Avoid Upper Yak Canyon Aug. 16th

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by scottr, Aug 13, 2014.

1. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Seriously... a flat screen TV and a Honda generator in one of the tandem rafts... now that's certainly upping the ante!

2. Jeff Dodd

Jeff Dodd Active Member

That looks fun but @ 43 I would be just a creepy guy.

I remember floating the Yakima when I lived in e-burg. Man that was fun... For the first 6 hours, then you run out of beer and you are ready for a super mother burger.

Is the smiley face rock still in the lower canyon? That was a popular jump off spot, along with the tall cliff across from Irene Reinheart's park trail. Home-built boogie boards bungees to the sweepers. So much fun and to think it wanted to leave.?.

3. Irafly

Irafly Indi "Ira" Jones

I also grew up near a river and spent countless hours exploring everything it had to offer. I never once floated it with a tube but I did float it several times with my mask, by myself at the ages of 9 to 11. I took swim lessons early on and I felt at home in the water and in the river. The river was small though in comparison with only a couple of places really providing even a modicum of danger. I then grew up to be a high school and college swimmer and a life guard which taught me to respect the water much more than I did as a kid. One time out on the North Shore of Oahu I decided to body surf the waves there and an undercurrent pulled me down and out like I was nothing more than a twig. At the time I was in great shape and I imagine it was the only thing that saved me needing rescuing myself. I have floated the Yak several times now and I'm torn reading this between the young me that floated the rivers sans floatation and the older version of me that knows too well how dangerous water can be.

I hope they all have a great time, make good choices, clean up after themselves and that everyone stays safe.

Jeff Dodd and airedale like this.
  4. Utah

Utah Member

Gonna be a lot of piss in that water!

5. tinman207

tinman207 Active Member

I grew up floating down rivers as well, but was taught to always understand and respect the water I was in, and to take out anything I took in. Most of them are really friendly and pretty intoxicated, and fairly entertaining really. But the amount of trash left behind was really bad.

6. psycho

psycho Active Member

Yes the Yak will be yellow for a few hours until it clears. If you have a deposit on bottles and cans you could probably float after them and recover enough to buy a top end rod or reel.
    When they float the Kettle up here I usually do a float around the first week of September, it is good for a new fly line. We do not have that sort of population to get that many floaters. They still leave their crap in the sweepers and logjams.

7. Peyton00

Peyton00 Active Member

They organized an event. They mention in the email that cleanup is an issue and they will address it.
    They didn't need to, but they may have informed the fly shops. These are adults out having a fun time enjoying the resources.

Just because they are not on the river sticking hooks into fish for the fun of it, doesn't make them bad people.

Lighten up Francis!

Ed Call and Steve Call like this.
  8. scottr

scottr Active Member

Pretty sure the clean up they are talking about relates to the camp area not the river but I may be wrong. I know people, good people, who will be there, I hope they have fun and stay safe. I'll choose to go fish another spot, no biggie.

9. Itchy Dog

Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

Home Page:
    More than likely none of them will have access passes. A few years ago I was driving toward Cle Elum as a rubber hatch of epic proportions was preparing to launch at the Teanaway confluence. Cars lined both sides of Hwy 10 for a half mile. In the lower canyon years before that, my truck and trailer got blocked in by a bunch of cars that were launching at Big Horn. There were also several buses unloading hoards of floaters. A lot of misguided youth, many making very poor decisions, and yet I did see perhaps the nicest set of boobies I've ever seen during a rubber hatch on the Yakima. I don't remember how the fishing was that day.

Steve Call and Derek Young like this.
  10. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    I really have no idea what you're talking about.

[​IMG]

Jeff Dodd, Lex, Itchy Dog and 7 others like this.
  11. splett

splett Active Member

+1

12. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

BUT, you DID remember the BOOBIES, didn't ya!
    Things like that will stick with a man. Kinda like the first
    really nice fish to take a dry fly on a dead drift.

Itchy Dog likes this.
  13. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

I ran into this same thing at the same spot in July. Only thing is I didn't see a set of boobies nor even a single boob. I did see a rather large lady get pushed under standing on the downstream side of the raft. (rookie mistake) She yipped pretty good as the Teanaway was still kinda cool.

14. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    I want to go . I want to see EVERY BOOB.

15. Derek Young

Derek Young 2011 Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide Of The Year

Home Page:
    There are some boobs you don't want to see. Like the last couple of years, hope that no-one is seriously injured or killed, but I'll be far, far away from there and dealing with the aftermath for a while as in the past.

Really surprised that the powers that be don't see this as a tax and fee bonanza and patrol/ticket this event. The merchants like the influx of cash but it's a double edged sword for the river and its wild fish. The leave no trace ethic is not in effect during this event.