Barbed vs. barbless debate resolved?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Alosa, May 31, 2013.

1. Alosa

Alosa Active Member

Come on Kerry S. I expect more from you...maybe not...

2. generic

generic Active Member

I forgot to pinch one of my barbs two days ago. First time in a long time that's happened. It took a little extra time to get it out, no bleeding, fish swam off just fine. I fished a little longer, then made my way back to that same spot. There was the fish I caught... dead.

Apparently (without even noticing) I must have gripped the fish too tight, and killed it. How many fish that are accidentally mishandled (because of a barbed hook, or a "glory shot" picture) swin off just fine... and then die?

I bet it's way more than you and I would like to admit.

Bill Aubrey and Krusty like this.
  3. Jim Speaker

Jim Speaker Active Member

Home Page:
    I'm 100% with the comments re catch efficiency not being part of the goal being on the water.

Funny thing is, when I do fly fish areas where gear fishers or bait fishers are present, they're typically looking over at me like WTF because: I'm presenting natural looking food source imitations not some chunk of metal or worm or power bait blob. Despite losing some to barbless hooks - kudos to the nice move from the fish - I still land more than the chuckers by far. Oh yeah and I don't tear their lip off in the process.

Useless study with regards to the group on this forum.

Bill Aubrey likes this.
  4. SteveA

SteveA Gnu to the board

It's not all about catching for me but about 60% of it is. When fishing I want to catch fish, and I do so with barbless hooks.

With that said, "News flash! Barbless hooks catch less fish!" Seriously?

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD

Bill Aubrey and Alex MacDonald like this.
  5. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Years ago, when barbed hooks were more common, I could drop my rod tip and let the line go all slack when a fish broke the surface, then raise the rod back up and continue to fight the fish. I don't remember ever losing fish. I pretty much do the same now, but tend to keep the line a little taunt if I can.

6. Irafly

Irafly Indi "Ira" Jones

I didn't read the full study, did it mention which group hooked up more often? When I bass fished in tournaments I would sometimes debarb my hooks because I felt I hooked up better on the fish. Probably just my imagination, but confidence is confidence.

7. Vladimir Steblina

Vladimir Steblina Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working

Home Page:
    Wow, shame on the American Fisheries Society for the $26 fee.

The guy writing the article was a government employee. The state of California paid for his research.

As a government employee you are not a for profit employee (well, unless your an elected official).

8. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Why? Because I don't see any reason to read a study that is going to tell me what I already know. Or is it you just want something to try and dig at me with? Likely more the reason for your "expectations". Good luck with that.

The study has little meaning to me. I fish barbless. The only reason this study may have any meaning to me is if fishery managers use it to set rules by and once again I fish barbless regardless so it will still have little to no affect on me or my fishing methods.

I would like to see someone post this on gamefishin.com purely for the entertainment it would provide. Those guys over there would argue this until the cows come home.

9. generic

generic Active Member

Yeah, like when the news comes out once in a while:

"Researchers have found, that eating less foods high in calories and saturated fats, along with exercise, helps counter the risk of heart attacks, and also helps you lose weight."

WHAT?! Really?! Who would of thought?!

10. Alosa

Alosa Active Member

Relax Kerry. Have a scotch on me, alright. I'm just trying to bring some information to the table that some folks might find interesting. I like to think that fly fishers have a vested interest in the resource, and like to educate themselves about these studies...thanks for proving me wrong.

Regarding the $26 fee for the article: yes, the government employee (Bloom) likely got funded through public money, but the American Fisheries Society is not a government organization. They charge authors/scientists money to publish their research (I know... I've paid to have my research published in AFS journals), and the cost is passed onto the consumer. This is common practice.

On the face of it you all might think that the info being provided is obvious (the author alludes to as much), but this kind of work is needed for managers to make decisions about the fishery regulations that are published by WDFW, ODFW, CDFW, etc. each year. This stuff matters to you and I and every other recreational angler out there.

Some other not-so-obvious things that I found interesting:

1) anglers fishing with dry flies, regardless of experience level, did better than those fishing with either streamers or nymphs;

2) experienced anglers did better than intermediate or novice anglers regardless of whether they fished with barbed or barbless hooks...which suggests that the more you fish the better you get at it (practice does make perfect):)

Bill Aubrey likes this.
  11. Peyton00

Peyton00 Active Member

Its nice to have the options to fish whatever style we like. I use barbs when allowed and have no problem pinching them down when asked by boat owner( if not on my boat) or required by regs.

Mark Kraniger likes this.
  12. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

Now you guys tell me I need a hook...

13. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

What good would a book do for you. You can't read the big words anyhow.

Olive bugger likes this.
  14. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

LOL:D

Well, some folks or more into casting than hooking fish... we call them steelhead flyfishers:)

Vlad, you are absolutely correct. One of my good friends and McKenzie River fishing buddies (and one hell of a fly tyer), Eric Hoberg, was on a scientist exchange program with Russia. This was looooooong before anyone thought of flyfishing in Russia. While in some remote area of the country, he tried flyfishing and caught huge trout. The locals knew nothing about flyfishing. We tried to convince him to write an article for a flyfishing magazine because he was also an excellent writer and photographer.

He explained to us that he could not profit from his trip to Russia because it was on our government dime. So... he was one of the first Americans to flyfish in Russia and discovered the untapped resource but couldn't write an article about his experience. Now of course, you can book a guided trip to flyfish in Russia.

When it comes to the barb vs barbless debate, I've read articles that are pro and con... both convincing. Lee Wulff did not condone the use of barbless hooks because he believed fly anglers tended to play the fish longer and thus exhausting the trout when using barbless hooks.

If you use the new age style hooks with the tiny barbs, I honestly don't think it makes as much difference when releasing the trout as it once did when the hooks were produced with much larger barbs.

15. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Just my less than valuable opin. There are so many fish/places to fish if it isn't 'Hatchery' you have to let it go. A non-barbed hook makes that pretty darned easy with out further damage to the fish. Only odd part is finding barbless hooks in small sizes is a real pain where one sits.

I get mine out of the UK, there you have a hell of a lot of choices. The mailing costs will freeze your heart. Postage for a .75 oz package was (roughly) $5.00 USD.