Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Bellevue-Issaquah TU Meeting

1K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  scottr 
#1 ·
Which City-hall is the Eagle room in. The new police station, the old downtown city hall or the Annex? I am recent/new member of TU and would love to get involved.

Thanks.

#4 ·
Yes you are assigned a chapter based on the address you provided when you joined. Your chapter name and number should be on your TU membership card. Bell/Iss is chapter #109 and if you are not in that chapter but would like to be I think they can move you.

#5 ·
Since I am a member of another Chapter but have intrest in listening to information on the upcoming Cedar River opening could I come an listen in anyways. Might even get some good information from Mr Urabek to take back to the South Sound chapter? Also what is Mr Urabek back ground?

#8 ·
Hikepat

Anyone is welcome including members from other chapters.

I have not meet Frank Urabek and don't know much about his background. I know he is the president of the S. King County Chapter and played an active role in promotiong the CnR season on the Cedar.

#9 ·
I understand that he's a real proponent of the sockeye hatchery on the Cedar River, and would like to start pumping out hatchery steelhead as well. I also heard that he'd like to have a "catch and kill" fishery on the Cedar River for native trout.

Don't know him personally, so I can't verify this. . .

FP

#10 ·
FishPirate,

I hope you can come to the meeting. It would be a good chance to meet Frank and ask him about these issues in person.

I will be meeting him for the first time and I am interested to hear his views on the CnR season on the Cedar.

He was quoted in an article from last summer about the Cedar:
http://www.kingcountyjournal.com/sited/story/html/154852

Also, Did you know that historically the Cedar did flow into Lake Washington and the Sockeye run was largerly planted after it was diverted. It used to run through the Renton airport area where it met the Black River before entering the Green River near Tukwilla

#11 ·
Scottr,

I'm going to try to attend the meeting. I think you're right, and I would like to hear the "official" TU message from the horse's mouth. Every time I read something from the Washington chapters of TU, I think more and more about quitting the organization, even though I've been a member since 1986! :beathead

My understanding is that the Cedar did NOT flow into Lk Washington until 1913. . .is that what you meant?

By the way, I think your point on the natural origin of the sockeye is important. If the sockeye are not of native origin to the Cedar system, then isn't that even more of a reason NOT to propagate them artificially in a hatchery? I'm by no means an expert on the issue, but it doesn't pass the common sense test. Perhaps Mr. Urabeck will shed some light on the topic. . .

Thanks for the link!

FP

#12 ·
FP,

Yes that is what I was refering to. The Cedar was re-routed into the lake when the Montlake Cut and Locks were created. The idea was to make the lake a fresh water port for whale ships and to support the Newcastle coal mines.

I hope to see you at the meeting.

Scottr

#15 ·
The Bellevue Issaquah Chapter of Trout Unlimited will hold a reactivation reception on March 11 at 7PM in the Eagle Room of City Hall in downtown Issaquah (130 E. Sunset Way in the new Police Station).

Guest speaker Frank Urabek will talk about the proposed catch and release season on the Cedar River and he will discuss the Lake Washington Sockeye fishery. There will also be some door prizes given away and we'll talk a lot about fishing and how we can help trout, salmon, and steelhead in Washington.

If you are a member or not I hope you'll stop by. I have been working with the Washington Council of Trout Unlimited for over a year to get the Bellevue Issaquah Chapter running again. This will the first meeting of this chapter in years and is a great opportunity to get involved with TU.

This is the largest TU chapter in the State with over four hundred members and could be a powerful voice for conservation in Washington.

I hope to see you there!

Scott Rouse (Scottr)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.