Basic things to check on an outboard?

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Nick Clayton, Jun 11, 2013.

1. Dipnet

Dipnet The wanted posters say Tim Hartman

Nick, as others have said, IMHO, it might be a fuel issue.

I would guess that Cheez/Jay let this boat sit for a long time with only a partially-filled tank and that he didn't pour fuel conditioner into the tank.

The worst thing to do is to have a not full gas tank. That just allows a lot of condensation inside the tank and the ethanol gas exacerbates the water/fuel problem.

Also, if it's sat for long, the ethanol can even deteriorate fuel lines and and other components and this crud can clog the lines.

You might wanna read this: http://www.iboats.com/basics/ethanol_fuels.html

I'd get rid of the old fuel, clean the fuel system as best you can and then enjoy your new vessel!

2. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

sounds like gas to me, too. The two best days in a boat owner's life is (1) when he buys it, and (2) when he sells it! One thing I do is pull the fuel line off as I motor up to the dock, and let the gas in the bowl go through the engine as it idles. Once the motor shuts off, I know there's nothing in the carb to gum up the works, and no ethanol sitting around to screw up the gaskets in the carb.

Jim Wallace likes this.
  3. Chris Bellows

Chris Bellows Your Preferred WFF Poster

good advice, and if it will sit awhile make sure to fully drain the carbs. i know on my honda there is still gas in the carbs even after running them dry. on the hondas it is easy to fully drain each individual carb.

i will concur also on fuel treatment... my boat runs better after 100 hours with treated fuel than when i got it used after sitting awhile and having the carbs sonic cleaned.

Jim Wallace likes this.
  4. Benjy

Benjy Active Member

While we're on the topic- don't run that gas that's been sitting in a can in your garage for the last 8 months. Put that stuff in your truck or lawn mower and use fresh gas in the outboard. I recommend an in line fuel/water separator, $30 for piece of mind.

5. John Vancil

John Vancil Member

6. cuponoodle breakfast

cuponoodle breakfast free bird

Keep an eye on the events calendar at your nearest cabelas. The tulalip store had a free seminar yesterday on the subject of maintaining engines.

7. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide.

Cranberry Country...a glorified coastal swamp!
    I hope my 9.9 hp runs OK. Haven't even had the power boat out this year. I ran the motor dry last time I used it, but failed to drain the carb bowl. I did change the motor oil, though. I do have fuel stabilizer in my gas. I'll find out soon!

I should probably change the gear oil, too.