Can't keep um pinned

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Bagman, Aug 19, 2013.

1. John Weston

John Weston Member

I don't know what to tell ya. fly guys and gear heads are coming unhooked. I did see some gear heads set, reel in then set again and lose the fish. what the heck was that all about. I set just once and was keeping pressure on and still came unhooked. I fish with a 8' fly pole #7 and now using a 5 weight floater. my rod is slow and was having trouble casting a #7 line so went to a 5 and it's better. my rod is a 1973 dawia 8' #7 and doesn't like the new lines but like the 5. all is good. good luck.
    Outlaw

2. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

And I thought I was the only one having an "issue"! It's been frustrating for me. I have been using a "stinger" setup with the Miyawaki Popper. I think I still have a strip-set problem, but, I started tying tube setups to see if that helped. When I used it, I hooked up and landed a coho. Not sure if the stinger setup is the problem, but seems to me that "hinge effect" is not ideal when that coho takes and is spinning and thrashing when first hooked. I'm feeling that way. Don't know. Anyone have that same feeling/opinion?

3. Tacoma Red

Tacoma Red Active Member

It's evolution. The fish are getting smarter.

dryflylarry likes this.
  4. ten80

ten80 Active Member

wait for the fish to turn before strip setting when using a popper

dryflylarry likes this.
  5. Jason Rolfe

Jason Rolfe Wanderer

Jesus. I was bummed to miss/lose two this morning. 16 fish? You need to change something up man. Wear a sombrero next time or something.!

ten80 likes this.
  6. SciGuy

SciGuy Active Member

Exactly.

7. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

One word...Karma. Ed's got it and you need it. Give him a shout, I'm sure he'll send you some at little or no cost. And, whatever it is you've currently got, please keep it from spreading. :D

dryflylarry likes this.
  8. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

Eat a banana or something.:) I've lost three this year; one to a broken leader (10 lb.) It was a big fish. But that's the game. The fish are fiesty and you have to keep constant pressure on them. Sometimes I don't even try to get them on the reel. I just keep side pressure on them and strip when I get them turned toward me; the turn to the other side. It's quick. I don"t give them a chance so I can give them a chance if you get my drift.

9. John Weston

John Weston Member

did anybody do any good at BP today?
    Outlaw

10. Bagman

Bagman Active Member

No I don't have the strip set down yet. I do try and keep my rod pointed at the line at all times, but that is hard to do in the strong currants.

11. Bagman

Bagman Active Member

Thanks good advice from almost everyone. Sounds like it is not just me. Got to work on the strip set. I always check my hooks right after i pinch off the barb. I pull it over my nail before i put it in the vice. I will also get some Mustad c71 hooks. I've lost most of my fish with a nonstinger type fly. I'm now tying up some flys with a stinger. Ive only lost one Coho with a stringer hook and that was a nick in the stinger line. I use mostly #2 hooks but will us a # 4 on my smaller flys. I'm using the switch rod because I have a bad elbow. With the switch rod over head cast its a roll cast and a back cast pull in on the under hand and let it fly. I have fished the popper and have had a lot of fish follow, and boil but to date only one take. That was my first sea run.

12. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Bagman, keep stripping and keep the slack out, then the takes are often viscous and essentially take care of themselves. A few wise forum members taught me that I cannot strip faster than a coho hell bent on destroying my fly. I agree, you are finding them and that puts you one up. Managing line in the current will come in time. Are you using a stripping basket?

ten80 and Bagman like this.
  13. Bagman

Bagman Active Member

Yes Ed I'm using my home made stripping basket. When I started using the switch rod I had to make a few mods to the basket because I was sending out so much line. I was using wine corks in the bottom but they really started grabbing the line. I now have the bottoms of 6 plastic wine glasses hot glued to my corks. No more binding, no more grabbing. I have read over and over on this forum to strip fast. Yet I seem to get most of my takes on a slow strip. I do land a lot of bullheads but that price I'm willing to pay. I will just practice my strip set on bullheads. That should get me in the strip set habit.

14. Jason Rolfe

Jason Rolfe Wanderer

Yeah, I still haven't gotten the strip set down myself. Too much in the habit of lifting the rod. I've definitely missed a good handful of fish because of it--so you're not alone.

Rich Schager likes this.
  15. ten80

ten80 Active Member

I've tried a lot of stripping speeds, but always come back to a fast-paced, short-short-long strip that seems to put fish on my line when no fish are to be seen. I definitely agree with Ed that a fast strip will set itself on a fish. I also like to throw a flick into each strip, as if I was flicking water off my hand at the end of the strip.

Tony Abaloney and Ed Call like this.