 IM6
    Redington 9664S CPS
    Sage 697-4 XP
    As you can see, I have a thing for 6 wts.....so I broke my 6 wt addiction and bought a old school 796 RPL+ yesterday.
    SF

7. underachiever

underachiever !

Media:
    I don't have much overlap in my rods so what I end up using comes down to the kind of fishing I'm doing instead of choosing a favorite.

8. Yak

Yak Member

Sage 389LL was my first quality rod and it's the one that hooked me.

9. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

Media:
    7126 tcx

10. Brian Thomas

Brian Thomas Active Member

I`m not 100% sure it`s my favorite , but it`s the most versatile , and unique rod I own , as it`s two rods in one .
    What "it" is , is a Gary Anderson rod that is a 12 foot 3 weight spey rod , and with an extra butt section , becomes a 9 foot 4 weight single hander .
    I really like it in either configuration , but I prefer setting it up as a double-hander .

11. Thomas Williams

Thomas Williams Habitual Line Stepper

That's a tough one, I've got a few I really enjoy. But I think my favorite rod is my 5wt Beulah Platinum trout spey. It's responsive, powerful and a 12in trout will put a bend in it and fight real nice. It really is a true trout spey. I have a lot of fun bombing sculpins on it. I've put it to the test as well with a few bows and browns over 5lbs from the Truckee river.

12. Nol

Nol Needs to fish more..

Media:
    Sage XP 9' 5 wt

Ryan Bradfield likes this.
  13. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

If you were to sniff around the Sexyloops web site you'd find a lot of casting geeks who love that rod. Many of which can throw the backing knot and more. It's a good site if you like the science of casting.

14. Kaiserman

Kaiserman Phil 4:11-13

Temporarily on earth, longing for home...
    Ditto, but then I have to throw in my BIIX rods as well. Then there's my 7' 4wt 'Sport Fisher', that I got on a closeout sale for $22.50 - love that rod.

15. DimeBrite

DimeBrite MA-9 Beach Stalker

Media:
    My Costco Sage One 9'6" 8wt of course.

16. golfman44

golfman44 Active Member

Media:
    There is a brand new one on ebay right now. Probably doesn't happen much anymore. Not mine but I was looking at the txl-f the seller was selling

17. Matthew LeBret

Matthew LeBret Active Member

Media:
    For trout as of late I like to use my blue halo fiberglass, great slow action. I was lucky enough to get a Sage gen III blank so when that is done and steelhead starts I am sure I will put that as my favorite for that was the rod that started my 2 handed casting......Full circle kind of thing.

18. scottmel

scottmel Member

I have that very exact rod except I picked it up from Cabelas! I have yet to fish with it though... Which reel did you pair it up with?????

19. troutdopemagic

troutdopemagic Active Member

I suppose my favorite rod is my 10ft. 7 weight Sage ONE paired with a blue Tibor Signature 7/8 I use for streamer fishing. Its a sweet setup and we've had some very memorable times together. I have another ONE a 9ft. 4 weight paired with a Ross F1 I use for almost all my trout fishing that is a close second.

I have a couple of those Cabelas Glass Rods I really, really like. the 5'9" 3 weight as others have mentioned are a great small stream stick.

20. gldntrt40

gldntrt40 Member

Media:
    probably Orvis 7 piece 3 wt TLS rod, it is a fun rod-wish they still made them-way nicer than the newer frequent flier
    also have an older Fenwick 7 1/3 3 weight..built it myself and can't recall the blank-1985-ish