ZYZ Reels

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by ryanp274, Apr 23, 2013.

1. ryanp274 New Member

Woodinville
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Does anyone on here know anything about ZYZ Reels? I have been seeing them on Ebay and really like the classic look they have and the price is fair. If anybody has info or knows a local shop around the Seattle area that has them.

Thank you
  2. Porter Active Member

Kenmore, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +535 / 0
    Try this... (i would be a little leary of no name, no location, really not much info on the website as to who/where...no distributors??? or I missed it.)

http://www.zyzreel.com/indexa1.html
  3. bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

m-ville
    Ratings: +739 / 0
    they are made in china and only sold on E-bay. I own a couple of them and personaly think they are better Quality than the bill ballan reels of the same style. The down side of this style reel is they are heavy no matter who makes them. my favorite maker of this stlye reel is saracione at a lot more money.
  4. _WW_ Fishes with Wolves

Skagit River
    Ratings: +675 / 0
    Nice little reels and the price on them keeps climbing. I think I paid seventy some dollars for mine but I think they go for 2 or 3 times that now, and with a lot more cosmetic styling available too. I was a little leary about sending off for one but ebay/paypal buyer protection gave me some comfort. The transaction was all good and it took about as long as you would expect for something to get here from China.

I've not taken either a Ballan reel or a ZYZ reel apart to check the quality of the insides, but if you put them up near your head and shake them, the Ballan reel has a pretty good rattle coming from the handle, the ZYZ rattle is barely discernible. I haven't used either one on the stream yet but if I were to do so I would try to increase the clicker resistance on both of them.
  5. rockthief Fly fishing = food for my soul

Brownsville Oregon
    Ratings: +29 / 0
    good reel for the price. I sold mine only because I had my eye on a Peerless.
  6. ryanp274 New Member

Woodinville
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Thank you everyone for the info. I think I might give one a try. I just wish they had them in the local fly shops to check them out in person before buying.