Cedar

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by montana_sam, Jun 4, 2013.

1. Stew McLeod

Stew McLeod aka BigMac

Thanks for the reply. I look forward to fishing my favorite spots when I get back to town.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

2. biker_dd

biker_dd Member

I got out on the Cedar last evening, found a few spots that were wadeable and found quite a few little fish like this guy. Had a couple bigger (10") ones that didn't stick around to get their pictures taken. Fished about 2 hours, caught a dozen or more fish between me and my buddy. Mine were all on nymphs, he had one take on a dry off the top. Lots of fish around, and the couple people we talked to in the parking lot all caught fish as well. Great night to be out, can't wait to do it again.
    BTW, that was the first time I used my new 3 wt, what a blast. IMG_1990.jpg

3. montana_sam

montana_sam Member

The big fish are in there, they rarely hit the surface. I have found big ones 16"+ from Maple Valley to Renton, usually holding deep.
    As for wading, I'm a pretty big guy so I don't run into to much trouble under 700. That being said I tore my MCL last year in water around 350.
    Pick your spots!

4. Jsly

Jsly Member

The wading can be tricky on the cedar there's lots of big rocks you have to navigate around n holes in the rocks you'll be cruise n along just fine n the boom u just dropped 2ft into a hole and don't let it's size fool ya the water can be really strong even in the shallows I've taken a swim more than once wading the cedar...as far as dry flys go I second the comment about the little guys hitting em seems like those little guys will hit pretty much anything I've been catching em on stims n big drys of all shapes n colors but the bigger fish are sub surface and your gonna have a better chance at them with a weighted big ugly I use a lot of grey n brown sculpins were trying bunny leeches today to try n bring a big guy up...headed out for our second day n just gonna continue out float from where we pulled out yesterday towards Renton...ill post pics if we find any good sized fish today....

5. Jsly

Jsly Member

Talk about a swing in the fishing yesterday was awesome on the upper section of the cedar above the maple valley market lots of little fish caught by both me and my brother n a cpl in the 15-18" range but today we put in at maple valley market n floated down to cedar grove rode n we both caught just one little fish each!! Lots of bumps n strikes but no takers n we thru everything at em drys stims leeches sculpins buggers streamers weighted streamers u name it we probably tried it...I don't remember a day when I went through as many flys as I did today trying to find a taker...water looked good n we found some really nice runs n deep pools but I don't know what the deal was...I think it was the water was just moving to fast in that section so fast that it was hard to get anything down deep on our 4 n 5w but top water wasn't working like it was up stream further for the little guys either...a lot of fishy looking water though...so like my grandpa used to say the fishing was good today but the catching wasn't!! Most spots were wadable but don't let the shallow water fool ya there's a lot of water coming down that section n it's strong I didn't go deeper than my waist n even that was a little sketchy...so sorry guys no pics today fishing was good n the float was nice but the catching stunk!!

6. Jsly

Jsly Member

Sorry bout the cig in my mouth makes me look like a redneck I meant to put it out before the pic but we were caught up in the excitement of the double hook up on some decent sized fish...it was a high five moment for sure!!

7. Mingo

Mingo the Menehune stole my beer

Biker-DD, glad you had a great day. Given that all trout must be released on the Cedar, it isn't a great idea to drag them up onto dry rocks to take a photo before you let 'em go. Those dry rocks do a really nasty job of scraping scales and protective slime off the trout's flesh. Just a friendly reminder......have fun out there!

wadin' boot likes this.
  8. Jsly

Jsly Member

I appreciate the comment but the fish we took pictures of were landed in soft nets and never left the water but for a few seconds to snap a photo...and I'm well aware of the catch and release, in fact I only fish catch and release unless its a salmon or steelhead I plan on eating...thanks for the friendly reminder though...We should handle these fish with a gentle hand and try and protect them as much as possible, this fishery is in rehab mode still.....

9. wadin' boot

wadin' boot Donny, you're out of your element...

Home Page:
    What Mingo said. That and the sound of fish hitting rocks brings out Gollum.

Eric Tarcha and Pat Lat like this.
  10. The Duke

The Duke Been around

Mingo's comment was a friendly reminder directed at Biker-DD who posted a picture of a fish on the rocks earlier in this thread. It looks to me like you did just fine. Nice fish!

11. Jsly

Jsly Member

I got that and apologizes to Mingo for my quick response...I try and keep the fish in the water even in the net and softly remove the barbless hook befor I turn them loose, a lot of times I don't even touch them I just grab my fly and slip it out gently and return them to the water by dunking my net and letting them swim away...If i get a fish I'd like a picture of the same process takes place the fish stays in the net and in the water and once the camera is ready I'll pic him up for a quick moment before I send him home...and I use a soft rubber net to reduce scaling and harm done to the fishes flesh, something i think should be required on a fishery like the cedar that is trying to come back, we need to keep those little fish as heathy as possible so they will continue to spawn and rebuild the fishery...

The Duke likes this.
  12. Lex

Lex Active Member

Dude. Love the smoke hanging out. That made the picture badass.

Jsly likes this.
  13. biker_dd

biker_dd Member

Rookie mistake. Message received. Thanks.

14. shadowcast

shadowcast Member

Wish I could figure out what I'm doing wrong on this river LOL. In fairness, I'm new to nymph fishing so that explains it--boy do I miss the dry fly action in Utah :(. I've been shocked at the size hooks these rainbows will take. Never caught anything larger than 8-10" fish on this river, but even they took #10-12s. I remember taking 18" browns on #20 PEDs lol. What sizes have worked for you?

tight lines everyone

15. streamers is shat I would use. Dead drifted with a san juan worm behind it in pink, red or yellow.

however I would never fish the Cedar because there is no fish in it