Any Mushroomers?

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by jimmydub, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Where do you go to learn this stuff? Besides pocket guides, I mean.

2. Matthew Gulbranson

Matthew Gulbranson Resident Swinger

I took a simple hour or two introduction class by a UW Mycologist a long time ago. Everything beyond that was off of the book guides. Once you know what you are looking for (different components of mushrooms) it's not as difficult as most people think. I go for the ones I can identify easily, usually without doing spore prints and such, and it usually means that I find something eatable when I venture out into the woods in the fall. Of course there are species that take some doing in identification, it just depends on how far you want to go.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the 'other' cohort of mushrooms yet. Those being the hallucinogens. Those can be found quite easily as well in the fall if you know what you're looking for, if you actually want to look for them :)

jimmydub likes this.
  3. jimmydub

jimmydub Active Member

I recommend reading "Mycelium Running" by Paul Stamets. He knows how to break the fungal kingdom down, but it still can be a dense read. Again, "Mushrooms Demystified" along with "All That the Rain Brings and More" by Arora are recommended reads for understanding fungi. Mushroomexpert.com is a great site to check out as well.

Mycological societies are great places to go if you're really interested in learning about mushrooms. Different areas have different organizations. I was lucky enough to have been given a morel tour with a master identifier from the Puget Sound Mycological Society, when I worked for the state doing habitat restoration. The amount of knowledge I gained from that one trip was tremendous.

4. jimmydub

jimmydub Active Member

"Psilocybin Mushrooms of the World" by Stamets is the resource for identification. If you want to use these, you must have this book. If you want to be seriously blown away, I recommend the book as well. I just recommend it all around. It can save your life, or the lives of others. The better field guides give good identification for some of the Psilicocybe species, as well as the deadly Galerina species, but no one has really dived into to the world of Psilocybes as Stamets.

I was going to mention the book in my above post, but didn't want to get too long winded. I was going to mention that there are a couple separate specialized books that I have gained a great deal of knowledge from, another being "Morel Hunting" by John and Theresa Maybrier.

5. Matthew Gulbranson

Matthew Gulbranson Resident Swinger

The other book that I like is The New Wild Savory Mushroom. It doesn't have a ton of mushrooms in it, but it's a local book and gives you a good place to start if used as a field guide. I've used it for years.

jimmydub likes this.
  6. wetfeet

wetfeet Member

Anybody wanting to learn about mushroom hunting should get a book by David Aurora called All That The Rain Promises and More. He has a large encyclopidia also that is fantastic. Also most larger citys around here have mushroom clubs or mycological societies which are great. PSMS is a great one in seattle area. Use to really be into it but havent really done much hunting latley. Really alot of fun.

7. wetfeet

wetfeet Member

Well crap, guess those books were already posted, guess I should've read the second page :/

jimmydub likes this.
  8. jimmydub

jimmydub Active Member

Been there! See everyone, David Arora is a highly recommended author.

9. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

So what's the morel update? I should start looking in the Oregon Cascades pretty soon... the snow is rapidly going away.

10. Kelly Michelsen

Kelly Michelsen Active Member

If you don't have a dehydrator hang them with some old monfilment put in jar when you are ready to cook rehydrate with water. Thats what my family
    Did with morels.
    Kelly Michelsen

11. TribalDragon911

TribalDragon911 Member

I have been wanting to try looking for morels around the Walla Walla area but have had no luck so far. Took the kids up into some areas that would seem to have shrooms but nothing so far. I don't know if they have been picked through or I just suck at looking for them. I have asked some people for pointers in our area that I know hunt them but I am guessing good shrooming spots are like good fishing spots. Don't talk about them!
    Hopefully I find some soon or my son is going to think I am loosing it.

12. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

If you're in Walla Walla, drive up the Tollgate road to Elgin. Take any logging roads just below the snow line. You may need to stop at a few different places but this is the time of year my family did quite well in the Tollgate area.

If you don't mind driving a little further, take I-84 from Pendleton to La Grande. Take the Mt Emily Road off the freeway. Once on Mt Emily Road, you can head North or South and again, investigate the spur roads. There are morels there, you just need to hit it when they pop up.

Virginia, our new dog, Mia and I are heading up to our super secret spot in the Oregon Cascades to look for shrooms on Saturday. Word has it the time to hunt is now. .. today.

13. Matthew LeBret

Matthew LeBret Active Member

Our kids wanted to go camping this weekend so we got our trailer all loaded up and off to the woods we went. We lucked out and had some good weather and even a few mud puddles for the kids. Overall great weekend and we even ended up picking enough morels to start the drying process.
    DSCN1678.JPG DSCN1680.JPG DSCN1675.JPG