Dave Scadden vs Watermaster

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Steezn290, Mar 12, 2013.

?

Which Boat is better?

Poll closed Apr 23, 2013.
  1. Watermaster Kodiak

62.9%
  2. Dave Scadden Rampage

37.1%
  1. Steezn290

Steezn290 Member

Hydrological- The main reason I was planning on switching was because I wanted to save money. I'm saving over $750 a year in storage costs, $300 a year in car insurance, and I'm saving hundreds upon hundreds of dollars in gas by selling my truck and getting a more fuel efficient car. Plus I get to fish the entire time and don't have to trust someone else to row my $6000 boat. Plus replacing friends isn't and option for me :)

Anyways, here is an update for of what I decided. I purchased 2 Water Masters and so far have had an amazing experience not only in fishing them but with the customer service. I had an awesome still water month in April and have been fishing rivers since then.

Just to quickly speak about Water Masters customer service. I purchased a pair of heavy duty oars and a seat bracket from Water Master. When one of the oars became sticky. It just wouldn't go together or pull apart like my other one. So I called up Rich (from water master) and he sent a new pair of oars my way. He then told me to send the others back when I had the chance. I failed to send them back for over a month. I called him to make another order for a seat bracket for my other boat and he casual asked me if I had sent the oar. I apologize because I hadn't and said I would send them out right away. It still took me a week to get them out, but he immediately shipped the other seat bracket to me before he even got his oar back. It shocked me when I saw the package show up on the door. It is honestly water master goal to keep each and every customer happy with the products they sell.

Now to what I think of the boat. I fished in the Water Master on a river more than 10 times now and those heavy duty oars I purchased get ZERO use. I constantly have my fins in the water and I'm making casts with big terrestrials to the bank. The fact that I can fish the entire day and not have to row for someone else amazes me....IF YOU UNDERSTAND HOW TO READ WATER AND DON'T GET CAUGHT ON THE OUTSIDE DURING RUNOFF THIS BOAT HANDLES RIVERS LIKE A CHAMP! <This is super important for everyone who doesn't understand how to read water.... Go learn in a drift boat or raft before heading out to a river during high water in a kick boat or pontoon boat. At the very least follow someone down river who knows what they are doing. If you get too confident, you can get way over your head and risk killing yourself. (this is obviously just my opinion... but I hear stories and have rowed up on a flipped boat where people have died after making a mistake...) The fact is that currents do push you around more in a smaller boat, but planning ahead of time and moving to safer water makes all of the problems with these small boats go away. If you are SMART and truly think about what you are doing while on the river (as a beginner) the boats are just as safe as a raft or drift boat. If your experienced these boats open a whole new bag of water that you can float safely, but keep all the big rivers you float now in your drift boat or raft still possible. I have yet to regret my decision and wouldn't switch back unless I started to guide again. I have nothing bad to say about the Water Master, but can see how they could be unsafe for a beginner in moving water!

Hope in some way this post helps someone make an informed decision in the future and if anyone has any questions or would like to try one out in the Spokane area, don't hesitate to PM me.

Blue and troutpocket like this.
  2. Steezn290

Steezn290 Member

Let me say that I can see how any Kickboat or Pontoon boat could be unsafe for a beginner in moving water. I hope someone doesn't head out on a NFO to Class IV rapids thinking it would be any better or safer than a water master. :)

3. pdev

pdev Salmon On the Fly

Go with Scadden, Most of the Bad service comments are anomolies. I believe thaey a have great service based on my experiences.

Blue likes this.
  4. Steezn290

Steezn290 Member

I have a feeling a ton of people would disagree with you. I would say based on a ton of things I have read it is more of a normality than a anomaly. I'm sure plenty of people are happy with his boats and his customer service, after all he is still in business and probably gets it right ever other time. I am not willing to take the risk of having something breaking and not being able to use my boat for months because I have to wait for a part.

