A rookies log.

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by DanielOcean, May 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DanielOcean

DanielOcean Steelhead Virgin

So I thought of a great idea. I had some old M4 magazine pouches, and I decided to turn them into fly rod holders. Now I do not have to go out and buy another pack as I have always loved this pack. Cut the bottom out of one mag pouch so the rod tube can slide through, then just simply attach the other mag pouch on the bottom of the pack with your molle straps, and there you go. Did not cost me anything to do this. back pack.jpg

Darthmonkey, plaegreid and BASS_TURDS like this.
  2. plaegreid

plaegreid Saved by the buoyancy of citrus

Now you're thinking with portals! Sweet idea.

3. Darthmonkey

Darthmonkey Active Member

See if you can't mount the bottom pouch a little lower, you really only need two rows of MOLLE webbing to hold the thing in place, but should help bring the rod tube lower down on your ruck and not grab so many trees/shrubbery if you're walkin' around some of the bushier trails.

Zeb Stadler and JesseC like this.
  4. DanielOcean

You surely can. However, when the tube is sticking out of the bottom like that I can not lay the bag upright which bugs me a little. When hiking through tons of brush there is enough tension on the top pouch that I can drop the tube down where I need it and then take some paracord and tie the tube handle to the molle.

5. golfman44

golfman44 4-Time Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year

The sage vantage rod tube you just got has an upper section that fits the rod with reel attached so it's a little bigger. I think you could even just cut the bottom out of 2 pouches and attach the tube to your bag with the reel section on top to prevent it from falling out. This is how I hiked and bush hacked yesterday and the rod didn't budge from my bungee cord type straps on the pack. This would allow it to sit much lower. Either way it's a sweet idea

JesseCFowl likes this.
  6. DanielOcean

golfman,

I think you are right. I noticed that there was alot of tension in just the top pouch alone. I think I am going to cut the bottom out of the the other one towards the bottom, and see if it stays snug enough. I would think that if you are jogging with the thing on it may move around a little bit, but I do not see myself running with it.

7. golfman44

golfman44 4-Time Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year

Yea I can't imagine the vantage tube ever coming out of it. I seriously love that case

8. DanielOcean

back pack v2.jpg Version 2

plaegreid likes this.
  9. _WW_

_WW_ Fishes with Wolves

This thread has gone to hell since the mention of "bobber"...

10. Sean Beauchamp

Sean Beauchamp Hot and Heavy at yer 6

Kudos on the craftiness... but Rod tubes are for pussies. My 4 piece rods get purchased, removed from the tube and then never make it passed 2 pieces ever again. Rod tubes get dusty in the corner of the closet between the Christmas decorations and your childhood photo albums. They don't go on your backpack. You are gonna "hike" into a run and while you are fiddling with stringing up your rod I will walk past you, plug my already rigged rod together and start casting. If there was a sweet swingin run on top of Mt Everest a steelheader will summit with no oxygen, a 20oz bottle of water, a macadamia nut cliff bar, and a rigged Spey rod in hand.

Congrats on hookin one tho. Keep at it. Just keep it simple.

11. underachiever

underachiever !

This is crazy talk, it would be a peanut butter clif bar.

12. DanielOcean

Sean,

With all do respect you are funny. How is it a guy who wants to be efficient needs to be considered a pussy when you clearly just admitted that you keep christmas decorations, and children's photos in your closet? I like to keep clothes, guns, knives, and ammo in my closet. Just sayin.

Thanks on the congrats. If I ever run into you on the river there will be a beer in my cooler with your name on it. Yes, I am able to pack beer down to the river because my hands are free due to my rod tubes being on my back pack.

13. cuponoodle breakfast

cuponoodle breakfast la flama blanca

There is nothing efficient about assembling a rod and stringing it up every time you use it. My rods get taken down to two pieces and the reels never come off.

14. DanielOcean

Cup,

I can see your point. However, I do not like talking about it but I have a problem with my left hip. Because of this it is safer for me to have my hands free when hiking to my location because there have been alot of times where my hip simply gave out on me and it has not been pretty. Now I am able to atleast have my hands free to catch myself.

Sean Beauchamp likes this.
  15. Sean Beauchamp

Sean Beauchamp Hot and Heavy at yer 6

Touché. Ok, so you aren't a weenie. What about a hiking/wading staff ever considered one? Might help keep you stable on river rock.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.