a survey about your favorite rod

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by C&CRods, May 13, 2013.

1. Irafly

Irafly Indi "Ira" Jones

I love my GLX two piece 9' 4wt, I don't imagine that it won't be my favorite for sometime. It seems to do everything I want it to do without to much issue, but mostly I use it for indicator fishing in lakes.

I think I would like an 11' or so 3wt or 4wt switch rod loaded with just the right grain line to really turn over loooooooong leaders and indicators in stillwaters. I have a 5wt now but I wan't something a bit less if you know what I mean. How about 2wt switch?

2. Patrick Allen

Patrick Allen Active Member

Don't know why but my favorite rod is an inexpensive at the time 9' 5 wt Scott Alpha series. I can cast it better than any other rod I own. I do want a 7 wt deer creek switch but it will have to wait a while longer.

3. Mark Mercer

Mark Mercer Member

Easy......My all time favorite trout rod is my Winston Biit 8'6" 4wt (aka staff of Moses), does so many things, and is a blast to cast and fish.

Saltwater...Biimx 9'6" 5wt and 6wt.

Next rod? I think a 8' biit 3wt, maybe to replace my 8'6" WT 3wt 3pc which doesn't get the use it used too because of the biit 4wt.

Mark

4. Itchy Dog

Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

Home Page:
    I have a couple that I fish often and really like, but the rod I fish the least deserves the shout: Sage XP 8100 (10 foot, 8 weight). Doesn't see a lot of use in favor of the two-hander, but the 8100 is a pleasure to cast for an 8 weight.

Kent Lufkin and Porter like this.
  5. Peyton00

Peyton00 Active Member

IF i had a favorite rod its the one i am using at that time. I would like a 6' 2wt for little streams.

6. underachiever

underachiever !

My favorite rod is whatever one I happen to be casting because it means I'm doing something I thoroughly enjoy.

7. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

My favorite rod of all time is a sage brownie two piece 6wt speyrod made by a guy that lives up around big lake. It was my first speyrod and still the go to summer run rod.

8. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

i have cast many wonderful rods in my days

the Fenwick HMG 590
    the fisher 906 ( but it was fragile)
    the orvis Salmon 10 ft 9wt
    the orvis rivermaster 9'6" 8wt
    Orvis 10 ft 7 wt trident TL ( i think it was trident)

but my favorite rod to cast of all time is the CF Burkheimer 9'5" 8wt
    holds a full DT 8 in the air and shoots into the backing yet loads nicely with a 10 ft leader and 2 feet of line.

my favorite rod on the planet to actually fish and not just cast is the CF Burkheimer 590-4 dal or the 489-4 dal I'd have an exceptionally hard time choosing between the two.

People rave about Burkheimer spey rods but they are nothing compared to Burkheimer trout rods.. would say that whether i worked there or not.

Dave Evans likes this.
  9. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Sage z axis 486-4 built by Mike Ediger
    Sage z axis 586-4 (recently departed and hopeful to replace)
    Lew C Parks 7'3" 3pc 4wt Bamboo
    Orvis zero gravity 865-4 (broken and not able to replace, sad)

I have many more that I like, some older, some newer.

10. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

No, we are all happy people here. It's just gets tiring reading about rods all the time. I'm happy with the few rods that I have. How about we all talk about the fish we have caught.

11. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

I have fished all winter long. The Beaverhead doesn't freeze over like the Big Hole or the Madison does.

12. Chris Johnson

Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

fits my hand like a 7 a.m. erection.:rolleyes:, That made me chuckle.

Just yesterday morning, it was fighting heavy winds on B.C.'s Peterhope Lake. How did you do? I fished that lake with my Dad about 45 yrs ago.

13. Brian Thomas

Brian Thomas Active Member

For lake fishing , my all time favorite rod is my 10 ft , 5 wt St. Croix Ultra Legend . It has the perfect slowness for fishing chironomids under a bobber with long leaders . When the wind is up and I want to toss dragons , leeches or damsels , my T&T Horizon 6 weight gets the call .
    We don`t have many small creeks around here , so my river trout fishing is mainly on the Thompson . For that , I mostly use my Gary Anderson 12 ft. 3 wt spey rod . I have`nt found one that is better . If I want to use a single hander , I really like my Loop Grey Line 4 wt .
    Favorite 2 hander is my Loomis 12.5 ft 7/8 Stinger . I also really like my 9143 Burkie , but it`s really a little too much rod for the Skeena tribs I fish annually .

What I need is a 9 1/2 or 10 ft single hander in an 8 weight to satisfy my obsession of hooking a wild steelhead on a dead drifted green drake dry . I know where it can be done , and actually had three different fish come up last year , but buck fever set in each time , and I pulled the fly away at about Mach 6 each time

14. Mark Mercer

Mark Mercer Member

15. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

My favorite is usually the last one I bought. Having said that my favorite favorite is a Sage LL 4 wt.