Anyone ACTUALLY received Scadden power stroke oars?

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by CMustang1, May 4, 2013.

1. CMustang1

CMustang1 _

I don't know what is going on. I have talked to Sawyer in the past. They did not give any indication that the troubles are on their end. Six of one, half dozen of the other who is telling the truth.

2. Gregg Lundgren

Gregg Lundgren Now fishing on weekdays too!

I was told by one of the employees at NFO, that Sawyer could not keep up with demand in general. NFO had received only a partial shipment against their backorder. (rationing?)

• Dave designs good boats.
    • Dave sells a lot of boats.
    • Dave tells customers what they want to hear. ("Comes with everything you see here. Delivery in 3 weeks. What? No, we are not having any inventory issues.")
    • Dave cuts deals. (Every person for themselves on this, often to the surprise of the guys packaging the orders. Also makes it hard for everyone to compare notes.)
    • You don't always get what you negotiated for. (Inventory shortages, juggling, confusion?)
    • After the sale, I believe they try to do the right thing, but seem to lack a system. Unsolicited outbound communication to customers seems almost non-existent.
    Personally, I try to under-promise and over-deliver in my dealings with others. Doesn't mean everyone else plays by the same rules. Although to their credit, Dave did tell me to keep the interim aluminum oars, no charge. I went into my Assault XX purchase 'enlightened' by the discussion on this forum. So, I was prepared for errors and delays. I already had a Water Master at the ready, so my frustrations were kept to a minimum.

The bottom line is... I really like the Assault XX with the Power Stroke oars. But, it is hard to understand why so many people have to be engaged in such a difficult journey.

FinLuver and Ed Call like this.
  3. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

I love cataract mini magnums drilled and pinned to my assault.

4. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

I love my assaultxx. It's awesome every time I take it out.

I wish I could jump into the company for a couple months as a consultant, improve the hell out of the operations, and make a slice of the revenue that he'd get as a result. There seems to be sooooo muuuuuuch low hanging fruit in terms of opportunities for positive change.

Unfortunately at this point, I think he'd need a total rebrand.

5. Fishinbeatsworkin

Fishinbeatsworkin Member

I'll call Sawyer direct when I get ready to make the purchase. i think I'll get my trolling motor set up first

6. CMustang1

CMustang1 _

I'm betting that if I ever receive oars, that is what will be sent instead of the Sawyers.

Thanks Gregg for the review! I think that is spot on, unfortunately I was not as enlightened going into this. If my situation ever gets resolved I'll be able to add some useful information to it.
    Although I do not think the trouble is on Sawyer's side. I would suggest to people that they consider the source(NFO) and take it with a grain of salt.

7. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:
    Let me know if you need a set of oars, either the Sawyers or Mini Mags. I can have some shipped immediately and give you a 10% discount. Of course, they won't have the fancy flower printing on them...I don't recall if you already paid NFO for a set of oars or not or if you can get your money back if you did but at least it is another option for you.

8. PT

PT Physhicist

I haven't received oars or a boat from NFO:( But, I only tried for 3 months to order one a couple years ago before giving up. Maybe I should have been more persistent in trying to give them my money.

;)

Good luck in your quest.

9. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Nice looking oars on your WM. Smart choice to invest in the press tool to get it right. Any reason you have your seat back clips in the fabric deck drain hole instead of running them to the glued on D rings?

10. scottybs

scottybs Active Member

Home Page:
    To save a few bucks I stopped in @ http://www.accentpaddles.com/ Accent Paddles in Minneapolis and the owner Stu made me a couple longer extensions with concave paddles on the ends. Cost me $40. Fast forward, took my Renegade down Lees Ferry for a 4 day float and I was amazed at how much more responsive the boat was! Cheers!

11. RCSFLYFISH

RCSFLYFISH New Member

Only clipped there for the photo Ed.

12. Mossyback

Mossyback New Member

I have been waiting for my power strokes since February. I've heard the story so many times, " we expect a shipment next week to cover our backorders". Everyday I drive past the front of my house hoping against hope that maybe a box is sitting on the porch. But alas, nothing is ever there. I called today to ask what the excuse du jour was, and Dave gave me the same song and dance. Frustrated, I told him I would like a refund, and that I would find my oars elsewhere. He offered to ship me a set of what he called his "2014" oars. He told me to use them, and if I didn't love them, he would still make good on the power strokes when they arrive, and take back the "2014" oars. He couldn't offer me a picture or much of a description of the new oars, but he did tell me they have cataract shafts and super floating blades. We all know that an oar blade in the water that catches a rock is instantly problematic when you have pinned oar shafts, so I like the concept of floaters, hopefully they actually do float. I agreed to try them out. I have not heard anything bad about the mini mags, and anything would be better than the chintzy aluminum oars that came with my Assualt XX. Is there anyone out there who has compared the mini mags to the popwer stroke directly on the XX?

13. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:

You are talking SAWYER. Did you get your boat? Dave tries to fill his end of the orders as quick as he can. He could wait to send the whole order when he gets the parts, but personally, I want the boat now and I can use the oars that come with it.
    Sawyer is back ordered everywhere isn't it?

14. CMustang1

CMustang1 _

My case is still on going and has not gotten any better. The two sets of power strokes still are not here. Dave refuses to address and fix the safety issues. Other than that I can not go into detail at this time. I have talked to Sawyer. You can buy really nice Sawyer oars straight from them. The power strokes are months and months out, but according to NFO,and it does not matter who you talk to, the same canned answer is "I just received confirmation today that they are on the way".

15. Patrick Allen

Patrick Allen Active Member

I have a pair of the Saywer oars from NFO that I put rope wrap on to use with my frame. I don't use them and would be willing to sell them after I take the rope wrap off. They have been used probably 5 times. Willing to sell the set for $225.00 if someone is interested. Will not ship though