ZAxis vs. VXP?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Griswald, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Griswald

Griswald a.k.a. Griswald

Hello,
    I have casted and loved the Z Axis, and wondering if any one has a VXP? Any one have an opinion one way or the other? I would guess the Z Axis is a bit faster.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Griswald

2. Dan Nelson

Dan Nelson Hiker, Fisher, Writer, Bum

You would guess correctly. The Z-axis is considerably faster. (at least in 5 wt -- which is the only version i've used of each).

3. skiman5982

skiman5982 Member

The Z is considerably faster however i do love my six weight 9' 6" VXP. Easy to cast and plenty powerful not to mention lower priced. The VXP is a very good rod

4. Dan Nelson

Dan Nelson Hiker, Fisher, Writer, Bum

SKiMan, I agree. The VXP is a great rod -- faster isn't alway better. I love the Zs in my quiver, but the VXPs are damn nice, too. Then again, I also love my old, slow St. Croix 2 wt.

5. jessejames

jessejames Flyslinger

The VXP is unique in the Sage line-up. It has progressively faster action as the line sizes increase.
    This makes real sense to me. If I am casting a 3 wt it seems it should naturally be a slower action rod for smaller tippits and fish. But that slow action is ususally not a positive thing in a 8 weight when you are casting junk to metalheads.
    Having said that unless you are looking at a 8 or 9 weight I think that you will notice a significant difference between the Z and the VXP comparing equal weights.
    Find a pro shop and cast them both with the appropriate lines then you will know which one is right for you.
    jesse

6. BT

BT New Member

7. Itchy Dog

Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

Curious if anyone has cast the VXP 7133?

8. Fella

Fella New Member

Correct. What weight are you looking to get. I prefer the VXP over the z axis. Not saying the Z Axis isn't an awesome rod. I was in a casting competition and had to use the VXP and it was a great rod to throw. It just depends what your looking for. If your looking for fast rods obviously the TCX will beat both of them. For fast rods i still love my S4S 's.

9. shawn k

shawn k Member

I have it and I love that rod. Its a great stick. I casted the zaxis 7136 and the vxp side by side and I liked the vxp better.

10. Jeff Sawyer

Jeff Sawyer Active Member

I have Z Axis 7136 and I have cast the the VXP 7133 side by side...I like my Z-Axis better. But honestly they're both great rods so I don't think you could go wrong with either and looks like it's more personal preference...so you should really try to cast both.

11. UptheCreek

UptheCreek Member

Don't want to open up a 15 post thread but just bought the z-axis at Costco for a great deal!