Confused on fly rod sizes

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Akuriko, Apr 1, 2014.

1. John Wallace

John Wallace Active Member

I don't think there is one rod that can do it all. The size of the stream, wind, and are the bushes tall, small on the ground. I have a 2wt and 4wt. One is 7ft other is 7'6". I am going to get a 6foot. Also depends on the size fly I am going to be using. I do fish fiberglass rods and I think with them you can go a line or two, up or down and the rod still will cast well. With graphite is believe it is harder.

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  2. Akuriko

Akuriko Member

Thank you for that info it makes total sense. :)

3. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

John's exactly right for the same reason that there isn't just one golf club that does it all.

If all you did was fish a single spot, then yes, there's probably no need to buy other rods.

But if you fish big Western rivers for anadromous fish, small streams for trout, beaver ponds and lakes for spiny rays, and salt water for SRCs or bonefish, you're gonna need one or more rods for each of those situations. Plus, each one of those rods will need a matching reel along with several spools to hold different types of line.

A single rod is just the thin end of the wedge that ends up separating you from your money.

K

4. Akuriko

Akuriko Member

For me i am fishing for mostly trout, and steelhead and salmon, we have bass small and large problem is they come up in our lakes in the summer time only.

5. John Wallace

Old days we all used an 8" 5 or 6wt for everything.

dfl and Jim Darden like this.
  6. Akuriko

Akuriko Member

when did they start make a heavier rod then 6wt?

7. Randall Clark

Randall Clark Active Member

I'm always skeptical of anyone (fly shop, Orvis book, internet, street corner, wherever) that uses the term "best" or tries to tell me what I'm supposed to enjoy doing and the way I'm supposed to enjoy doing it...but that's just me.

...not to be confused with "most effective method" or fly...

Old Man likes this.
  8. Eric Denny

Eric Denny Summer is over but I'm still fishing!!

Well I would like to meet up at some point this summer if you are just trying to meet some ppl off the forum! I am wanting to hit MT a few times this summer. So if that was part of your meaning Kyle PM and we can tal.

9. Akuriko

Akuriko Member

Orvis does have some good books out there. :)

10. Nooksack Mac

Nooksack Mac Active Member

Lots of good advice here --with resultant confusion. A lot of the pleasure of fly fishing, for me, is using tackle that's perfect for the present situation. Unless you have a caddy following you around with a bag of rods (and I've never seen that), sometimes you won't have the optimum tackle, and you'll have to make adjustments.

Sub-8 foot rods belong on smaller streams. Last year I was fishing down the little Twisp River, doing just fine with a 7 1/2' 4-weight. I could roll cast two nymphs across the stream. For weights, 3-weight is the lightest I use, except an occasional situation with a 2-weight: knee-deep, gin-clear water under bright sunshine. I love 8 1/2' 4- and 5-weights for general stream fishing. A 9' or 9 1/2' 6- or 7-weight for big trout in bigger streams.

11. Randall Clark

Randall Clark Active Member

can't argue with that...I started out reading up on those and the LL Bean ones, etc...

once you figure out what works the best for YOU though, you'll know exactly what I mean...

It's kind of like when you see a post on here (or anywhere for that matter) asking what the best 5wt is? The first ten responses will give you ten different answers...individual differences, part of what makes it an interesting sport. Different approaches to the same question all of which are right.

12. Akuriko

Akuriko Member

Agreed, most people when i asked what to start with pointed me to the redington classic trout series, good rod, :) i read like 45 books on fishing and cant get enough yet i could never understand till the post on the fly line and weights of the rods. most people say in books get a 7 to 8.5 and be done with it.

as for small streams never fished one yet, i only got a creek and a ton of lakes where i am at, i can get to the yakima river and wenatchee river.

as for fly rods i have noticed it seems 0-1 wt rods is mostly from orvis.

13. Kyle Smith

Kyle Smith DBA BozoKlown406

7 weight for everything? Maybe with an old fiberglass rod, way less powerful than a modern graphite 7wt.
    A 5 weight is a good only rod for a trout fisherman. In my experience a 5 does everything good enough.
    Check you regulations for the Wenatchee, pretty sure they are protecting some fish up there.

14. Red Arch

Red Arch Active Member

I personally like a 6 wt for an all purpose rod.

You have the ability to throw dry flies, nymph rigs, fish lakes, throw streamers (not half chickens or heavy ones but it will still work) and if the wind picks up that certainly helps.

However I am considering a 5wt GVX for a true Trout rod. I will probably keep that baby away from boats, car doors, tree branches, etc...should I pick one up at some point.

15. John Wallace

I am getting an 8'6" 6wt fiberglass for my all around fly fishing needs. Can't wait. And just got a bamboo 7' 4wt for small streams.