Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

You're Dying Next Year - What Rod, What Reel?

3K views 41 replies 36 participants last post by  PhilR 
#1 ·
[Serious]

Life is short. You're going to die next year. You're taken care of. You're going to fish until you die.

What rod?

What reel?

You're going to master some chrome. What rod and reel will you leave as your legacy to your son?

#33 ·
In the face of our own mortality; having lead a life full of wonder the home water of youth is what Hemingway wrote about and ultimately the goal of all Trout. But from a vast ocean of experience boiled down to one year. Were a novel of the human condition is summed up in one grab, one pull, one fight. I say fight like a Steely "With every thing you got and then some"; Jump, Roll, Run, Shake, Spool'em and Clean'em if that is what it takes.
They earn it...practice catch and release.

Feel every inch on Scandi/Skagit hell if conditions are right a mid belly.

rod: Sage "one" 7wt (an all flies all year rod)
Reel: something you don't mind dropping on the river rocks to tail a fish, a Hardy seems fitting.

as many rivers as you can at the right times, but see the Skeena, and Deshutes.

#40 ·
I know how you feel Sean. I had a backpack full of reels taken out of my garage a few years ago.

There were several Abel's inside. The one that I care about losing the most was my original 3N that I caught my first steelhead with on a fly rod.

#41 ·
I'd fish with the gear that I have used for years - my Scott 10'6wt (inherited from Mike "Dr. Steelhead" Bennet) with Bauer m3 and Rio nymphing line. A few spools of fluorocarbon, some sinkers, and a loaded flybox would do me just fine. That gear would be left for my six month old son who would no doubt find it as useful as I have.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.