Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Boy Scouts fishing hole

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Shawn Seeger 
#1 ·
In my past years I was a boy scout of america. In WA we have a few different camps that are ran by the BSA council. I wanted to know if anybody had ever tried to contact them and ask permissing to fish on the lakes that they have. I know of a few that would be worthy of fishing and that I would like to keep secret, but I think if we all talked to them about this and made small donations to the BSA council they might let us. There also might be some regulations to go with it, but i'm telling you, the lake i have in mind is perfect. I think the birds that fly over head even hold there crap when they fly over. This lake you can see all the way to the bottom, aprox. 40-60ft. Lets just keep this between us WA nerds. :)

#2 ·
i doubt they'd be willing. piscivore and i were wading the upper tucannon in the blues for trouts and happened upon a small pond off the river in an obscure spot in the woods. we fished it, C&Ring a few little guys when a couple of guys came upon us and notified us that it was a fishing pond for boy scouts or some thing like that. we had no idea and began to leave. but the guy backhandedly accused us of "stealing these poor kids' fish" and hinted that we had specifically targeted this [place as he didnt beleive we had simply stumbled upon it. he pissed us off by trying to shame us and we had to set him straight. but apparently they stock those ponds just for their kids so long story short they aren't going to accept it. they are tiny little stockers anyways, too much like a pay and catch pond, not worth the trouble.

#3 ·
Here I go again. There are a couple of lakes in the area of Lake Rosinger that are close to a Boy Scout Camp. But I don't think that they own the lakes. In fact somebody mentioned them a few years ago asking how to get to them. I usually don't try to get to places like that as my old legs and bad knees keep me from them.

Heading for 5100 :ray1:

Jim

#4 ·
I know where the camp is, its about 5 miles into the clearcuts of sultan area. I'm actually going to head to the council tomm and check things out. As it may be, i spoke to a bsa scout master at starbucks, very ironic, he told me that the camp has been redone and that they would probably just do a backround check on the people that would like to fish. Possibly ask for a small donation. To me, this would not be a pay to fish. These 2 lakes are prime and you would have to walk 1/2 to 1 mile to get to them. I would think that more fishermen would want to do this because atleast the $$ is going to a good cause, not the state for another recount.

#5 ·
Jim I think that was me asking how to get to one of them up by lake roesinger last year. I didn't realize it was a boy scout lake until I got up there. There was an old cabin on the lake with a caretaker that lived their during the winter. I figured that I since I was up there I would ask the guy if I could fish it. He was a very nice old indian but politely declined my wish to fish the lake. It looked like a great lake and had fish rising all over the lake. Let us know what you find out santoroman.

Josh

#6 ·
josw-

that is the lake that i was talking about. The indian man was actualy a fire marshall. The lake is called lake omachi, and it is owned by BSA, they also filmed the Vanishing and Friday the 13th movies on that lake. about 1 mile down the ways is the older camp brinkley, the lake you were at is now a new camp for BSA, and is called camp picket, I'm going to talk to BSA and see if i can get permission.

#9 ·
Well… santoroman…

I am a Scoutmaster, in Burien, which is part of the Chief Seattle Council ( http://www.seattlebsa.org/ ). Our District Executive is Ryan Larson. The 2 camps up (in the Monroe area) are Camp Pigott, the one with the log cabin (old Camp Omachi) and Camp Brinkley. My troop just did a work party at Camp Pigott 2 weekends ago.

I was thinking about taking my fly rods the next time we go.

Now, if some of you wanted to fish that lake (I don't even know if there are fish in it) and were willing to put in a little bit of time, say a Saturday, the Boy Scouts last year added a new merit badge "Fly Fishing". If you were willing to register and have a background check done, we always need merit badge councilors. You could maybe put on a Fly Fishing Merit Badge class and then get to fish the lake with the boys or before or after the class. You could show float tubes, pontoon boats, or shore casting.

Anyway… I just know that we are always short volunteers… and I/we can only do so much.

Just a thought on how you may get permission or a chance to fish the lake and help some boys learn a new experience that may change them forever. I did last summer with some of my scout on a week long trek into Hell's Canyon.

Anyway… just a thought.

Tight Lines and Shoot Straight
wabow
:thumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.