6wt or 7wt for a switch...

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Josh, Jan 24, 2013.

1. sashjo

sashjo Member

I used to fish the 7110 ZA, loved it but felt outgunned many times. The rod just attracted big fish! So far the 7116 ONE has handled big fish with no problems at all. This is the new everyday switch for me. However, I'll still pull out the 8 wt switch in August for the kings.

2. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Buy the Meiser Highlander in the classifieds. 6/7 11'er. Done.

3. Josh

Josh dead in the water

Yeah I saw that. Nice I'm sure. A little rich for my blood since this is kind of an experiment.

4. Josh

Josh dead in the water

Trevor makes a good point (and knows what rods I own).

So 6wt it is.

Now to find one.

5. Nooksack Mac

Nooksack Mac Active Member

Josh, wait and try my Angler's Roost 12' 5/6 before you decide, or lay out $$$. It's worth much more than its retail price, and seems to be liked by whoever tries one.

6. Josh

Josh dead in the water

Well, I'm not likely to turn down an offer to try out a rod.

7. hookedonthefly

hookedonthefly Active Member

I didn't know how to describe how I felt about the 7 wt. Now I know. Thanks.

8. hydrological

hydrological beads are NOT flies and snagging is just ghetto

i think i get it now. a 7wt switch is awkward for single handed casting, right ?

9. hookedonthefly

hookedonthefly Active Member

I have a particular 7 wt that I have not found a line that makes casting intuitive which is the way I think two-handed rods should feel. That 7 switch is awkward when spey casting. We tried several lines on a 7wt Z-Axis switch. It was fine but but still felt kind of weird. I am sure there are folks out there who love their 7 wts but Derek's description matched my feelings about the few I've cast.

10. hydrological

hydrological beads are NOT flies and snagging is just ghetto

so the zaxis 7wt is awkward for spey asting. what lines were you throwing on it? scandi, skagit, or both? i've only thrown the 8wt zwitch. i really liked it with a sandi at 28' . didnt try it with a skagit. some rods just have a narrower grain window. and what a differene there can be between 7 wts. burkie 7117 about 450 for scandi, winston 7110 about 325. so, really, one should be a 5 and the other an 8. where do they come up with those numbers anyway? and how ould anyone decide on a rod weight based on an arbitrary number? i dont, but i would use my 6119 tcx for small steelhead, if i had to, but no way on that winston 7.
    but then i prefer to land fish quikly.

11. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

The real major difference (all things considered sort of thing) between a 6 and a 7 is what you want/need in the way of sinking tips. With a 6 your pretty much restricted to sinking poly leaders or short runs of T 8 or 11. With the extra line grain weights with a 7 larger/heavier heads, larger flies, etc.

12. Buzzby

Buzzby New Member

I'm considering my first 6wt switch purchase and wondered if anyone has experience enough to recommend either a Beulah, TFO, Echo, or CTS? Good vs bad points, etc.

13. SpeySpaz

SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

I have a 7110 Z-Axis for smaller flows, smaller steel; a 4 wt Echo SR that is an absolute joy to cast for trout; and I traded my Beulah 4/5 to a guy in Canoodia for a Guideline LeCie 7/8 switch, which in America would be considered a 6. It is an absolute hoot for skating dries, it's like a little Skandi fishbroom. I think a hot summer steelhead would have her way with you on a 6 wt switch.

hydrological likes this.
  14. Buzzby

Buzzby New Member

SpeySpaz,
    This would be for trout and the local landlocks. What didn't you like about the Beulah?