Try to find one bad thread about the water master. The only complaint is the foot strap isn't the best, and that was fixed years ago!

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  5. Gregg Lundgren

Gregg Lundgren Now fishing on weekdays too!

Just as an FYI, the last time I spoke with Rich at Big Sky Inflatables(WM), he mentioned to me that development of a two seat frameless was under serious consideration. The conversation just happened to pop-up while I was ordering some WM accessories for use with my Assault XX. Perhaps another choice for customers in the future!:)

I have a WM Kodiak and an Assault XX. I enjoy them both!;)

6. pdev

pdev Salmon On the Fly

I'm sorry, but my opinion is based on my personal experience. I cannot compare the 2 drifters as I have never drifted a Watermaster. I made my purchase based on the reviews i read comparing the 2. The result - most people preferred the handling characteristics of the Assault XX. I read a few negative reviews on Mr Scadden. Since most problems involved distribution I decided to pick up everything at his warehouse with absolutely no problems whatsoever, also I had a face to face with Mr scadden and really don't understand what people find wrong. When I got home in BC Canada with my purchases, I found a slightly stripped oar lock. I called Scadden's, explained my problem and had a replacement Oar lock shipped to my door via UPS at no cost to me IN 3 DAYS.
    That's my experience with Mr. Scadden so I guess we are not in agreement regarding Scadden Service.
    BTW I don't spend my time looking for bad threads, I have better things to do.
    So be it.
    Tight lines
    Pete

7. pdev

pdev Salmon On the Fly

Greg
    That's what I like to hear!!!! Positive comments on both!! I don't think there is much difference but since you have both your comments are meaningful..
    Pete

8. Steezn290

Steezn290 Member

Oh i'm sure they both make good boats... But saying go Scadden with no explanation why you thought that was really odd. Especially right after I gave a review about why I purchased a Water Master and what I thought of them

It would have made more sense if you said I purchased a Scadden and this is why "........." :)

Anyways, i'm glad to hear you have had good luck with scadden and their customer service. Hope to here more/similar reviews in the future!

9. pdev

pdev Salmon On the Fly

You are correct! my initial post was too blunt and not well thought out. I am sure both boats have their good points and it looks like we are both happy with our service so that's great. I too will monitor future reviews.
    Cheers
    Pete

10. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Steezn290,

Glad to read of your positive experiences. I used my WM Kodiak on an 8 day float trip last summer, and am planning a repeat this year.

Sg

11. pdev

pdev Salmon On the Fly

12. pdev

pdev Salmon On the Fly

What area do you usually go to? Just generally. I stay pretty close as I have a place on the Cowichan River in the FF Only section of the upper river. I've drifted the Cowie with my new Scadden and it works well. anchoring with a Scotty rig is a little tricky. Can't wait to try the Lake.

13. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Pdev,

I upgraded to the Kodiak with southwest Alaska float trips in mind, but so far the only over-night trip was the Dean last summer and coming up this summer. Packs well in a Beaver or helicopter.

Sg

14. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

I've owned a watermaster silvertip and an assaultxx

The watermaster seems like it's the more durable boat long term.

The AssaultXX rows easier even though it's a two man boat. However, it feels cheaper and less durable.

I think if you saw both boats side by side 8 out of 10 people would choose the watermaster if the price was the same. It's clearly a better made boat and will last a lot longer than the NFO stuff. The material seems heftier, the seams seem sturdier, and the finish is much better than the NFO products.

That being said, can you really beat the value of NFO boats? There was an Assault on the classified for $600 the other day. That's a damn fine boat for $600! I love rowing my assault. It's a great boat even loaded up with a bunch of gear and two guys. I am just worried when something goes wrong I'll be out of commission for a couple months waiting for parts. Only time will tell in terms of durability.

Gregg Lundgren likes this.
  15. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:

I am truly not trying to start anything here, but I would like to know, what parts are you referring to?