CCAPNW

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Gertie's Pa, Aug 19, 2008.

1. Gertie's Pa

Gertie's Pa New Member

I'm thinking of joining the cca. I like their political posture and their results in some of the southern and eastern states, especially when it comes to the net bans they've initiated. My big concern is their connection to Valero. It appears Valero is a motivated player in conservation and community issues but I still see them as an oil company. I see big oil as a necessary evil for our present lifestyle but the move to get away from an oil-based economy is critical to our success as a country and a world. I feel enslaved by the big oil bastards each time I reach into my wallet whether I'm buying gas, paying my home energy bill or buying lunch. I'm having issues sending a membership fee to an apparently great group like the CCA when they're shaking hands with someone I consider the enemy. Your thoughts and feedback would be greatly appreciated.
    D.Nip:rofl::hmmm::beathead:

2. LD

LD Active Member

So do nothing and keep looking for the perfect organization like many people and you can tell you grandchildren about the few wild fish we had. Or pick a couple of the best organizations and make a difference. You may never find the perfect organization but timing is critical.....NOW. As a member you can also express your views and try to make it better. I joined last year. Seeing how passionate that Gary Loomis is and this is the group he picked to go to battle with speaks volumes to me.

3. Rialto

Rialto Member

I would consider Valero a “medium” oil bastard as they are a refining and marketing company and not involved with exploration and production. They buy crude oil on the wholesale market and refine it into various products. Their profit is largely determined by the “crack spread”, the difference in the cost of crude, whichever grade, and the price they can get for the refined products. If it makes you feel any better, while integrated “big” oil companies like Exxon Mobil and Chevron are seeing record profits, Valero is taking it in the shorts this year with both their earnings and stock price down over half.

4. doublespey

doublespey Steelhead-a-holic

From everything I've heard (and i've been to a number of meetings and a banquet), the local members decide on the issues and in conjunction with the legal weasels and national leaders decide which are highest priority and can be accomplished.

They'll "rub elbows" with whoever it takes to get the job done. I know the an East Coast chapter worked with our anti-environment President to get the Striped Bass declared a gamefish. That was a hugh win, as the commercials had really reduced the populations migrating the New England coast each year.

One comment I heard Gary Loomis make related to Democrat or Republican. He agreed that some politicians are "friends" of conservation and some are not. But his argument was that when you have the necessary votes and backing of key organizations in their jurisdiction, ALL politicians will fall in line whether they agree with you or not. The instinct for political survival is common to all. Apply the right leverage and they'll fall in line just like GWB.

My long-winded point is that I trust the intent of the organization - to improve the conditions for our Salmon and Steelhead so that more can make it back to the rivers to spawn. To promote protection of viable wild stocks and the environments that support them. Their 'specialty' is in making specific changes thru the legal/legislative system. If they can achieve their goals, I beyond caring who they need to cuddle up to to do it.

Just my .02,

Brian
    CCAPNW member

5. 509

509 New Member

Well, its not like Valero is Boeing. Think of a different ways for the world to end....will Valero be there or Boeing??

Judging companies on their environmental records is difficult because of the media bias and ignorance on environmental and scientific issues.

For example, Plum Creek LP has been portrayed as the Darth Vader on environmental issues. Ted Turner is one of the good guys.

Yet, Plum Creek has worked with the Nature Conservancy and other environmental groups to make sure that their best lands pass in public ownership and away from development. Ted Turner on the other hand, has announced that none of his lands (and he owns more "good land" than Plum Creek will pass into public ownership. You can imagine what those lands are going to look like after Turner passes on to his "reward".

I have found that a good way to judge a corporation is to see if they are affiliated with Ducks Unlimited or the Nature Conservancy. Those two organizations are more concerned about doing good than looking good. If a corporations rubs shoulders with those two groups they get the benefit of the doubt in my book.

You might even find Boeing there....but no matter how many indulgences they purchase I'm not sure I can forgive them for their environmental sins.

Corporations are like people, there are good ones and those that need to be saved.

6. martyg

martyg Active Member

Hey Brian - I looked on their web site and it looks like the local chapter is in Vancouver. It is one thing to write a check, and quite another to writea check and become engaged with the organization.

In your experience, who does one become active? Is there a large group in the Metro Seattle area? Maybe interest in a Seattle Chapter?

7. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Home Page:
    marty, I've heard they are supposed to be starting a pugetsound chapter, maybe Tacoma. I do believe there is one in Seattle/North Seattle already.

8. doublespey

doublespey Steelhead-a-holic

Yep, the one I attend (SnoKing Chapter) meets in the Woodinville area. There is also one in South Seattle (Seatac Chapter)that meets in Des Moines.

Each of the local chapters is very active in the larger goals of CCAPNW and would welcome your participation.

Tight Lines!

Brian

9. martyg

martyg Active Member

Thanks - I drilled down deeper and found more chapter info.

10. LG Mix

LG Mix New Member

Good read guys. Thanks

My thoughts and feedback: the world is an imperfect place. If we concentrate on making improvements rather than achieving perfection, we’re all better in the long run.
    -- Larry

11. Chris Bellows

Chris Bellows Your Preferred WFF Poster

i'm not concerned about valero, but about the position statements of ccapnw and the focus of the organization.... namely primarily harvest.
    http://www.ccapnw.org/ccawa-positions.pdf

seems to me the primary focus is on harvest. this is fine, and will likely be popular with their target audience, but will not imo bring about wild fish recovery. the position paper is pro-hatchery and the only habitat mention is putting hatchery carcasses in streams. they do propose pushing for higher escapement goals, which is a positive... but from my read, their focus is on harvest, harvest, harvest.

12. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

I'm still waiting for CCA to respond to my inquiry about a chapter in Kitsap County. I just can't see myself going to the King/Snohomish chapter or South Seattle. Both would require a lot of gas and ferry ride which just forces me to keep funding the big oil companies that are part of the ongoing problem. Anyway, CCA, if you are out there, I'm the guy that logged onto your site, hit "contact" and sent a message about a Kitsap chapter, I'm still here and I'm still interested.

13. Gertie's Pa

Gertie's Pa New Member

Thanks so much for your replies. When it comes to issues of conservation and trying to make a difference you guys really kick it up a notch. Your comments have been thought provoking and valuable. It's like trying to choose a political candidate. None of them fit perfectly. You just make your best choice and then watch them like a hawk.:thumb::ray1:

14. LD

LD Active Member

I live in Spokane and we do not have a local chapter. I have even recruited members from Montana as well. It seems that they are going through some growing pains, maybe growing faster than expected. So join, the more members in your area the faster you will get a chapter.

15. Josh

Josh dead in the water

Chapters don't just "happen" because people join. If you want a local chapter, someone needs to take the lead and become the person responsible in your area for organizing one.

Up here in Bellingham that person has been Jason Cross. He has busted his ass over the past 6 months to get people out to meetings, create the committees that are required, and worked hard at local events to get the word out about CCA. He is a dedicated guy who puts the rest of us lazy jerks in Bellingham to shame.

Short version: If you want a CCA chapter in your town, someone has to make one. CCA doesn't do it for you.