A question about our British Cousins

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Olive bugger, Aug 21, 2014.

1. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

OK, so what kind of bugs do they have? I ain't gonna be going over anytime soon, but just suppose! Assuming I got my 5 wt with me Hardy reel, and Airflo line/leader. I got my tweed hat, perhaps that is over the top a bit, but hey, this is fantasy land. Am I going to need a jacket with leather patches at the elbow? What about bait? Can a body purchase bait near the beat? I have never been there so I am really uninformed.

And another thing, do they have ROUNDABOUTS on the roadways?

2. Tim Lockhart

Tim Lockhart Active Member

They have proper roundabouts, clockwise multilane, some with stoplights. Some even on the major highways.

As far as bait, they have their versions, with their names, of many of the same bugs. But I did learn the hard way what biting midges are.

3. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

So, I am going to assume that a biting midge is not necessarily a guarantee of catching a fish? Perhaps some Deets would be in order?

4. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

From conversing with folks who live there or from here and fished in GB, they use the same basic patterns for rivers as do we.

However, the majority of the public fishing is done at lakes and they do use an interesting pattern we normally use. It is called a "Booby". It is a midge emerger pattern that includes two foam balls at the head to help hold it in the film

5. wadin' boot

wadin' boot Donny, you're out of your element...

Home Page:
    CSI Avon-on-Trent:

Archibald Tornbee-Snoad enjoyed barbel and tench fishing. The rituals of baiting his hook with fresh maggots, whistling Cliff Richard tunes and listening to the burble of test cricket on his transistor remained the most peaceful moments of his sad, sunburnt sandal-and-sock wearing existence. Not once as he cast his maggot-wrapped hook towards a the murky brown pond behind the tower of dismal counsel flats did he think of his wife, Venita Tornbee-Snoad, who had not been seen in well over a week.

"Why these maggots wriggle so well..." Archie muttered to himself

6. Irafly

Irafly Indi "Ira" Jones

I have a few of these patterns as well but as of yet they have not worked for me. Mine are not tied as emerges though, they are tied as attractors. I used to tie up a similar emerger using a stretched out piece of white nylon and a small "ball" of styrofoam. I would put the styrofoam inside the nylon like putting it inside a bag and then tie the bag end onto the hook. I think I learned the pattern from a guy who worked at the Fly Smith in Marysville when it was still open.

Here is some more information about the Boobby: http://www.bishfish.co.nz/webbooks/smttrout/boobyfly.htm

As for bugs, they do have midges but they call the patterns buzzers, instead of chironomids.