Z-Axis to be Discontinued?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by BDD, Jun 18, 2011.

1. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:
    I heard this was happening this summer? Anybody else hear it? Anyone care? It seems rod makers are upgrading their lineup sooner and sooner nowadays.

2. Ryan Nathe

Ryan Nathe Member

Media:
    I think it is only the single handers as of right now. If you are interested in Z-axis single-handers start looking at shops now! The Spey rods and switch rods are not being discontinued this year so they wont be on sale.

3. jumbo215

jumbo215 Jasper hickman

Media:
    yea I also caught wind that the Z-axis are going away, im sure youll start finding discounted prices soon enough

4. giv'n fatlips

giv'n fatlips Member

Bring on the " ONE "

5. Porter

Porter Active Member

The 'One' will only last five years at best...or until they can defend they have something 20% lighter and 20% stronger...or some numbers of that effect.

6. ak_powder_monkey

ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Media:
    Z-axis single handers are on sale nowadays...

7. nb_ken

nb_ken Member

How long does the average flagship model rod stay in production?

The Z-Axis came out in 2006. When did the XP start being produced? Late 90s I'd imagine. So Sage probably made that for more than 5 years. More than 10? Anybody know?

How long did Winston make the BIIx before they replaced it with the BIIIx? I'm thinking 5-7 years.

Seems like Loomis has been making some version of the GLX for 15-20 years. How long have they been making the Streamdance? Probably closer to 10 than 5.

The Scott S3 was around for a while. How long ago did they come out with the S4? I remember the original S series. The S2 seems to have come and gone without my noticing it.

I've been kinda looking for a backup 6wt. Trying to find an old Echo 2. I've got one in a 7wt that I use as a Rocky Ford streamer rod. Remember those? Came with 2 tips -- one for accuracy and one for distance. You still see used ones around. Haven't made them for a while now. Came out in 2006. Ancient history.