4wt or 5wt help me spend money.

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by DanielOcean, Jul 1, 2013.

1. gabe0430

gabe0430 Banned or Parked

The Orvis Clearwater 4wt 8-6 is a great mid-action rod for the price at great for the Sno's. With the Orvis Battenkill reel, its a great combo for the price and what I use. Another good option in that price range is the Cabelas LSI with the RLS reel combo. Both are very nice rods for the price.

2. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Buy whatever you want, because you'll be buying more rods in the future. Trust me on this......
    That being said, I'd go with a 5 wt if you don't aready have one. Perhaps a bit overkill for the waters you mentioned, but a 5wt is a super versatile rod wt and can be used for a number of fishing situations as you broaden your angling opportunities in the future.

Eric Denny likes this.
  3. Steve Unwin

Steve Unwin Active Member

Looks like pretty good deals on the 3,4,and 5wt CT at Cabela's right now.

Or check out their CGT fiberglass rod, might be fairly versatile in a 4wt from what the reviews say. It is not as well liked as the older CGR model but might be worth a look.

4. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

I couldn't agree more.

Being almost exclusively a trout guy with a preference for small to medium moving water and mountain lakes, my favorite graphite for years has been a 5-piece Sage 4wt SP. I liked it so much I bought the exact same rod in both a 5wt and a 3wt.

I shoulda saved my money though because while the 4wt is nearly the ideal graphite rod for the kind of fishing I prefer, the 5wt is too stout and lacks finesse for smaller fish and the 3wt is too noodly and doesn't have the grunt to handle either wind or larger fish.

K

5. Richard Olmstead

Richard Olmstead BigDog

I'm with the 4-wt folks on this. That seems to be all I use anymore, unless I'm specifically fishing for bruisers or casting heavy flies. I'll still use my 3-wt for dry fly fishing when there isn't much wind, and a 6 wt in the salt, but I fish a 4 more than anything else.

D

Gary Knowels likes this.
  6. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

I use two 3wt's and a 4wt on small skinny water. The reason for the three rods is that because of my shakes it takes me a while to tie up flies on my tippets. I use the 4wt for nymphing and the 3wts for dries. I keep all three rods rigger and ready to go.

7. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

Back in the day, a 6 weight was the universal size. Then the 5 weight became the new 6 weight. Nowadays, it seems the 4 weight is now the new 5 weight.

You're going to end up buying both weights so take your pick as to which one you want to start with ... not many fly anglers own a single rod...:)

Skysoldier and Kent Lufkin like this.
  8. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

For the same reason not many golfers have a single club!

K

Gary Knowels likes this.
  9. Matthew LeBret

Matthew LeBret Active Member

I fish a 4wt and 6wt for trout.

10. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

405074535.jpg

11. DanielOcean

DanielOcean Steelhead Virgin

Okay I am doing the 4wt but I have the option of doing from 8, 8.5, and 9ft. I am thinking 9ft. Am I wrong.

12. Steve Call

Steve Call Active Member

Buy both a 5wt and a 4wt. Pretty soon you'll need a 3wt and if you get into throwing streamers, well a 6wt would be nice. Of course, most of the fish on the Snoqualmie Forks are small, so a 2wt would be a lot of fun especially in September when the flows are low. I don't own a 1wt, but met a guy on the South Fork last year with one. I took a few casts and I think it would be fun on some real skinny water. Now, if you should ever get up to Alaska you'll probably want to think about a 7 or 8wt should you tie into a salmon, or even a larger rod if there are Kings around...........$$$$$$$$$. (Oh, and you should have several lengths of each weight rod.)

Have fun!

Stew McLeod likes this.
  13. DanielOcean

Okay i will edit my original question with which rod should i get first. The next time i will be shopping for another rid will be later this year

14. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

10 foot 4wt is the best all around IMO it will even handle streamers well. But whatever rod you get you'll probably just return it and get a different one a few times right?:rolleyes:

15. DanielOcean

Ahh I see I have a reputation. Well, I will try to buy once cry once this time.