A rookies log.

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by DanielOcean, May 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DanielOcean

DanielOcean Steelhead Virgin

Spent 80.00 bucks on fly tying material today. Found a new addiction.

BASS_TURDS likes this.
  2. that's about the only thing I have left to relearn.

I took a class back 10 years ago with dry flies and nymphs, and let me tell u at 16 it was the most boring thing ever as I was more concentrated on bong rips and chasing tang.

I keep telling myself im going to start tying steel flies, but for some reason never get around to it. I have everything I neeed too:(

3. DanielOcean

Hit the Stilly again today. Did not catch anything. Could not help but feel a surge of discouragement today but I know that is the name of the game. Its almost like there are no fish in the river or something. Fished around deer creek today with no avail. Yes I am bitching. I am ordering a pizza, and drinking some beer to ease the pain.

4. DanielOcean

Another thing that frustrated me today was the fact that every single fly I have purchased from Pacific Fly Fishers has completely fallen apart. I know I am not doing anything wrong so it is not my fault. I think I am going to talk to them next time and let them know they need to re evaluate the quality of the flies they receive from there vendor. Damn waste of money.

5. constructeur

constructeur Active Member

Unless you're tying your own, or paying top $$$ for an American/local tier, you're going to get flies from Guadalajikistan, and they're going to fall apart on ya.
    Part of the game mang.

6. DanielOcean

Thanks man. Yeah I guess I figured this out today. All of my flies are still just fine.

7. jsuyes

jsuyes FFF-CCI

I dont think thats far from the truth. The Bogachiel was void of steelhead this weekend.

8. It is still somewhat early in the season. Just wait young grasshopper Daniel son

9. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Daniel,

A good angler I know has fished the NF Stilly 5 times since the opener with no success yet. Last year he'd caught 4 by this time. It varies from year to year.

Sorry about your flies falling apart. Could be a quality issue, but are you positive that your casting technique is not a contributing factor? We learned some posts ago that you've got some issues there. I would expect even cheap flies, particularly ones from a shop, to last through a few days of fishing.

Sg

10. I have fished it 3 times this week and only seen one hatch brat.

11. DanielOcean

I am positive I am doing nothing wrong. I really spent a lot of time working out the kinks in my casting technique and I think I am good to go now.

12. Steffan Brown

Steffan Brown ...

Yeah, I'm leaning in SG's direction on this. I get most all my steelhead flies from Pacific Fly Fishers and have no issues with them. Most of the time I lose them before they fall apart on me. Some of the flies in my box have been fished for over a year with no issues; granted not every fly in my box gets fished each time I go out. I'm thinking there's something else going on and it's not a quality control issue at PFF.

13. Jason Rolfe

Jason Rolfe Wanderer

I'll throw in a couple thoughts.

Regarding flies--you'd be surprised at the myriad ways one is able to fuck up flies without even realizing it. It might be some little thing going on that you aren't even noticing. A common problem I have is fishing too deep, then getting flies hung up in rocks, and then as I'm trying to pull them free I lose the hackle or the wing as it gets cinched between rocks. So I guess I'm saying, it might not only be casting issues. Could be an issue with the way you are fishing them. I've never been to PFF, but I would guess a lot of people on here would stand by their products. And I would guess that if you went in and talked to them they would probably take care of you either way.

Regarding not catching fish--I didn't even expect to catch a fish during my first season of steelheading. I managed to hook and lose one, and I was overjoyed. If you're getting down on yourself for not catching a fish after your first few attempts, then you are in for a long, hard road filled with disappointment.

I've been at it a few seasons now, and have yet to land a fish. But the few I've hooked have made it all worth the trouble.

Jason

Steffan Brown likes this.
  14. plaegreid

plaegreid Saved by the buoyancy of citrus

This is my first season targeting these bad-boys, and that's how I'm looking at it too. This will be my year to learn how to read steelhead water, find good runs, tie some baller new flies, and just enjoy new areas. If I happen to hook some steel, bricks will be shat and the whole season will be a win. Even if you don't catch one this year, just think of all the knowledge you've already gained. Barring severe head trauma or prolonged binge-drinking sessions, all that information will help you become increasingly successful down the road.

15. The Duke

The Duke Been around

Keep an eye on your back cast to see if you touch down on the rocks behind you. I have been know to ruin a lot of steelhead flies that way, and have been casting a fly rod for over 15 years.

Keep at it. Once you figure it out, your flies will be ruined by fish and not their surroundings.

Thanks for the entertaining thread!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.