Zen-like fishing experience.

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by John Hicks, Oct 17, 2006.

1. John Hicks Owner and operator of Sea Run Pursuits

Olympia
    Ratings: +182 / 1
  2. Lucky Ducky New Member

Seattle Wa
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Yea were you all chanting OM together?
  3. Christian Brewer Super Slacker

Slacking in Mill Creek
    Ratings: +17 / 0
    Ain't that the truth!!!

Hey wait a minute...isn't that a photo of the Elwha on the weekend after the NW fishing article was released? :eek:

Christian
  4. davew Member

Ratings: +1 / 0
    That looks like the lower fly fishing only section of the Salmon River in Pulaski, NY. Am I right?

As bad as that looks, on a good day almost everyone in the picture will catch multiple kings, albeit very dark and full of PCB's.
  5. John Hicks Owner and operator of Sea Run Pursuits

Olympia
    Ratings: +182 / 1
    Dave you are right, and yes the multiple kings thing is right as well as a steelhead and a 5-12lb brown as well. The fishing sucks but the catching is incredible
  6. Lucky Ducky New Member

Seattle Wa
    They must be catching fish or no one would put up with it!
  7. mike doughty Honorary Member

the uinta's
    Ratings: +5 / 0
    i couldn't put up with it no matter how good the fishing was. i'll take more solitude and less fish anyday.
  8. East Fork Active Member

Vancouver, WA
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    Thanks :) I good a good laugh and a new picture for my computer wallpaper.
  9. Brent Comer Member

Duvall, Washington, USA.
    Looks like Tokul Creek in late December.
  10. Ian Broadie Flyfishing is so "Metal"

Kirkland, Washington
    Ratings: +57 / 0
    Nothin' like a little solitude in the great outdoors...............
  11. Lucky Ducky New Member

Seattle Wa
    I'm with you. Scew the fish, I'll go find a more isolated spot and see ya later!
  12. David Brenna Member

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    Before Mt. St. Helen errupted, and friend and I went to the Green river, tributary to the Toutle, hoping to find some steelies. What we found instead came to be known as "The Great Green River Salmon Rat-F**k". About a hundred "fly" anglers, with yarn dressed treble hooks, were crowded along a half mile stretch below the barrier dam, making delicate presentations (snicker) to the thousands of chinooks jammed in the river. We watched in half amusement, half disgust for about 30 minutes, then left for more promising, and less crowded, waters. Next week we read in the Longview paper that 20 "fly" fisherman on the Green had been arrested by fish & wildlife agents!! Your photo brought back the memory! David
  13. Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,263 / 1
    Looks like the two clowns I encountered on the Yakima this past Sunday would like fishing there. Miles of river to fish, no other folks within site of where I'm fishing and they decide they need to fish the same run as I'm fishing? :confused:
    I don't get it, even if it was the only river around to fish. If fishing came down to deciding between fishing in that cluster f**k or to quit fishing, I know what I'd choose.
  14. seanengman Trout have no politics

davenport, wa
    I thank God that I live in eastern Washington where the catching sucks, but the fishing is okay. I should post some pictures of Hawk Creek. Too bad I don't have a digital camera.
  15. Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Olympic Peninsula
    Ratings: +710 / 0
    And to think that people pay fifteen dollars a day for access to some of that river...I did. I even bought season passes. The runs are rediculously huge. I cought more kings on a fly there in two weeks than I did in an entire season in Alaska. I fell in the water there once and opened my eyes underwater for a few seconds of terror as I found I was surrounded by hundreds of huge hook jawed chrome Kings. They can actually crash into your legs at times. Homeric.
  16. Mulligan Stephen Mull

Seattle
    Is there a lot of snagging or are the fish actually taking flies/lures?
  17. Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Olympic Peninsula
    Ratings: +710 / 0
    Yes, snagging, lining, snatching, flossing- the whole gambit. Every year they write citations, make arrests, it is an ongoing problem.
  18. flyfis4fun New Member

Spangle, WA
    Contrast that picture to this one from a trip I took this fall. Hm...now which one would I prefer. :p
  19. davew Member

Ratings: +1 / 0
    I fished it a couple of seasons while living nearby. The number of salmon and steelhead in that river is hard to believe. And yes, they do bite, although the snaggers who think otherwise are all over the place. When the salmon are done and the snow flies, the crowds clear out and it's an amazing place for steelhead.

On a side note, straying hatchery steelhead on that river have created a self sustaining "wild" run of fish. If I remember right, about 40% of the steelhead in the river came from the gravel. That makes an interesting counterpoint to the argument here that hatchery fish can't reproduce in the wild.

Here's a description:

http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/fishing/news/story?page=f_map_06_NY_SalmonRiver

"It's a spectacular fishery, an absolutely spectacular fishery," said Steve La Pan, NY DEC Lake Ontario unit leader. He said last year's catch included 89,448 kings caught and 26,000 kept.

That's nearly three times as many fall kings as were caught at the mouth of Oregon and Washington state's Columbia River, one of the best (and most hyped) runs on the West Coast
  20. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +544 / 0
    the zen of combat fishing...
    Those statistics are amazing...who'da thunk it.
    Man, I'd love to see an underwater movie of Bob freakin out in a pack of kings....where's Cousteau when you need him?:rofl: