Allen and Co. ( Fly fishing company)

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Jerry Arlington, Dec 22, 2009.

1. Jerry Arlington

Jerry Arlington Member

Home Page:
    Finally got all my stuff. I had to send the first reel back, it was not big enough for my spey line and backing. I love my new reel, it is smooth as glass and the drag is smooth as silk and it is pleasing to the eye, it looks like it cost $300-$400 instead of Allen's prices.

The Ruck sake and attachable vest is great also. Very sturdy made with tons of double zipper pockets, two ripple foam fly boxes that zip and then fold down to a 90 degree. Great product.

This guy is great to work with, he'll get you what you need and make sure that it works like you expect.

I highly recommend his products.

Jerry Arlington

2. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

I've got one of the reels and although I've only used it one time it is very nice, buttery smooth, drag feels super solid and it is very pleasing to the eye. I hope to put it through the rigors and I'm sure it can handle them all. Great input Jerry, I'm gonna check the web site again and do some browsing.

3. Rob Ast

Rob Ast Active Member

I picked up the rucksack with chest pack. Nicely featured product. Chest pack and back pack can each be worn individually or as a combo. Has a pocket for a hydration bladder with routing for the tube. As a bonus Justin threw in the front portion of the vest as well which will also attach to the same rucksack. Gives me many options and looking to try it out this summer.

4. Jeremy Cram

Jeremy Cram Member

I ordered their 100ct octopus hooks. They're a great price. I havent' fished them yet, but they seem to be sharp. However, of the 10 or so I pulled out there were 2-3 with damage, like gouges or nicks, etc. For that price, I'd be willing to lose a few to the manufacturing process. I just hope the non-damaged ones hold up OK.

5. AllenFlyFishing

AllenFlyFishing Allen Fly Fishing

Home Page:
    Esgarbanzo, Send me a PM with your addres. No need to buy something you cant use. Let me replace those hooks for you. Let me know how many. 3% of production are parts that should be replaced.

6. Kaari White

Kaari White Active Member

Hey Allen Fly Fishing- when are you going to start selling an anti-reverse reel? What will it cost when it is available?

Thanks!

7. AllenFlyFishing

Home Page:
    Hello, Just opend my email aswell. It will be ready in Late March early April. I have the 3d prints done, but doing some changes on it. I have a price target of $125 - $150. It depends on a few things. I might be 10% to 20% higher. Right now I'm trying to finalize my Centerpin reel. The anti reverse will have 3 options. One made by who is making my XL reel, the secound will be made in the States in South Bend, IN, and the third will be made in Canada and out of titanium. Ofcourse that will be more expensive and only done by special order. I want to give everyone 3 price points on what they feel that they want to spend.

8. Phishy

Phishy Member

Justin, Do you have any more pics of your reels then what's on the website?

9. AllenFlyFishing

Home Page:
    Sure, i can send you more photos. PM me with your email address.

thanks

10. Randall Clark

Randall Clark Active Member

For those who have the Alpha reel, how strong is the drag on that thing? I'm contemplating trying out the 12/14 for tuna (as part of my backup/topwater setup).

Also, I've been tying up a bunch of stonefly nymphs on some of his hooks and they have worked out great so far. Just ordered a bunch of octopus hooks as well.

anyone try out the lines yet?

11. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

I sure like the looks of that XL 5/6 . As soon as I save some more bennies, I'm going to order one and an extra spool. It should look good on my TFO 5 wt.

12. Zack Dudley

Zack Dudley Take em'

awesome looking gear! any idea when the 3wt rods and reels are going to be out?

13. AllenFlyFishing

Home Page:
    Hi Zack, I'll be ready in March with my 3wt rod. Going to do a combo special on some gear. I'll send out details later. PM me if you would like to know.

14. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

Justin, let me know when you get the centre pin reel and a rod combo set-up. i'd be interested.

15. Brian Miller

Brian Miller Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout

On Monday the new Allen Alpha 5/6 reel(s) got here. I ordered a reel at a sale price of $60 shipped and spare spool for $105 shipped. He sent two reels instead. I emailed him and asked him how to return the 2nd reel body and he told me to keep it because he had run out of spares stock.

Wow! What an awesome reel. The drag on the Ross Cimarron is primitive and clunky compared to the Cabelas RLS I have on my 3 weight. 1st impressions of the Allen are nice fit/finish, and an even silkier smoother drag than the RLS, capable of very fine adjustments (unlike my Ross) and no noticeable startup inertia to overcome. Easily as nice/nicer as the RLS; Cabelas’ highest rated branded reel, and itself a great bargain.

I need to burn some PTO so I’m taking this coming week off. Headed off to spend our Valentines anniversary weekend in a ocean front cottage B&B. I’ll bring my rod and see if I can find any Sea Runs in the bay. But I’m going to spend a day, possibly two on the water closer to home earlier in the week and get a better idea how I like the Allen Alpha.

*1 year later... Time tells, Ya gets what ya pays for.