A rookies log.

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by DanielOcean, May 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DanielOcean

DanielOcean Steelhead Virgin

LOL My wife is actually very supportive, and will be by my side this year trying to catch those damn fish. Just figured I would make a few laugh with some wife jokes.

2. Klickrolf

Klickrolf Active Member

Daniel, if you're gonna fish summer run steelhead you might not even need waders...unless you get cold quickly. This has been a very enjoyable thread.

3. DanielOcean

I am happy that everyone including myselfbis enjoying. Anyone ever willing to take me under there wing would be great.

4. Klickrolf

Klickrolf Active Member

If you ever visit the Klick I'll show you what I can.

5. cuponoodle breakfast

cuponoodle breakfast free bird

People have been catching steelhead for decades on gear that's way less sophisticated than what's available today. Get a rod. Get a reel. Get a line. Go out and learn where steelhead hold. The greatest rod and reel won't catch shit if you can't read water. You can take to the water with thousands of dollars worth of gear, but you'll just be a poser if you don't know where or how to fish it.

plaegreid likes this.
  6. DanielOcean

Happy Sunday everyone. Well this is my personal log so I will make a quick log.

I was laying down last night, and thinking about fishing. Thinking about what else I need to have as far as gear, thinking about the river in my head, and wondering where is a good place to take my family that will have some good holding water.
    It then hit me. I said to myself what are you doing. I began to think about all my years as a little boy in Lynden Washington where over the course of 10 years I had fished the Fish Trap creek with my friends, hunting cutthroat trout, and once catching what appeared to be a very tired pink salmon. I thought about it. Do I already have all of the skills necessary to catch fish? I must have caught hundreds of fish in that small town creek. I learned where those little fish hold. Also found some great swimming holes where we tried to talk the girls into skinny dipping with us but I suppose the cold water affect turned them off in more ways than one.
    I am a rookie most definately. However, in some philosophical way, will we all always be rookies of the hunt? I think at the end of it in my personal experience with trying to transfer from a gear angler to a Fly angler is that I and a lot of other newbies have a bad habit of over complicating the whole thing.
    In the end I have come to the conclusion that the minds inside those little trout that I would catch are not much different than the trout in big rivers. So now I tell myself, just get out there and fish the water like you already know how.

7. hydrological

hydrological beads are NOT flies and snagging is just ghetto

yes, and many steelheaders couldnt live without the deschutes either

8. DanielOcean

Wow dude nice one. Took you a long time to come up with that though. LOL Dang I am so excited for June 1st.

9. Already started tying leaders and egg patterns ready strip and rip floatimg saturday bright and early

10. DanielOcean

I am kinda afraid to go out opening day. I fear the river will be so crowded I will have to take a number.

11. Dn
    Don't be a puss

constructeur likes this.
  12. DanielOcean

Fine ill go fishing.

BASS_TURDS likes this.
  13. constructeur

constructeur Active Member

That's why TURDS like him a spey rod,it's a longer joustin' stick.

DanielOcean and BASS_TURDS like this.
  14. any idea on what part? check your pm inbox later today.

15. DanielOcean

I have no idea yet. I am thinking possibly that bridge in sultan ( or is it goldbar) where the wallace enters the river.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.