Custom ultra light float tube

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Rory McMahon, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Thom Collins

Thom Collins Active Member

Very well done sir! That would look lovely in my underseat compartment next to my "just in case" rod, waders and gear bag when not all snug in my pack made upon the trail.

2. SHigSpeed

SHigSpeed Active Member

Okay, I think it's ready for the pool or pond!

I trimmed the extra fabric and I'm flabbergasted by how much weight and bulk I was able to lose!

[​IMG]

WELL under the magic 2 pound barrier! The lunker high mountain trout will weigh more than the boat! :)

And check out the tidy package!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This'll hardly take up any space in a pack. Stoked...

Details...

Valve leashes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Spread limiter (and what you might want to stake the boat down with - it'll fly away at the lightest of breezes!):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the cockpit!:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One thing I noticed that just in the few minutes I was outside taking these photos the boat got very "ping tight"! Rang like a drum. Must be careful to monitor the pressure... Wish there was an easy and light blowoff valve, but I did the calcs and it should be able to take any sun heating pressure increase easily. Still, you can understand my trepidation... ;)

_SHig

Blue likes this.
  3. JohnB

JohnB Active Member

That is awesome. I'm shocked how light and non bulky it is. I only glanced through the last couple pages but what is your strategy for waders and fins? Do you skip waders and just wear booties?

4. SHigSpeed

SHigSpeed Active Member

I'm making some waders from the same material. Should weigh about 8 ounces. I'll wear neoprene booties over these. Also working on a pair of fins made from aluminum, carbon fiber spars, and fabric webbing. Another pound or so.

:)

_SHig

5. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

SHig,

Outstanding! Time for a shakedown cruise and then your patent application. Just think, you'll be president, CEO, CFO, right down to janitor as you become the titan of the ultra-light float tube universe! Congratulations on your project. It's fun to see the germ of a thought taken through development and final success.

Sg

6. SHigSpeed

SHigSpeed Active Member

I went down to my local "pond" to test out the new boat. I did my best to try to fall out and I failed. I inflated it on shore then hopped in and it immediately tempered - lost pressure due to cooling down. In this less than tight state it was a bit wobbly with how high I sit. Felt a bit like balancing on a ball side to side. Front to back was fine. A quick few breaths to tighten the skin and back in the drink.

MUCH better. Definitely not as solid feeling as my Fish Cat but that's to be expected because of the way the seat is attached to the "U". It does allow some roll, but I think it won't be hard to get used to. Feels kinda like sitting in a canoe or kayak, especially at first when the pressure dropped. Still, no risk of actually barrel rolling.

I'm WAY out of the water - probably A good 3", pretty much what I had designed for. I can make do with pants waders, no chest waders required.

Anyway, photos:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I made some fly casting motions while I was at it and it was a no-drama affair - not that I had expected any.

I'll have to take my gear next time I hit the "pond". ;)

_SHig

7. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Are there any trout in that there pond?

Looks like an excellent fishing platform you have there! Looks like comfort and effectiveness will exceed the Curtis high lake raft. Congratulations!

Sg

SHigSpeed and Kent Lufkin like this.
  8. Peyton00

Peyton00 Active Member

I would be upset if you didn't market this vessel. BRAVO!

SHigSpeed likes this.
  9. SHigSpeed

SHigSpeed Active Member

Trout, lol!

I actually got a lot of advice from the man Curtis himself. Have to give him credit for sharing his tips and tricks of working with this material. It was cool to be able to bounce ideas off of him.

I've been trying to get a hold of Del Canty with no luck. Anyone know him personally?

_SHig

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  10. Bill Aubrey

Bill Aubrey Active Member

I like it. I want one.

11. jwg

jwg Active Member

Did you say what specific fabric you were using? I may have missed it in this long thread.

Was it a heat sealable fabric from Seattle fabrics?

Jay

12. SHigSpeed

SHigSpeed Active Member

Some of the materials were from Seattle Fabrics. I also have used materials that I managed to get directly from manufacturers and distributors as well.

Basically I've used what I could get my hands on. :)

_SHig

13. Dipnet

Dipnet The wanted posters say Tim Hartman

I just recently found and read through this thread and have been thoroughly impressed with the development of this ultralight tube and all that SHigSpeed has gone through in the process.

You, sir, are the da Vinci of float tubes! Major props! :)

14. rory

rory Go Outside

Home Page:
    When can we buy one?

15. SHigSpeed

SHigSpeed Active Member

So many anxious people! Lol...

I'm still in the process of testing and I still have a few tweaks that I'd lke to try. Only once I'm satisfied with it will I consider making tubes for other wackos like myself. ;)

In the meantime please PM me if you are interested so I can contact you when the time comes.

For now, watch this space for updates.

_SHig