Dear Fly Shops... the upsell

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Jered, Sep 27, 2013.

1. wadin' boot

wadin' boot Donny, you're out of your element...

Home Page:
    Whining about fly shop service on the internet doesn't do you or the shops involved any favors. If you got a beef, bring it up with management.

2. Peyton00

Peyton00 Active Member

"lighten up Francis" he was sharing a life experience.

3. Irafly

Irafly Indi "Ira" Jones

"Lighten up Francis" he was just sharing his logical opinion on an open debate.

I just love the "Lighten Up" argument. As soon as you use it you likely need it yourself. :)

constructeur and Jim Wallace like this.
  4. FinLuver

FinLuver Active Member

...and surly bartenders. ;)

5. David Dalan

David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

They're probably trying to clear our discontinues Lameson models (I think the Velocity is no more...was gone of the webstie and I bought one on clearance). But weak as shit to be sure.

If things are so tight that a shop has to call me over a $114 mistake, I admit I'd probably bring it back and that would be that. I'd shop elsewhere after that.

dfl likes this.
  6. Jered

Jered Active Member

Francis,

I agree. The owner of the shop was involved with the rod incident. I further expressed my disappointment via email and received and half way apology and excuse for the mishap.

However, whining on the internet has covered the toll cost for my next trip to Tacoma. ;)

7. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:

Absolutely, but that was Robert Duvall, portraying Augustus Mcrae. He laid a hurtin' on the bartender though.

8. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

I bought my current go to rod for $189. A week later the same rod went on sale for$69 at the same fly shop. My next visit, I mentioned this. They told me to produce a receipt and it would be taken care of. As luck would have it, the receipt was at home, not in my truck. When I next made it over I produced said receipt, but was told the return policy was expired. I didn't bitch, it was my fault. I Got Got. My fault. I still go there. It's not their fault I'm a easy sell.

Irafly likes this.
  9. golfman65

golfman65 Guest

isn't trout waters in kamloops???

10. chewydog

chewydog Active Member

Had a similar experience when I bought my XP, and then it discontinued five days later. I didn't try to return the rod, but mentioned it to the owner. He gave me the difference of the close out price in store credit. Worked great for me.

11. Brian Thomas

Brian Thomas Active Member

I wish . Nick and Savas run a great shop .
    But it`s in Kelowna .

12. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

Two things I learned a long time ago: Timing is everything and if you wait long enough, everything will go on sale at some point. It doesn't hurt to ask but shop ownwers are not under any requirement to make up for bad timing. Those that do or will are exceptional and that's why they are still in business and we patronize them. Good on Anil for his offer to pay your toll. That's real customer service.

PT likes this.
  13. golfman65

golfman65 Guest

Dahhh....yeah met Savas this time up north..met Nick up there before...those guys have saved my butt on stuff for my scadden..that didn't come through from him...great guys!!!

14. Russ T. Streamers

Russ T. Streamers New Member

I'm not real impressed by a shop calling you up and asking for another $114, but I don't think anyone that fly fishes would recommend using a 5 wt on Cohos or a 6 wt on Chums, even if they weren't in the market to sell you something. Can you land fish on an under gunned rod, sure, but when you have the chance of hooking wild fish you should be using the right tool for the job so you don't kill the fish trying to land it. My two cents

Lugan and Don Freeman like this.
  15. John Hicks

John Hicks Owner and operator of Sea Run Pursuits

Home Page:
    As if Anil and Puget Sound Fly Company, don't need any more positive feedback on this thread. I will throw my vote in for them as well.

A few years ago I had some issues with a major manufacturer in the fly fishing industry. Well it was more with someone low in the shop. Now even though I did not buy the product from Anil, he went out of his way to give me names and emails to people who could help me.

After doing that small act of selflessness, Anil earned not only my respect, but my business.