NFR $*ck You USPS

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Evan Virnoche, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Blake Harmon

Blake Harmon Active Member

insurance every time. its like 4$

2. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

The problem is not exclusive to the USPS. I've sent and received items damaged during shipping via UPS and FedEx. If anything, I've had better luck sending items via USPS than UPS.

When I consider all that I order via the Internet, very little is damaged during shipping. However, for some reason, when I send something to someone it doesn't always arrive as sent.

Sometimes I wonder if they are looking at the package for drugs or bombs or whatever and damage the goods while doing so. Perhaps packages sent from private individuals to private individuals go through a different scanning process than something sent from Amazon.

3. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Home Page:
    Usually the shippers themselves are trained to pack. People really don't know how to pack well. Only a few have what it takes to pack properly (and trust me, I know people who've made some wild claims of the amount they've shipped and have all the knowledge that can't pack to save their lives). Most vendors are damned good at packing. BUT, I know a few big named companies that are VERY bad about their packages. If there's movement in box, if box has slop (as in, if you can press on the sides and it easily moves in), or you have too heavy of an item in a box, it'll most likely get damaged. Or better yet the box may be destroyed. Like I said, and this has held true, almost everytime the damage is caused by the person packing it. I've inspected more then my share of damages, and when I've seen how they were packed they were packed wrong. The best one I ever saw was a package being sent to themselves (bought it on vacation and sent it home to themselves). They raised hell when I went to inspect package (damage claim). Again, heard story how they used to own some big outfit that shipped UPS all the time and they KNEW how to pack properly. Nope, wasn't packed well at all. Product inside was damaged, but if it was properly packaged it would have made it there easily.

4. Brady Burmeister

Brady Burmeister Active Member

Jerry, is just a rod tube and sock wrapped in shipping paper not good enough for shipping?

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  5. DanielOcean

DanielOcean Steelhead Virgin

Inspires me to do only face to face sales when it comes to this rod buying/selling stuff.

Stew McLeod and Ron McNeal like this.
  6. Steve Call

Steve Call Active Member

Second Jerry's comment on rod tubes not protecting rods from damage if dropped on end. Most have little or no padding on the ends. Or, if the do, there is still room for the rod to slide top to bottom. The best rod tube I own is for my GLoomis Streamdance. It has about a inch of foam on the top and bottom and you have to gently push the rod (in the rod sock) into the foam in order to screw on the top lid. Totally secure.

Bummer that your rod was damaged. Hope the warranty will cover it.

7. Fishee

Fishee Active Member

i'd buy insurance anything worth more than $100.00. It may cost me 5 bucks more, but is good to have when shit like this happens.

8. S Fontinalis

S Fontinalis Active Member

USPS has priority flat rate shipping tubes - they're actually triangular boxes, they're free (with the priority shipping service) you just have to ask for them at the counter.. I"ve shipped rods in them, from cheap redingtons to custom Kabutos, of course within their own tubes.

9. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Home Page:
    Not always. Having the right components isn't the key is HOW you assemble them

10. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Active Member

I don't know about your location, but these triangular boxes have been discontinued by the PO here.

11. DanielOcean

You most likely packaged your rod better than manufacturers package there own rods. I call bull shit on this whole thing. If it were me. I would remove my financial information off of PayPal, OR if you can not do that because pay pal has already locked that up, go to your bank, and close that account and simply reopen a different account with a new number. Also when you close that account tell them that it is due to possible fraud and you want all debits, and credits blocked on it. I would fight this hard.

12. DanielOcean

Shoot, double post.

13. Codioos

Codioos Active Member

What a nightmare. I've sold many rods without this happening, and now I see how fortunate I've been. Thank you, rod warranty.
    And again, Will Rogers hits the nail on the head.

14. Yard Sale

Yard Sale Huge Member

Priority mail now has automatic insurance. I want to say its like $150 or so. Might want to check it out.

15. bigdood

bigdood fishing hack

Home Page:
    Union jobs...the cream rises to the bottom

JesseC likes this.