Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Breaking the law

3K views 54 replies 23 participants last post by  ChrisC 
#1 ·
Last weekend on the Hoh I watched two different boats get pulled over and issued hefty fines and get gear confinscated because they were using bait in the fly only and selective rules water. It was great! Not only to see that the enforcement is out there but also because we had told these knuckle heads that bait and barbs were not allowed in that paricular area. Instead of listening, they blew us off and tried to hide it the rest of the time. They fainted ignorance that they didnt know any better and that they would change up but they didnt. Both of these boats were out of state and the trailer vehicles had Oregon plates, one guy was even driving a hummer! It was nice to see that enforcement is present and protecting the Fish.

#4 ·
That is good to hear. The guy deserved a ticket just for driving the hummer. What I want to know (maybe someone out there has one and can tell me) is how a chap can go shopping, sit in one of those things, and then actually go through with it. Ithink th3e tinted windows have to be one of the selling points: "No one will actually be able to see who you are."

#5 ·
>That is good to hear. The guy deserved a ticket just
>for driving the hummer.

A while back, a friend sent me a photo of this bumper sticker:

'Real soldiers are killed in their Hummers every week so you can play soldier in yours.'

#7 ·
New River Mike

fortuna...

You've got to quit listening to that trout. Now he's steering you right into a collision with the Hummer owner's lobby. Oooh...that's gonna leave a mark...

;)

#8 ·
A good friend of mine drives a Hummer. He just bought it. I took it for a test drive the other day and the thing drives like a dream. One hell of a vehicle. Oh and by the way my friend is not rich nor does he have an exemptionally high paying job. He has worked hard all his life and as no real bills to speak of. He has paid off is home and can now do what he wants with his money. He is one of the nicest people I know. So when you jerks start mouthing off about who drives what. Remember that you don't know shit from shinola. I catch one of you jerks messing around with by friend's Hummer and I will cut off your ______. You fill in the blank.

#11 ·
Well now that you called me names I guess I'll answer.

I know that a Hummer takes up more resources and space than ANYONE reasonably needs. Whatever, it's a free country; long live democracy and capitalism. What puzzles me is wanting to drive the lead float in the needless-waste-appreciation parade. I mean the Navigator isn't ostentatious enough for you? After all, a Boxter or a Viper might just as effectively shout "the world is my oyster!" without so much emphasis on the "MY," and without adding the rather aggressive "and get out of my way (punk)!"

That enough mouth for you?:thumb

#12 ·
You guys crack me up. Some guy deserves a ticket just because of what he drives? And his vehicle should be vadalized because you don't like it? Nice.

BTW Planktonguy- If I catch you putting a bumper sticker on mine, we're going to have a serious problem.

Hugs and kisses, ZB

#13 ·
I am sure it does "drive like a dream," and you're correct, your friend can buy what ever the hell he wants. I just wish he/her, and the rest of the people that buy these vehicles, would have more consideration for the amount of resources they consume and pollution they generate. What does it get, 7 mpg? I am sure that is necessary for city driving. Oil doesn't grow on trees, friend, and its combustion by-products continue to slowly degrade our environment. Attitudes like your friends, and by the sounds of it yours, is the reason we cosume 25% of the Earth's resources but represent 5% of its population. Sorry for being passionate about something besides myself.

Cheers,

#15 ·
"...drives like a dream." You must be referring to the newer H2. Everyone knows the real Hummers drive like shiat (unless you happen to be driving across an open dessert with no roads). Those things are under powered, loud, gas hogs that don't fit in a regular parking spot and can't even handle most of the PNW jeep trails (to wide and crappy turning radius).

But if you are talking about the H2 - well, that's just a tahoe decked out for guys with small ____. You fill in the blanks.;) OK, just kidding, don't worry, i'd never attempt to vandalize someone's vehicle for any reason and I'd be right there with you smacking some sense into anyone I saw doing it. Keep the bumper stickers on your own cars (ps, where can I get one of those stickers??).

#17 ·
>i'd never attempt to vandalize someone's vehicle for
>any reason and I'd be right there with you smacking
>some sense into anyone I saw doing it. Keep the bumper
>stickers on your own cars (ps, where can I get one of
>those stickers??).

All right, all right. I lied. It wasn't a bumper sticker (so Kerry can put his 9mm back in his shoulder holster.) It was a freeway blog. See attached.

#19 ·
OR it might say "I'm a shrewd business person"

Because a Hummer weighs more than 6000 lbs, it is considered a "heavy" truck and qualifies for a business equipment tax deduction for the entire purchase price (up to $100k) if its used for your business. And under the new tax law, you can take the entire depreciation expense in the first year. So you fishing guides can go buy a $60,000 Hummer, take the entire amount as a depreciation expense and pay zero taxes on your first $60,000 in income this year (how much do you guides make anyway?) :thumb

I agree that people look a little silly driving around in those things, but they don't appear anywhere near as silly as the people who get their panties in such a bunch over it.

#21 ·
You're exactly right about that tax loophole on 'overweight' vehicles. Originally intended for agricultural vehicles, it also applies to Hummers, Suburbans, Excursions and other mega-rides that tip the scales at over 6K.

Problem is, what you save on taxes is offset by how much it costs to run the darned things and the teriffic inconvenience of driving such a large vehicle in an urban or suburban setting.

I read that the original Hummer is the widest passenger vehicle ever sold in the US. That's a small price for a 105 pound Bellevue Belle to drive to Bel Square where her ride takes up two parking spaces. But, hey, no door dings . . . !

Of course, if you can afford $50K for a car, then what's a little extra for gas, insurance and maintenance?

#22 ·
Oops, I too don't condone vandalism. I responded inappropriately and without a lot of forethought regarding my bumper sticker comment. I certainly don't want to create an army of vandals. I make sacrifices (live minimally, bike to work) with the quixotic optimism that I may make a difference, if by nothing else leading by example. Sorry for being so presumptuous about what others should do. Drive what you want.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.