Can you fly fish with hookless flies in closed waters?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by CLO, Feb 3, 2014.

1. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

That's how I practice casting (w/yarn) in the yard, alley and local parks from time to time. Neighbors always ask if I am catching anything. I say kitties. Ours is a decidedly dog neighborhood. The birds like our yard a lot, maybe cause I feed them too.

I know Harry Lemire fished occasionally (for awhile at least) with clipped flies. No hook part. The grab was drug enough for him. But I'm not aware that he fished out of season. I doubt it.

2. Dan Page

Dan Page Active Member

Don't have the text at hand, but as I recall, your action cannot interfere or disturb fish in any way. So by that interpretation you could potentially be breaking the law. Would guess it would be the call of the officer.
    Please post if you get a statement from WDFW about this.
    I got cited on Ft. Lewis for doing this in a closed season, but was thrown out in court.

3. CLO

CLO It's not the fly, you suck.

I will just use a piece of yarn and no hook, everyone knows yarn doesn't catch fish.

4. Gary Thayer

Gary Thayer Member

My experience includes contacting the WDFW at Mill Creek; giving them information regarding intent to 'practice' casting at a certain time and place along with requested vehicle info (make, color, etc.) no problem. Perhaps my greatest worry has been the 'do gooder' who thinks he 'knows' and threatens property damage or what-ever. On one occasion, a WDFW officer stopped by, made a radio call to confirm my presence and then drove off.

GT

5. rockthief

rockthief Fly fishing = food for my soul

what if your line somehow snagged the fish around a fin or a gill plate?

6. Kyle Smith

Kyle Smith DBA BozoKlown406

Or you can fish open water with hooks. Go fish the beach and catch fish! It's hard to cast on a windy Puget Sound beach, should be great practice.

7. ScottP

ScottP Active Member

Fishing without a hook would be a pointless exercise.

Regards,
    Scott

Keith Hixson, Paul Huffman and Dipnet like this.
  8. Eyejuggler

Eyejuggler Beech Nut

Home Page:
    I always see folks practicing with their spey set ups at Wapato Lake in Tacoma which is a juvenile fishing only lake. I am sure being communicative and giving enforcement a heads up prior too would be reasonable.

9. CLO

CLO It's not the fly, you suck.

Is that an intentional pun?

dfl likes this.
  10. Dipnet

Dipnet The wanted posters say Tim Hartman

That seems to be true in Washington also. I looked up "fishing" in the Revised Code of Washington and found this:

RCW 77.080.010
    Definitions

(64) "To fish," "to harvest," and "to take," and their derivatives means an effort to kill, injure, harass, or catch a fish or shellfish.

11. ScottP

ScottP Active Member

yup

dfl and CLO like this.
  12. Cruik

Cruik Active Member

Unless solitude and driving are important to your practicing, there's a great casting dock on the northwest portion of Green Lake. I see that you live in Seattle.

13. Krusty

Krusty Krusty Old Effer

You'd be surprised at how thin those folks are on the ground...and how far they're often going end up driving to fool around with somebody playing a game. Maybe you're not going interrupt the capture of a poaching ring, but I suspect with a belligerant attitude you'll be cited for whatever the officer can come up with....maybe you can beat it in court, but you really don't want to waste a day doing that...plus achieving a place on their radar will get you more scrutiny than you might want.

LEO's have the very real world power to make your life miserable. Of course, you can always give him or her the tried and true "I pay your salary" lecture. They love it when you do that!

14. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

This is a cabin fever post.
    Fishing closed water means closed to fishing, hook or no hook.
    If I were the game guy I would give you a ticket, take your rod, truck and any thing else I could to make your life just as must of a waste of time that you caused me.
    Just my .02

Old Man likes this.
  15. Freestone

Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

When I called WDFW once to ask about it, they told me to always call before casting practice on closed waters or I risked the scenario above as the definition of fishing includes harassing fish so it is a judgement call on the part of the officer.