Dave Scadden vs Watermaster

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Steezn290, Mar 12, 2013.

?

Which Boat is better?

Poll closed Apr 23, 2013.
  1. Watermaster Kodiak

62.9%
  2. Dave Scadden Rampage

37.1%
  1. John Read

John Read Member

I have been fishing Water Masters for over 20 years. My first was one of the original versions manufactured in New Zealand and finished in the states. My second is a Kodiak which I've had for a least 10 years. By the way the first boat is still usable by visitors. I have never felt unsafe in either boat and have gone through water as rough as my backbone would let me.

Over the years, one of the problems I have seen with open front boats, is straddling rocks and getting stuck. The closed front boats just bounce off. If you are not paying attention you can hang a pontoon tip on a snag.

One issue I have with the Water Master, which I see is the same in the Scadden frame less, is the oarlock system. These are inherently dangerous compared to the standard breakaways on framed boats. I have broken oars by inadvertently dropping a down stream oar and catching it on the bottom. Something has to give. A good friend of mine actually flipped his WM because of this. That being said, it pays to be constantly alert on the river.

As a point of reference, I mainly float the St. Joe in Northern Idaho, some on the Clark Fork and many lakes in eastern and central Washington.

2. Golden Trout

Golden Trout Active Member

Does the Assault have a full floor?

3. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:
    No.
    [​IMG]

4. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

The coolest feature of any rowing craft for rivers or lakes, for me, is the Fred flintstone open floor. Use fins, stand to fish, stand to lift boat in really shallow water. Works well for my scadden assault and NRE framed 14' cataract. I can't really imagine having a boat without this capability or option. Lots of great rafts and drift boats. I like my cat, assault and other similar boats.

Bill Aubrey and Dave Boyle like this.
  5. Dave Boyle

Dave Boyle Active Member

"the Fred flintstone open floor", you bastard Ed, you made me lose some beer. I've never thought of describing my grizzly in that way but it's the perfect description for this type of craft.

Dave

Bill Aubrey likes this.
  6. Wayne Kohan

Wayne Kohan fish-ician

I will say the open floor is less fun when drifting a river in class 2-3 rapids, kinda wet.

Wayne

7. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:
    And a raft 8' long with a floor will keep you dry in class 2 and 3? Of course it would depend on the time of year though...LOL

Bill Aubrey likes this.
  8. hydrological

hydrological beads are NOT flies and snagging is just ghetto

replace your freinds, not your boat. going from a drift boat to a frameless toon, you loose alot of the power from your stroke flexing the soft tube. a rigid oarlock as on a frame transfers alot more of your stroke power. either way, just like a driftboat, good oars make a huge difference.

9. Golden Trout

Golden Trout Active Member

10. Bill Aubrey

Bill Aubrey Active Member

Hell, Ed, Dave and WM need to use your term in their advertising. Love it.BUT... Question--how do you get coffee off your screen?

11. Gregg Lundgren

Gregg Lundgren Now fishing on weekdays too!

Many inflatable manufacturers are rather vague regarding the target air pressure for inflating their boats. It has been suggested that when they do make a recommendation, they often low ball it. It kind of makes sense due to liability issues, customers pulling the boat out of cold water on a hot sunny day, or transporting it to higher altitudes. In addition, most folks would rather under-inflate than over-inflate when they don't have a pressure gage available. Therefore, many times they substantially under-inflate. Sometimes they launch from warm air into cold water, and don't top-off achieving the same result.

One watercraft website I visited, suggested that there is quite an improvement in the stroke power achieved when the tubes are inflated to 4 psi vs. the typical 2 to 3 psi. One poster even claimed a manufacturer/owner cited a higher inflation rate in order for their frame-less to be fairly compared to rowing a boat with a frame.

I might do some conservative testing for this. I wouldn't inflate beyond 4.5 psi. Undoubtedly, there is a sweet spot somewhere between a soft tube, and one that is inflated to be approaching rock hard(within reason). Perhaps some of us have unintentionally discovered these differences. Seems like simple physics to a certain extent?

12. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:
    I know NFO's are pressure test higher than what people inflate them too. We do inflate to at least three. And we use the Gauge so both sides are the same, which makes a difference too.

13. Bill Aubrey

Bill Aubrey Active Member

I always inflate until hard and when it gets harder to push the K Pump and have never had any issues.

14. pdev

pdev Salmon On the Fly

I have had great service so far.

15. pdev

pdev Salmon On the Fly

I agree. I have had great service with NFO so far.