Click Pawl or Disk Drag?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by LCnSac, Aug 19, 2014.

1. stilly stalker

stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

Nautilus reels FTW- I'll never look back

golfman44 likes this.
  2. typhoon

typhoon I fish

Islander IR4LA. Sing to me my precious.

3. DanielOcean

DanielOcean Steelhead Virgin

Disk drag this blah blah blah. I havent caught one steelhead yet that has ever tested my marquis. PFFFT.

Steve Unwin likes this.
  4. LCnSac

LCnSac John or "LC"

Home Page:
    Galvan Torques for me for the 6-7 wt. DDs, my old Battenkills for the lighter lines.

5. underachiever

underachiever !

It all works. I like clickers because I find it fun to fight a fish on one and they're far more affordable. I like the sound too.

6. Randall Clark

Randall Clark Active Member

Spring/pawl all the way...Until I meet a steelhead that can blow up my Young's Beaudex, I'm not changing (highly unlikely)...Although I DO hang a Medalist off of one of my trout rods, so I might be a dunderhead, but that's unlikely as well.

This is all assuming freshwater only. I have disc drags for my saltwater setups (I just can't bring myself to basically sacrifice one of my Youngs for use as a surf perch reel--although I do have an old beat up Pridex that would do the job).

7. LCnSac

LCnSac John or "LC"

Home Page:
    One thing we can probably all agree on is that if you choose a disk drag, get a good one. I'd rather have a reel with no drag than one with a crappy disk drive. My Galvans are complete overkill, but they're phenomenal reels with wonderful drags and I just admire them. That counts for something to me.

8. Skysoldier

Skysoldier Trout Hunter

I feel the same about my Bauers, they are overkill for much of the fishing I do but they are phenomenal reels and a real joy to fish. For the record I own and fish both clickers and disk reels, I enjoy using each and have no plans of dropping either type.

LCnSac likes this.
  9. highangle

highangle I've got blisters on me fingers.

Pretty sure it was Lefty who said a reel is just something to store your line on. Fish em if you've got em!

10. Brian Thomas

Brian Thomas Active Member

I always feel a little dirty when I use a reel with a disk drag .

Salmo_g and Chris Johnson like this.
  11. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

You can always fish a disk drag reel on its lightest setting. I have numerous Ross Gunnison reels that have a nice disk drag but I nearly always have the reels set very lightly, only to prevent overruns of the spool. I do however fish with a Tibor Gulfstream that would stop a truck if necessary. It is always set light and then tightened up as necessary. The key to catching a truly "big" fish is to allow it to run itself into fatigue by pulling on the light setting, absorbing the weight of the line that's out, and the friction of the guides on the rod. A sailfish will pull out several hundred yards of backing and jump numerous times before it tires but to get one in you don't need a heavy drag, just patience and then the "know how" to revive and release it successfully.​

12. golfman44

golfman44 4-Time Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year

This is really all that needed to be said in this thread. Feel free to close it now

Give me the best drag on the planet 6 days a week and twice on Sunday. Not to mention it's made in the USA.

For trout fishing a clicker would be fine

Drifter likes this.
  13. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

All of my reels are click and pawl reels, (just for Salmo-g):) and I am addicted to the sound of the reel screams.

That said, I have been flyfishing since 1967, can say that I have only had one fish over load my reel. I have lost fish on numerous occasions but mostly to my inattention or lack of skill.

The one that did me in, and I will ALWAYS REMEMBER, is a steelhead that hit my fly, on the Babine river in BC. I have never heard a reel scream like that and I had no way to slow it down. The fish headed back to salt water tailwaking down the river, and took all of my line that it could get, until the leader parted some yards downstream.
    To say that I was shaken would not be to do it justice. I will always remember that fish, and hope that it lived to breed and produce more carbon copies.

golfman44 likes this.
  14. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

One thing to consider is a disk drag with free spooling in "silent retrieve" I have been steelheading the last 5 days out of my drifter with friends switching from flies under indi's and bobbers to bait in stillwaters above bonni. One thing about steelheading or large trout fishing out of a boat is all the line you can have on the deck or in your lap when hooking a nice fish, the first steelhead I hooked 5 days ago I started slapping my reel spool fast to pick up the line that lay in my lap (I always sit down while fishing (stillwater steel - relaxing) So, my nautilus wouldn't free spool the line up fast like my East fork 7/8 does! (which i left at home-yikes)Getting that line off my lap or floor or deck is the most important thing while fishing out of my drifter, trying to reel with the handle and keep up with rocketing steel can be a pain and lose you fish. Being able to slap a free-spooling spool is quick and easy to get the line on the reel, even when you have to strip in on a charging fish from 20 yards away when he stops you just slap the spool and all the line is picked up and on the reel again!

In the last 5 days my friends and I have landed around 30 steelhead out of my drifter, most on bait but every morning I use flies and hook a couple for the fun and than move around to find more willing fish and use bait to cover bigger areas then when I'm targeting them with flies. If more of my friends fly fished I would stick to the flies and hook around 5 a morning on average. Also from this month to next month I will spend at least 35 to 40 days on the water for steelhead and salmon and if it was anything like last year 2 or 3 fish before noon is a very slow day. The last three days I hooked and played (not always landed) at least 3 steelhead a day on flies (we landed 15 in three days all together) so I get to test these techniques more than most. But just my opinion from a fucking dunderhead! But than I like knocking better than thou's off their high thrones, use what you like and gets the job done for you! Leave the - bad mouthing - better than thou - bull-shit for the teenage forums----JIMO!

Proof, and few shots of my friends keepers! I had a few shots of me releasing fish caught on the fly but my buddy wasn't pressing my camera button hard enough to get the picks.

And yes when hooking so many fish - rods can get broken! The flies I tie for this fishing take me at least 20 minutes a piece to tie so I'm not to fond of giving them to line ripping - jumping - screaming steelhead on a single hand 6 wt (RPL) or MY 8 WT (rivermaster orvis superfine throwing a 6 wt. nymph line) Last year in these fisheries the biggest I hooked on the fly was well over 20 pounds and it still has my fly! The B runs are starting to come in now and will til the end of Sept........You will find me on the water for the next month and a half - OH and indicator fishing is not fly fishing, and "I COULDN'T GIVE A FUCK"!!! And Here's some hero shots of the chrome you all hate!

2014 summer steelhead 003.jpg 2014 summer steelhead 004.jpg 2014 summer steelhead 005.jpg 2014 summer steelhead 010.jpg 2014 summer steelhead 007.jpg 2014 summer steelhead 011.jpg 2014 summer steelhead 017.jpg

15. LCnSac

LCnSac John or "LC"

Home Page:
    Beautiful fish! Your steehead fishing is so much better than ours.

Drifter, have you considered using a stripping basket? I have three, all inexpensive.

1--a William Joseph retractable, worn around the waist that pops out when needed. $30 or so

2--a fabric collapsable laundry tub from Target, $10. I cut a piece of plywood and glued in doweling to drop in the bottom to keep the line from tangling. I use this when I'm standing up.

3. A plastic laundry basket about 15" tall from Dollar Tree. I use that when I'm sitting down.