2012 Chum thread

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Jason Rolfe, Oct 16, 2012.

1. Jason Rolfe

Jason Rolfe Wanderer

Oh yeah.

I've got plans for two different spots this weekend--one river and one salt. Who know what I'll find, but I'm not too worried about it. Both are places that I've never really been to before, so both days this weekend will be partially exploratory.

Looking forward to trying some new flies and hopefully finding some dawgs!

Why is there still two more days of work left til then?

J

2. Jason Rolfe

Jason Rolfe Wanderer

No cure man. No cure. I know for certain that I am absolutely hooked on silver fishing from the beach. That is something I will do every fall for the rest of my life.

I just can't wait to land my first steelhead, then I'm sure it'll really be over.

And from what I hear about how chums fight...forget about it.

I'm an anadromous junky from here on out. If only there were a vein big enough to shoot fish into.

Jason

stilly stalker likes this.
  3. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Im pretty bummed about the upcoming time change. Gonna put a halt to my weekday after work fishing adventures. I love me some winter, but this year I'm sad to see it come.

Batman, Jason, your first doggies will come soon Im sure!! And Bag, I could catch.a million silvers between now and the rest of my life but under no circumstances will I EVER forget my first.

Jason Rolfe likes this.
  4. Bagman

Bagman Active Member

I fished my butt off in the rain today. No problem until the wind started to blow my fly back at me. I had a Chum fin not 3 feet from me. Twich twich slow long pull. Repeat. I will hook and land a Chum. Tomorrow does not look for crap. Maybe Fri?

5. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Was checking out a small urban creek today. Rollers and jumpers. Place at the mouth is for rent...considering that option. A more well trodden creek is within sight. A handful of rainy day anglers there. Did not see any rods bent, no hootin' and hollerin' and no fish on splashy ness.

6. Jason Rolfe

Jason Rolfe Wanderer

Fish on splashy ness is great, isn't it?

Although an alternate reading of that might mean you've hooked into the Loch Ness monster, which might be good or bad depending on how you look at it. Probably a bit like hooking an Orca--you'll just have to point your rod and break it off either way.

J

7. Nick Clayton

I've found that with the fresher, more aggressive fish that the twitch, twitch, long slow strip routine can be very effective, but I've found that longer, ultra slow strips have been the ticket for me. Especially when casting to a school. They are awfully easy to spook and I see a lot of guys out there stripping like they are fishing for silvers. I'm sure there are times they want a fast retrieve but in my very limited experience I think a lot of guys overdo it. Try going what you would consider slow....then cut it in half. Long, slow, steady strips just enough to keep a tight line and give it just a bit of motion....this is what has been working for me.

mtskibum16 and Ed Call like this.
  8. Jason Rolfe

Jason Rolfe Wanderer

That is the kind of beach fishing that drives me crazy!

I was just telling Porterhaus recently how I have such a hard time with that. I much prefer fishing a clouser or popper and stripping the hell out of it--or at least making it move.

I'm gonna have to really work on my patience with the dogs I think. Not that I can't be a patient person. I guess that I'm so used to river fishing that it's hard for me to imagine the fly moving so slowly and catching fish!

Obviously though--and thanks to everyone's advice--I need to work on slowing my roll.

J

9. Bagman

Bagman Active Member

Thanks Nick I will give it a try. Just hope cobwebs don't grow on me.

10. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

Yep Nick hit it on the head. Throw in a couple pauses and you're golden. Also, the tri-colored chum turd I posted previously has been a huge success for Josh Smestad and I. The other day we were getting a hit or hooking up about every other cast with the turd. The dudes next to us were hammering the same school with not so much as a bump. The fly can certainly make a difference! I've been tying them in different weights: unweighted with no eyes, small bead chain eyes, and slightly bigger bead chain eyes. The unweighted is nice when the schools are in ~1ft of water.

11. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

And Bag, a few more things to keep in mind:
    • If the fish aren't schooled up in big groups, it almost isn't worth the effort.
    • If the tide isn't right, the schools will push in to the deeper water and make it tough to find them. Figure out when the tide is just right so that the schools are shallow. You'll know you have the right tide if you see a large group of fish finning in the shallows, the water erupt as a school spooks, etc....jumpers don't mean you're going to have good schools, but they can be a starting point at finding some
    • Fish as much as you can at your beach of choice to learn when the tide is right, where the fish hole up, etc.
    • Swap flies if you're fishing over a big school with no results
    • Sometimes they just won't bite
    • Rain the day of or days prior seem to make the fish more active
    • Low light and clouds can really help. Bright sun may turn the bite off.
    Good luck man!

Bagman likes this.
  12. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Matt,
    Glad to hear the tri-colored turd has been working well for you and Josh.
    Brian

13. Bagman

Bagman Active Member

That's a big help. Thanks Mtskibum16. You have to admit the tricolor turds sure look shall I say different. As today is going to be a day of rest I will tye up a few unweighted. I've been trying them with a tail about an inch long. Is that about right? I've been fishing a spot where I have seen very few fish jumping. Does this mean there are not many fish around? When I was at Chico a few days back they were spending more time in the air then in the water.

14. Nick Clayton

Great, great stuff Matt puts up here. ESPECIALLY the part about the fish being schooled up. If you're just seeing random jumpers, while maybe not totally wasting your time, it's definitely long odds of a hookup. I think I can count 2 fish I've caught this season that were not hooked amongst a school. Both those fish were of the fresh, more aggressive variety.

Wander around and look for the schools. When you find them, try to keep the fly just ahead of them, or just on the edge of the pack... If you can anticipate where they will be, casts well ahead, let the fly sink while they come closer, then slowly start your retreive when they are near you'll hook up often.

Turds have worked great for me the past few days. If there is lots of pressure, especially from other fly guys, I like pinks/purples over chartreuse. Seems that showing them something a little different than the norm can be the ticket.

Also, I don't know about everyone else, but I've been fishing pretty long leaders. Using 12-15 lb Maxima tippet and have been fishing leaders right around 11-12 feet. I've noticed the longer leader leading to more hook ups, but that could just be in my head.

Bagman likes this.
  15. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

I don't have enough experience to really answer that, but so far at the beach I fish there are usually jumpers about when the bite is on. The other day after it was super hot fishing for a good hour, the clouds disipated, the bite turned off, and there were fewer jumpers. I don't think the jumpers are the biters, but for some reason when the bite is off there are fewer jumpers around. Still some but less. In this case the bright sun and tide also pushed the fish in to deeper water and the schools broke up in to smaller cruising groups. In that situation, it's probaly possible to still catch fish, but they will be few and far between. In contrast, the previous "hot" hour Josh and I landed 4-6 each, just as many LDRs (long distance release), and tons of bumps/missed takes. I'd rather fish that hour than stand out there all day casting and maybe hook in to one fish. Fish smarter not harder ;)

Edit: The tails on my turds (boy that sounds funny) have been 1/2-1" usually. I've only used the color combo shown. The unweighted ones really just look like an egg sucking leach bugger with no hackle. The bonus is that they are super fast and easy to tie!