Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Butter Stick review

465 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  GAT 
#1 ·
I tried my new Redington fiberglass 8 foot 5 weight Butter Stick today. I would have preferred a 4 weight but I need the extra length of the 5 weight because I primarily fish stillwaters from a pontoon boat.

I like the slow action of the new fiberglass rods and that is why I bought it. When it came to casting trout type flies, such as WBs, it performed as expected. Very smooooooth. I was targeting smallmouth in a reservoir and it handled one large baitfish pattern quite well. But when I tied on a secondary baitfish for a two fly presentation, it didn't like all that weight.

As a trout rod, I like it a lot. And as long as I'm casting a single heavy pattern, it also performs well.

But normally for smallmouth, I'll use two heavy patterns at once so I think I'll continue to use my Sage 4 weight when fishing for smallmouth with large patterns and use the Butter Stick when I'm after trout and using lighter weight flies.

For the price, I'm very happy with the rod.

The only problem I had was my own fault. I didn't get the tip section on tight enough and after casting heavy flies, I was messing around trying to untangle some line in the tip section and it came off while my reel and the remainder of the rod sunk in the lake. Fortunately, I was able to quickly retrieve the rest of the rod and reel before it sank beyond my reach.

Note to self... make sure to sufficiently secure the sections.

As far as the fighting characteristics, I don't have much to report. The recent rains dropped the temperature of the lake to a point where the bass didn't want to play the game. I only caught two fish and the largest may have gone 9-inches at the most. It wasn't a particular grand day for catching fish but I at least got to finally try out the new rod.

They are supposed to plant the lake with trout this month so I'll use the fiberglass rod for those guys and hopefully get an idea of how it works as a fighting rod.

These are only my impressions and as everyone has different castings styles, I can't say that everyone would like the rod but I do.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.