Centerpin rod/reel fly fishing.

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by fredaevans, Nov 8, 2009.

1. TomB

TomB Active Member

naw dude...bait fishing with a flyrod is the new fad...i rig gutted steelhead eggs in cheesecloth and nymph them out of the boat with my switchdicator and indobob...I hope to also do it this winter on the "OP"

2. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

If you haven't tried it, drift gillnetting in rivers takes a lot of skill, not to mention luck, but when you finally get the hang of it, it's really productive. Talk about numbers! Makes a person wonder why anyone would bother with fly fishing . . .

Sg

3. TomB

TomB Active Member

Salmo...i am quite interested in this new technique...is there a way one can attach a drift gill net to a flyrod so they may continue to 'flyfish'? If so, I think I may have found my calling.

4. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

TomB,

Attaching to a fly rod is quite possible, but I've found that fly casting the gillnet to be functionally impossible. But you can just sorta' shake the net out of the back of the boat, kinda' like shaking the fly line out in order to troll a fly in a lake. But it's really hard to argue with the numbers . . .

Sg

5. doublespey

doublespey Steelhead-a-holic

Tom - get a Skagit line. You can cast ~anything~ with that. Fully rigged cut-plug, spawn sacs under a boober, probably even a small driftnet.

Just remember the Sustained Anchor concept and let the driftnet sink a bit before you start your forward cast. :thumb:

6. Andrew Lawrence

Andrew Lawrence Active Member

I really enjoy using my center pin set up for certain applications on certain rivers. However, it is my opinion that there is nothing like the electric jolt that is felt when a steelhead hits your fly in mid-swing! Just my two-cents.

Regards,

Andrew

7. Tim Cottage

Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

Back these two up about 20 years each for a more accurate picture.

But then, that was pre-internet forum so how would anyone know how to fish? :rofl:

TC

8. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Humm, Charlie .... how cold is a 'cold day in hell??';)

Fred

9. Zack Dudley

Zack Dudley Take em'

NOTE that i dont no jack shit about centerpins like i pretty much stated, retard. Read the whole post before you say smart ass things.

10. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

iagree

Not to worry Sully, not to worry.:ray1: Only a few times/places I'd use this type of set up; couple of them on the Chetco River come to mind. Fairly narrow run, medium fast water against the wall 25'ish yards away and deeper than 'shxt' with the exception of very low water.

With a single hander and a 400 grain Tny Nymph head you can get down to where the fish are, but beyond that ... not a chance. Another one is 'Redwood' where the natural flow/bottom puts the holding water close to 140 feet away from you. The gear chuckers can get there/drift .... with (me) a spey rod ... not a chance in heck.

Couple of places on the Rogue below Grants Pass have slow deep runs and almost impossible to properly fish with a fly rod. With a center pin (even though it's a fairly short cast) may be just the ticket to properly cover this Salmon/Steelhead holding water.

fae

Edit: Ease up Zack, ease up fellow.:D

11. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Fred,

If we can't fly fish it, we call it conservation water. Not every square meter of a river has to be fished. Kinda' old school, I know.

Sg

12. Leopardbow

Leopardbow Member

I did some centerpin fishing for springers and coho in Tofino this year and nothing like feeling the fight minus all the flasher junk. Truely fly fishing in deep water. Was a thrill.

13. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Now that was funney Mr. G.

iagree

(Candidate above for "Quote of the Year??:thumb:)

I take your point as I went to the 'same school.'

Fred

14. Brazda

Brazda Fly Fishing guide "The Bogy House" Lodge

Home Page:
    Totally a bad ass way to fish steel, and not as easy as one may think if you do it true blue. The cast is very difficult, old timers in the 60's used a reel called a Wynona in a similar fashion but without the bobber ah,,,,float,,, sorry pin heads.

15. Brian Thomas

Brian Thomas Active Member

I think it takes more skill to land fish on a pin reel ,than any fly reel .

Depending on the reel , you may , or may not have a reel with a "drag"on it . Mine , a JW Youngs Purist does not . It does have a very weak clicker , but it won`t prevent an over-run if you slip up while fighting a fish . You learn , in a hurry , how to properly palm the reel .