Columbia River Shad?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by aplTyler, May 13, 2013.

1. suckegg

suckegg Active Member

The image of Evan holding the doomed shad and his 666 rating might be a sign for some... :eek:

2. Slipstream

Slipstream Active Member

As I replied last year, "There goes the neighborhood!"

3. David Dalan

David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Seams along the bank, below large concrete river barriers.

4. Luke77

Luke77 I hope she likes whitefish

shirtless is the only way to roll on that bank....anything else and you just don't fit in!

5. Alosa

Alosa Active Member

Craig Haskell (USGS) just published a paper in the Transactions of the American Fisheries Society which demonstrated that the feeding of abudant juvenile shad in the John Day Reservoir is responsible for the seasonal decline of both the size and number of Daphnia, which are an important dietary component of sub-yearling chinook.

Yeah Seth Green introduced them to the Sacramento River in 1871, and they were first observed in the Columbia by 1876. I wrote a couple articles on this, so if any wants them PM me with your email address and I'll pass them along.

Paul Huffman and Klickrolf like this.
  6. Klickrolf

Klickrolf Active Member

Interesting, I'm not aware of much chinook spawning in the John Day Pool/Reservoir so I wouldn't consider it rearing habitat. Wouldn't most juvenile chinook in this area be passing through as smolts? Are juvenile shad consuming enough Daphnia to reduce chinook smolt survival? If so shad, as an invasive species, should be eradicated...though I'd like to catch a few before eradication commences.

7. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Are shad good eating?

8. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

On the East Coast, they are very popular as a menu item... over here... not so much. Some folks smoke them but as we all know, you can smoke an old wading boot and it will taste okay. I catch and release them for fun. The crab folks keep them for crab bait.

FinLuver likes this.
  9. Blake Harmon

Blake Harmon Active Member

People keep them for sturgeon bait as well. We pickled them and they were decent. I probably wouldnt keep them again, they were alot of work to descale and such. But they sure are fun on a fly. Its a early morning game.

10. Flyborg

Flyborg Active Member

They taste incredible, but getting past the bones is a bitch.

11. Luke77

Luke77 I hope she likes whitefish

We smoke them, pressure cook, and can them so you don't have to worry about the bones. Then we make a smoked fish cracker dip out of them.

You wouldn't even know it was shad.

FinLuver likes this.
  12. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

I do the same thing with PEEEEEEEOOOOOPLLLLEEEEEE!

13. Jim Kerr

Jim Kerr Active Member

This is turning into a very classy thread.

14. Shad

Shad Active Member

Haven't eaten any of my namesake, but I can tell you that you'll not find a better bait fish. Once or twice a season, I whore a ride with a friend to fish Grays Harbor during the salmon opener. Sometimes, we incidentally catch shad that are barely larger than the herring we troll. Each time, a cut plug rigging of one of those has been converted into a (carefully released) chinook in short order. Same deal at Buoy 10 (although those URBs are released into the fish box).

"Poor man's tarpon" is an apt name for shad. Their sides are adorned with the biggest, shiniest scales you'll find, and I think that's what makes them so effective. An added bonus (if you're like me and hate re-baiting herring all the time) is the hard bone that runs along their bellies. It keeps them intact through the many bumps along the bottom that occur when you're fishing right.

Blake Harmon and aplTyler like this.
  15. Alosa

Alosa Active Member

You're a funny guy. Do you have any idea of the magnitude of the shad spawning run on the Columbia? Think MILLIONS, and that's just what gets counted at Bonneville. Preliminary tagging data suggests that only about one half of the spawning run actually ascends Bonneville Dam to continue upriver. The other half find suitable spawning habitat below. Eradication would be a huge waste of money...it rarely ever works.