2012 Chum thread

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Jason Rolfe, Oct 16, 2012.

1. Gil Levy

Gil Levy New Member

thanks for your help

2. Peter Pancho

Peter Pancho Active Member

Home Page:
    Yes oh yes, "minter is one of the most secluded chum spots in washington, just serenity and tranquility, Undemanding contact in your happy solitude"

..even if there is someone there with a motorcycle helmet on, something has to protect you from the hardware being thrown from the bridge above! Hahaha

3. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

He had full leathers on as well. Likely his idea of a lead shrapnel protection fishing outfit. Minter is the bomb!

4. DennisE

DennisE Topwater and tying.

The same people that enjoy Minter during the Chum craziness probably plan on going to Disneyland in late June or July. Same crowds and lines, too!

5. He did ask where besides Chico and Hoodsport... I was being helpful. Don't forget to bring your Barbie rod when 20 of your neighbors break it out for Chum-A-Thon.

6. Puget Sound Pimp

Puget Sound Pimp Banned or Parked

Went to Hood Sport today to fight some Chum. The crowd wasn't to bad but the fishing was horrible, only saw 3 fish landed. At high tide I caught a 8 pound, Coho hen. She made the lack of Chum manageable because I brought home some unplanned dinner. Checked out Minter on the way home and didn't see anything, only a matter of time.

7. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

I've seen that on the Cowlitz too.

8. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Ed,
    Isn't Minter Creek a Cowlitz tributary? That might explain the helmet wearing thing. ;)

9. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

PSP, nice job on the coho. That would be a welcome surprise when chum fishing! I was out doing other stuff over there yesterday and stopped by Hoodsport. Didn't see much activity. Checked another spot and there wasn't a lot of activity there either.

10. porterHause

porterHause Just call me Jon

You guys are making me wish I still worked over in Bremerton. Not much chumming I can do before/after work now that it's getting dark.

11. Gil Levy

Gil Levy New Member

I'm sure I wasn't looking for a "hand out" as someone implied. And yes I can look at a map like anyone else and figure out potential spots to fish. I have fished other places besides Hoodsport and Chico and sometimes I have found fish there and sometimes not. My problem is the rude and unfriendly way in which he answered my question. If someone asked me the same question I might of said something like I prefer not to answer that in a public forum but feel free to contact me off list.

12. Jason Rolfe

Jason Rolfe Wanderer

Have to agree with Jon. From the sounds of it, doesn't seem like there's much in the way of chum to be found in Seattle, which is a bummer. I've been missing the early mornings at the beach, casting in the dark. Looks like, for now, it's a weekend game--although I haven't even had the chance to get out on the weekend lately.

J

13. Jason Rolfe

Jason Rolfe Wanderer

Hey Gil,

I don't think it really had anything to do with you. I think people just get a little wary when someone's first post is asking for info like that. A lot of those happen on the forum, and with nothing else to go on (since folks haven't had the chance to see other posts from you or engage in conversation about the fishery), people--understandably, I think--get a little salty (pun intended).

I think it's safe to say that folks know you weren't looking for a hand-out. If you can, spend some more time on the saltwater forum, sharing some fishing stories, and all that. As I've said elsewhere, the group that seems to hang out regularly in the saltwater forum are a bunch of great guys--not all political and crazy like in the main forum sometimes, and not all agro like in the steelhead forum. It's a relatively small and pretty fanatic group as well. Hopefully you'll find it useful and interesting enough to hang around and add to the mix.

Cheers, and good luck with the chum this season. I've yet to get out, but just got a big bunch of flies from a member that I can't wait to try out.

Jason

Tacoma Red likes this.
  14. troutaholic

troutaholic Member

Home Page:
    Yeah I agree on the floater, unless it's really windy then a slow intermediate will help you keep a tight line. The take is often really soft. I've seen them just pick it up in their mouth like you would your fingers. No more weight than a bead chain or even no weight. I prefer purple, black or cerise in small flies. If that doesn't work then I sometimes go the other way with a large bunny strip fly. Also when you can, get as far into where the fresh fish are coming in. They quickly get spooked by other fishermen and activity and become lock jawed.

15. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide.

Cranberry Country...a glorified coastal swamp!
    I've had decent luck on black and purple combo, size 6, in the lower coastal rivers.

I find that when beach fishing, other anglers moving in on your action often will spook all your fish away. One of these days I might just snap when that happens. As it is now, the closer they get, the wilder my casting becomes.

If I pull up at a certain smaller creek mouth I like to fish, and there's not really enough room for me to access the action without crowding the other 4 or 5 anglers already there, and spooking the fish, then I move on or wait, and tell myself to get there earlier next time. If there's only 2 or 3 guys there ahead of me, then maybe I'll quietly try to find me a spot.
    I subscribed to this ethic after having "new" guys approaching the lineup get too close and spook all the fish in front of me. I'm not going to be "that guy" who spooks the fish for the other anglers.