Avoid Upper Yak Canyon Aug. 16th

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by scottr, Aug 13, 2014.

1. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

We should schedule a Yakima River Clean-up event for the following day. Bring body bags.

2. psycho

psycho Active Member

I don't EVER rescue people from situations like that, I believe that if people want to kill themselves then I should not interfere with their good intentions. My grandfather always told me that if you got yourself into a predicament that required rescuing, than you should be prepared to do self rescue, wether it was in the bush or on the water. His advice has stood the test of time for my 74 years.:D

3. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

Lawn chair set up about 80' from the takeout sounds about right.

c1eddy and stilly stalker like this.
  4. CLO

CLO 9 time heavy weight steelhead champion

....Best thing about college girls, I keep getting older and they stay the same age.
    [​IMG]

5. Travis Bille

Travis Bille Active Member

One summer I saw a guy floating down the canyon, hanging onto an inflated black garbage bag with a 6 pack of Icehouse. He was headed to clown college, big time. Full scholarship.

Dan Cuomo and Ed Call like this.
  6. Gary Knowels

Gary Knowels Active Member

Alright, alright, alright!

The Duke and Irafly like this.
  7. Gary Knowels

Gary Knowels Active Member

on a related note, are there an places in western washington that people would recommend a gathering of sober friends floating down a river with minimal danger? i understand that floating on an river brings an element of danger, but are there any relatively safe places to float in an innertube?

8. Steve Kokita

Steve Kokita FISHON206

Swimming pool Gary.....:)

9. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

The Navy taught me how to float using my hat, shirt or pants. Back then they were called dungarees. All methods worked.

Ed Call likes this.
  10. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

I grew up floating rivers and rapids with inner tubes and beer from about 15 years old on! Also cliff dived all around my local rivers. But I guess that was back when kids actually went outside and played with adventure on the mind. Now everyone grows up with video games or sits on the computer bashing everyone else!

I also had my daughter jumping off cliffs by the time she was 10, nephews floating rivers with scuba masks on body surfing rapids and checking all the holes where we would catch steelhead to see why they would hold their!

I'm just glad some young people are actually enjoying our rivers and actually being adventurous. Are there any cliffs to dive off on the way down? Maybe I will join them at age 55 and have a blast!!!

Lex, Steve Call, mtskibum16 and 7 others like this.
  11. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Drifter, there are a few places that people dive off the canyon wall rock outcroppings that should fit your flying adventure needs. Hope you won't be the one wearing the banana hammock...or less!

I've floated a few times shortly after this or similar EPIC event. I can recall coming home one day with my rear passenger dry box, about 60 liters, and front dry box, about 40 liters, packed full of destroyed pool toys used to float the river. Many were stuck in strainers or overhanging branches along the river edge. Lots of Styrofoam cooler fragments. I found a few six packs in the side eddys.

I have floated on days that the river is pretty full of recreational floaters. I've found most to be pretty sociable but unable to control their craft much.

Enjoy the show.

12. JE

JE Active Member

Make sure you are driving behind them on the way to the river too. They will have all kinds of coolers, inflatables and other crap haphazardly tied to the top of their vehicles which will fall off, a car will slam on its brakes and swerve into your lane, you'll rear end that car and get a ticket for following too close.

13. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

I am not going to tell you about the time me and a few buddies decided to have a beer party on a sand bar in the Mississippi. I believe that I was around 18 at the time. And yes, there were girls involved in addition to the beer. My folks would have been so proud of me....

14. plaegreid

plaegreid Saved by the buoyancy of citrus

One might entertain the idea of sitting in a bush with a pellet gun if one wished to see how well these younguns can swim.

TK-421 likes this.
  15. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

This might be a good day to go on a picnik, this kind of thing brings back memory's of all the things I did in my youth that should have killed me,yet just like these kids most of us survived.