Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

chilliwack area

797 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  papafsh 
#1 ·
I was planning to be in the chilliwack area the first week of oct. for a few days and am looking for suggestions or advice on is this a good time for steelhead and salmon.the map shows the vedder, harrison,and fraser, they should all have some fish in that time of year huh?? I'm going by myself and just plan on wading and hole jumping and I'd like to know if there is enough access to jump around and fish or do I need a boat or yet hire a guide.just looking to fish some different water for a change.if someone has some advice or suggestions I would welcome it .not looking for any secret spots just general infomation to save a few steps and more fishing time.thank you in advance.

#2 ·
I am not sure but I think the steelhead are closed at that time,The salmon will just be starting to come back in the Vedder at that time if not a week later,You can buy license and almost anything else you need at Freds custom tackle in chilliwack.There is alot of bank/hiking access on the vedder.Park at the lot by the vedder bridge and walk about 1/2 mile down the path ,hang a left and your fishing.
www.greatwhitehunters.com

#3 ·
The Chehalis River (not the one in S.W. Washington) is nearby, and also excellent for salmon in the autumn. Both rivers are too small for boating. On the Vedder, much of the river's best access is several miles downstream from Chilliwack. From the Transcanada Hwy., take Exit 116 and go south on the Lickman Road for several miles until it reaches the river at one of the primary accesses. From there, take the gravel diketop road downstream for a mile or two to other popular accesses.

#4 ·
You won't find steelies in the Vedder in early October, but the coho and white spring numbers should be reasonable by then. If you fish the lower part of the river be prepared for combat conditions. The middle and upper sections will give you lots of space as they don't get any pressure from the meat fishing wannabees that haunt the lower river--be careful where you wade. It can be pretty deadly in the wrong spots. Stop at Fred's tackle in Vedder Crossing and pick up a river map along with your license.

For when sleeping I dream of big fish and strong fights.Tacitus

#5 ·
The Vedder in Oct. is known for it's run of Coho & White Kings. It is also known for the combat situation on the lower river, not pretty.

My sons and I have fished it a number of times over the years. Access is very good, but do be careful wading. There should also be a number of Pinks but don't waste your time on them.

If you should happen to hook into one of those Kings, you better have at least a 9wt and LOT'S of backing! I was there a couple of years ago when my 9wt, with 150yds of 20lb backing, was spooled in about 30 seconds by one of those monsters! OUCH! can you say brused knuckles?

To catch more fish concentrate on fast/slow water seams, or fast riffles and if you find a good spot away from the crowd (easy to do the snaggers don't like to be more than 30ft away from the road) stay there because the fish will come by sooner or later.

LB

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.